What are the best job boards?

not sure where other people have been hired from but I have hired from Linkedin, Craigslist (it's tough but can be done..lots of trash on there to weed thru) a few school websites and a website called Momcorp.

All of those places yielded quality people that are still at work here today....

I wouldn't use Monster if you paid me, I did twice and only got trash, spam and it was a waste of money.

I have always had better luck with a smaller, industry specific board.

Like dating, OL is only one tool. You have to do in person networking too. Also try local job fairs.

• Like 2

I applied for my current job through Indeed. My last job was from LinkedIn. A recruiter found my resume on there and contacted me. I've never liked Monster because it is filled with lots of work from home jobs that sound shady. Indeed has that too a bit, but you can usually set your search to exclude stuff like that.

It depends on what you are looking for. I would say in general LinkedIn is best for recruiters to find you. It really depends and can be industry specific.

JustGettingBy
I applied for my current job through Indeed. My last job was from LinkedIn. A recruiter found my resume on there and contacted me. I've never liked Monster because it is filled with lots of work from home jobs that sound shady. Indeed has that too a bit, but you can usually set your search to exclude stuff like that.

I've also found enough postings on monster to turn me away from that site, I wouldn't recommend it.

Indeed can be good, but the posts are usually re-posts.

LinkedIn is really good for anyone with experience, but hard for someone just starting.

Stay away from Monster or Headhunter... same recycled trash jobs that make you fill out all those spam filled 3rd party applications trying to sell you a new college degree or refinance your home. Stay away from Craigslist too unless you are looking for a general labor type of job as most of the ads are scams and will litter your email inbox with spam for the rest of your life.

If you have real talent in your industry use LinkedIn. Make sure to include a current photo of your face and showcase all certifications, degrees and relevant experience. It's a living resume and it's what legit recruiters will look at. Update it regularly even if you landed your job to keep it fresh. I'd recommend using the Job Seeker Premium version for a few months since it'll put your profile on the top of available candidates and you'll be able to send private messages to recruiters directly. Some people say bad things about LinkedIn but likely their skill set sucks, they don't know how to network, their profile sucks or they don't have any relevant experience in today's job market.

Another good one if you are in the IT field is Dice.

Edited by loverboy69
I have always had better luck with a smaller, industry specific board.

Like dating, OL is only one tool. You have to do in person networking too. Also try local job fairs.

Haven't had much success with online job boards that were for private industry. The federal and/or state job board seem more legit.

But yeah, word of mouth, volunteering, knowing people to make connections seems to be the best way.

Don't know anymore about job fairs, they seem to just tell you to apply on their website

The last time I was looking for a job was 5 years ago. I'd moved 600 miles away, to a new (severely depressed) town, had sporadic employment for the last 10 years (relocated a LOT for my SO's career), at the depths of the recession. Jobs were really hard to come by. Didn't help I was 50, either.

I found (then) that I had 0% success using the job boards. Jobs that I was more-than-qualified for never even acknowledged receiving my resume, and I got NO interviews. My success rate went waaaay up when I invested the time and energy (and yes, it took a LOT of both) in creating a hotlinked list of all the employers in my field and then pain-stakingly and daily visited each and every one of them, scouring the jobs.

Finally, I got a response and was asked to interview. I was one of two finalists, but the job I went for went to the other candidate; she'd worked for this major corporation, before, so she was a known entity. BUT, the person I'd interviewed with knew of another job coming available, and I was offered that position before they even posted it.

So, I - like others who've posted - favor the employer-direct boards; I had much better luck with them...it seemed like I was less likely to be just another resume to read.

Good luck, OP!