Doubts About New Job

I recently got hired for a management trainee position that I really wanted. I start next week, and should be really excited, but I'm not. I feel for some reason that I'm making the wrong decision. I accepted the job exactly a week ago - the hiring manager said that he would meet with me to talk about the details before I start working (Feb. 14 is my start date), or if he was unable to, he'd have the store contact me about what time I'm supposed to come in, etc. I was curious about dress code and if I needed to buy new clothes - it's less than a week from my start date. My manager at my current job encouraged me to call the store and introduce myself and ask. She incidentally just got a new job herself - she's more outgoing than me and has been calling asking questions about her future job, and has said they've been really helpful and friendly. Well, I called today and spoke to the manager who wasn't aware that they were getting a new trainee. I told her what the hiring manager had said - originally I was supposed to start out at a different store, but they decided to put me on a fast track program, so I'd train at two different locations, her store first. She answered my questions about the dress code and told me she'd get with him to find out what she needed to do. She wasn't very nice, though she was probably surprised I'd imagine. I feel a little less anxiety - I hate waiting on things, and am always convinced that something will go wrong. Now I feel kind of silly for calling, sigh. I can't believe she had no clue that I was coming. I had thought they were more organized than that since they have seemed well organized throughout this looooong hiring process. Though, I know this manager is a very busy person.

Anyway, this combined with the fact that I'm really starting to miss the store, even though I still have three more days, has me feeling some doubt. I know I should be happy about this, because I will get the opportunity to learn how to be a manager and make more money, have more hours, with benefits. I hesitated because this type of store is very different from my current workplace, but I figured I could take my training and apply for management jobs in a different sector of retail if I decided I wanted to leave the company. Though, it will be very hard to apply and interview working 50 hours a week. They have been pretty good so far at this new job about letting me know what's going on, but my current boss has been good to me, too, and I somehow feel I'm letting him down. I know it's probably too late with me having given notice a week ago. I know he's probably not worried about filling my spot right away because our manager is leaving, which was a real shocker. Plus, he procrastinates. He has been asking other employees if I really want to do this and what exactly I'll be doing, but he hasn't said much to me. I don't know if I should talk to him about my doubts or just keep quiet. I'm just so worried that this new job won't work out, then I will be left with nothing. I have no solid reason to feel that way, it's just an irking feeling. Is this normal? Should I be worrying this much or do I have real reason to worry? If anyone else is going through something like this, do you have the same crazy, mixed emotions?

I'd say you're just feeling the pre-job jitters. It's happened to me before when I thought the job I had accepted may be over my head or that I really wasn't qualified to do it. Some things can sound so much harder when you've already convinced yourself that you're not prepared. I wouldn't let this get to you too much. Everyone has a learning curve when they start a new job and no one is going to expect you to be an expert your first week.

Never stay at a job out of loyalty to your boss or colleagues. If you do, you'll find them not doing the same - they'll leave at the first good opportunity and there you'll be, stuck. No promotion, all your buds gone, and you kick yourself.

Sounds like normal new-job-jitters. They need some communication and organization and it sounds like you are the one to bring that into play. You are already compiling a list of concerns that you want to address--communication being one of them. I'll bet you'll do just fine. Its scary stepping out of a place where you are comfortable and know what you are doing and into a new environment with new challenges. Everyone has a learning curve they must navigate before they can expect to accomplish the kinds of things others already past that curve have accomplished.

You have to build a relationship with the people before they can depend totally on you, and they have to do the same before you can depend on them.