I am STRESSED! HR problems, no replacement, nerves AARUGHHH!

HokeyReligions

I gave notice on Monday that I'm leaving. I called my agency to get them started on finding a replacement. They sent some resume's. We interviewed one person on Tuesday -- No Go. Interviewed two people yesterday. The first one would have been perfect, but she decided that downtown was too far for her and declined. It was a close second with the second interview, so when the first one declined my boss said to get the second one. He ran out last night so I called the HR manager, who had reservations about her. Now, the HR manager is not going to be working with this person and really does not know what the job entails. Anyway, the HR manager said she would put in a call to have the woman start today.

I get in this morning and the agency calls me and tells me that they got a very early morning phone call to cancel! The poor woman was already up and getting dressed to start work and they had to tell her no. I find out that the HR manager called my boss's boss and they decided that this woman wasn't right. Now, my boss's boss did not even meet her or interview her. The HR manager said she had a blank look on her face when asked certain questions. I think she was just nervous. I know I'm leaving this job in two days, but I'm really concerned about them having adequate help! I need to train a new person!!!!!

Plus, I'm having those new-job-jitters too and getting that "what have I gotten myself into" feeling about my new job that starts on Monday. I know its just normal anxiety when going into a new situation, but I still feel that way.

I wish I could have both jobs!!!!!

Hoke, I'll say to you what I said to someone else the other day. Never stay at a job out of loyalty. Those people you're all worried about didn't give you a permanent position. Not only that, but people move on all the time. Even the bosses you like could conceivably ditch that place and move on. When it comes to work life, think of yourself first and don't worry about the organization. They'll manage. And you'll rock in the new job.

• Author
HokeyReligions

Thank you, Moi.

The job I'm leaving is strictly a contract position. It will never be a permanent job. Even my boss is on contract, as is the whole team. It's just that I really like the team and I don't want to let anyone down, plus who knows what the future will hold. I'm still in a related field and want to stay on good terms with everyone. They are development and where I'm going is operations -- knowing people and maintaining contacts may mean business for my future company.

We have someone interviewing tomorrow morning, but she won't be able to start work right away, so I will come up and work with her on Saturday. I may work some evenings with her as well -- but that will wear me out! I'll call her on my lunch hour every day and ask her to have any questions she may have ready for me.

They are taking me out to lunch tomorrow (Benihana! Yum!) and people have been coming by and hugging me and stuff all day today!

Wow, you are really going above and beyond considering it was a contract position. Hopefully your replacement will be a quick study so you don't feel you are ditching your team.

I am so excited for you, I'll be living vicariously through you as I'm going through a bit of a job slump right now but not ready to move on yet.

Hokey, you have enough problems of your own, don't go letting these folks make THEIR HR struggles YOUR problem. Sounds like mismanagement is definitely a factor in why they don't have your replacement yet. And do keep in mind that if they had made your job worth keeping, or possible for you to keep, they wouldn't need to be looking for anyone right now.

• Author
HokeyReligions

It's over. What a day. We hired a replacement this morning and she went ahead and stayed all day so I was able to work with her. All the hubbub about how long the position will last finally came down to only three more months. That's her deadline (would have been mine too).

The job was worth keeping, but when you work on engineering projects you move from project to project. The partner companies build teams from the best available so everyone comes from different companies. We go in knowing that its never going to be a permanent job and I knew that going in also. When a project ends everyone moves on. Part of one partners' contribution is office space, so even though I was working in XYZ's offices, we were never part of XYZ company. Everything from office lease, furniture, equipment, salary - even coffee & office supplies is billable to the project. Nothing goes to a partner's overhead.

The new woman worked out well today, I'm sure she will do fine and the procedure book that I wrote will help her. They were all suitably impressed and even the agency I went through to get that job was very impressed and because I managed to keep that agency in place there I have a great reputation (and a bonus from them) because if I hadn't engineered that, they would have lost it to another agency. It's hard to explain, but I did good. I'm patting myself on the back here a bit, I know, but I did a very good job there and I'm proud of my accomplishments. I've left jobs before through mergers and I didn't feel as good about the job I did when I left them. This gave me closure too - just like romantic relationships that end need closure. We all parted on good terms and have a strong network and that is important.

One woman came in today with a big box from Crate & Barrel for me -- a beautiful vase that she gave me as a going-away gift. I threw an impromptu office party for her when she got her US drivers license and her cake had a little red VW Bug on it and I made a Congrat's sign for her cake with the Italian flag on it. She is just so sweet. Those folks made me cry! I had the stuffing hugged out of me today! Many of the people I worked with are Italian and I had my cheeks kissed a bunch of times!

My boss was addicted to my fudge, I'd brought it in several times over the year or so I was there and I made a special batch for him last night. When my husband dropped me at the bus stop this morning I got on the bus and the second my ass hit the seat I realized I'd left the fudge at home! Hubby came to pick me up downtown so he could bring the fudge and when my now former-boss saw it his face just lit up! Then he hid it in his desk and asked if anyone else knew about it! He also kissed me good-bye, but we'll stay in touch. Oh, if I were single.... :p

I don't need to work with the new girl on Saturday, but we agreed that she would get whatever questions she may have in a list and I'll call her on my lunch break to see if she needs any help. I don't mind - those folks are almost like family and I want to help. I actually had to tear my husband away from my boss to leave today because they got to talking about movies and planes (my former boss is a pilot) and when those two get to gabbing they can lose themselves in conversation for hours!

Now I'm going to focus on the new challenges I'll face on Monday. I hope I can build as strong a relationship with my new boss and co-workers as I did on this last project. I learned so much over the last couple of years and now I'm going to put that to good use for my new company.

Thank you all for the well-wishes and support and just 'listening' to me vent my anxiety here! You have helped me more than you know.

Then he hid it in his desk and asked if anyone else knew about it!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

why do I get a mental image of you in a hurried, whispered phone conversation at the new place, with directions to bring the "stuff" but to come incognito so that no one knows you're packing chocolate? :p