Jealousy in the work place.

I'm a consultant, book writer, and teach a couple classes on the road.

I have a very close friend that is an English major. About 8 months ago I hire her to help me update all my teaching material and to help me publish 5 new books. She has not done any work for me for about 50 days.

She asked me out to dinner about 2 weeks ago and was thinking it had something to do with the work she did for me. It turns out she wants to date me and have been seeing each other every couple nights.

I have one secretary that has worked for me for a few years. There have been a bunch of times that she has made it known that she has feelings for me. She also gets very jealous any time she thinks I'm seeing someone. Last week she got her last written warning about this behavior and professionalism. The next incident she will be fired.

I need help understanding this type of jealousy.

What is there to understand?

You secretary is acting unprofessionally.

I take it she knows she is one move away from being dismissed?

on what grounds would you be firing her?

I take it your not in the UK ...as jealousy isn't a reason to fire someone here. How does she display her jealousy? Is she rude to those you date or to you?

Sidenote ... business and pleasure don't always mix well. Your friend hasn't done any work for 50 days and now you're dating...is that a wise move?

You have to be honest with yourself and see how you have contributed to this problem. Most people, as you can see from entries on this board, won't just come out to their boss with "I'm interested in you" without some encouragement, which could be either getting too personal with them or having had a fling in the past or just anything out of the professional realm. I think maybe it's time you hired yourself an older female assistant so things won't get complicated.