Address

High School

Dates attended

Address

Achievements in school

Work experience-Dates, and description of duties

Volunteer Experience- Dates, and description of duties

Personal Qualities

There are many different Resume formats. Some put more emphasis on talent & special achievements; others on work history & experience. Choose one that best highlights your assets for the specific type of job you are seeking. Don't overlook the value of a good cover letter customized for a specific employer or position. (It helps to know about the company & the job--do your research). In the letter, state why you are interested in working for them and how you are suited to what they are looking for.

When I was job-hunting, I had one generic, one for accounting positions & a third for project management. Because I was transitioning from full time bartending to the kinds of work mentioned above, I framed my resumes to highlight my attributes as bullet points and put job history at the end.

In the history, I listed employment by type rather than by employer name --I combined the three bartending jobs I had held as one entry (from-to) and put emphasis on jobs that were related to what I was seeking (even though part time/short term) by listing the jobs/experience individually.

Google "resumes" and you will find templates and guidance. Employment agencies will also provide assistance.

Good luck.

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

I'm not great at resumes, but here are a few tips.

Read job postings for the types of job you'll be looking for, find the key words and make sure those key words are visible in appropriate places in your resume. Keep it relevant. If you are applying for CEO of a company you probably don't need to include your volunteer work you did in high school.

Most people should be able to get their resume onto 2 pages. If you are younger, one might even be more appropriate.

Also if you are done college I would not put your high school information there. Even if you're still in college I'd probably think twice about it. It is typically the perquisite for college anyway.

Edited by GunslingerRoland
added a paragraph

How far into your field are you? If just starting out I would put things like school at the top since you aren't likely to have much job experience. If more experienced then you can put it at the end and put the experience higher.

If you're going through a website application make sure to put the key words from the job description as that software scans for keywords to look for potential fits for an opening.

• Like 2
There are many different Resume formats. Some put more emphasis on talent & special achievements; others on work history & experience. Choose one that best highlights your assets for the specific type of job you are seeking. Don't overlook the value of a good cover letter customized for a specific employer or position. (It helps to know about the company & the job--do your research). In the letter, state why you are interested in working for them and how you are suited to what they are looking for.

When I was job-hunting, I had one generic, one for accounting positions & a third for project management. Because I was transitioning from full time bartending to the kinds of work mentioned above, I framed my resumes to highlight my attributes as bullet points and put job history at the end.

In the history, I listed employment by type rather than by employer name --I combined the three bartending jobs I had held as one entry (from-to) and put emphasis on jobs that were related to what I was seeking (even though part time/short term) by listing the jobs/experience individually.

Google "resumes" and you will find templates and guidance. Employment agencies will also provide assistance.

Good luck.

Agreed. Your resume should be tailored to suit each job you are applying for. I usually lead with my related work history and related skills as I want to highlight those things right away, instead of having the reader first have to read a bunch of history and schooling that has nothing to do with the postion I'm applying for. Also include a cover letter that is created specifically around your knowledge of the company and the available position.

My tips:

1. Short. 2 pages tops, 3 if you are over 40yo.

2. Tailored. Get rid of any job that is not relevant to the one you are applying to.

3. Keywords. Make sure that all your job titles or content use the same language as the offer you are applying for. Example: If they use the word "secretary" instead of "assistant", change it on your resume accordingly.

And another tip free of charge: Except for extremely rare individuals, HR people are at the very bottom of the food chain. As a senior manager in a multinational firm I can tell you that it is a well-known fact that the HR department is often referred as the "quota department" for we used it to place people necessary to fill our quota of a certain type of people who would be mostly unemployable otherwise.

What I mean to say is: You need to tailor your resume to an HR person will understand it. In other words, it has to be understood by a 4yo child with a very severe mental disability. So, as we do with children, you need to make your resume match the offer to-the-T, because otherwise the HR person will think that someone who has worked as an assistant was doing a completely different work as someone who was working as a secretary.

I truly wish I was kidding.

GunslingerRoland

I'd read the advice of the person above with a grain of salt. (nothing personal)

I know a lot of people who work in HR who are highly paid individuals and very intelligent. Most people I know in HR have university degrees.

As well, in the large company I work at, HR only does a very quick screen of resumes to make sure it is generally applicable to the job. (i.e.: meets the basic requirements for education and experience).

The hiring manager is usually someone who is in the department and actually understands the technical lingo of the job being applied for.

I work in IT, and I go through a lot of resumes, and I tell you, if someone tried to dumb down their resume to be read by a small child, they would come off looking badly for it.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 1
I'd read the advice of the person above with a grain of salt. (nothing personal)

I know a lot of people who work in HR who are highly paid individuals and very intelligent. Most people I know in HR have university degrees.

As well, in the large company I work at, HR only does a very quick screen of resumes to make sure it is generally applicable to the job. (i.e.: meets the basic requirements for education and experience).

The hiring manager is usually someone who is in the department and actually understands the technical lingo of the job being applied for.

I work in IT, and I go through a lot of resumes, and I tell you, if someone tried to dumb down their resume to be read by a small child, they would come off looking badly for it.

1. I would not associate university degree with being smart. I too, have one, by the way, and an MBA as well. As an IT guy you should know the vast difference between, say, and Engineering degree, and a degree in Arts.

2. A 4yo child cannot make far associations. For instance, you will often hear them talk about "daddy's car" whenever they see a car that resembles dad's car, regardless of whether the car is actually the same or not. For that reason, when dealing with HR, you need to use the exact same words as in their ad. Most of them (but not all, of course) have just enough brain juice to pass the day and something as complicated as reading words other than the ones written in the ad is far beyond their abilities.

3. I will use an IT example: Try to apply for a job as SQL programmer writing on your resume that you have 10 years of experience writing COBOL for the banking industry. As an IT guy, you will know that an experienced COBOL programmer needs about 5 seconds to master SQL querying. Now try that with your average HR person and see how it sinks.

Peace, friend.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
rude ~T
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Best resume tips I've ever seen are by Allison Green at Ask a Manager. Basically, you have to focus on what about you is of interest to an employer. She goes into detail and makes it easy to do for yourself.