Learning About Social Media And Marketing ...

Under The Radar

Hello Everyone,

I am a personal trainer working in a mid sized city. I operate a private studio that accommodates one on one sessions with clients.

The problem I am having is getting visibility and exposure at this point in my career. I do not have much difficulty with client retention, but rather letting people know I exist. Word of mouth and magazine advertisements worked well for me in the past. However, the last four advertisements I put out did not garner me a single lead ...... not one e-mail or phone call. Most people who choose to come in for an orientation session end up purchasing a 10 pack from me. Many of the individuals I train will continue to work with me for years.

I met some remarkable clients through identical advertising in the same magazine 8,9, and 10 years ago. I was doing well enough that for many years I didn't need to market my services. Client retention was high, advertisements were paying off, and my work with new clients introduced me to new prospects due to positive testimonials. I was recommended to friends of friends, spouses, and work colleagues.

Unfortunately, for the first time in about six years, I have taken a hit in my client load. The vicissitudes of life has resulted in a loss of some important long term clients ...... divorce, cancer, and relocation to other cities are some examples. Many of these changes have occurred quickly, one after the other, making it difficult to fill in these gaps as fast as I'd like to.

Many of my clients and friends have suggested building a presence on social media as a marketing tool. A friend of mine is going to do the word smithing on my website to enhance search engine optimization. He has told me that Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are important for me to have as links on my website. My website is nice, but again, it's getting people to my website in the first place.

I have never participated in social media before and don't have a good understanding of it. I had a smart phone for a couple of years, but never really used it. I went back to a basic flip phone when my contract expired. I primarily communicate with people through a landline and e-mail. I don't have the type of business that requires a lot of e-mail or internet time.

I should mention I am extremely introverted and spend a lot of time alone. I'm not shy, but do not get out much. My clients and friends have told me it is important for me to meet people more often IRL. They say I am a convincing testimonial for my business ...... I'm well spoken, well dressed, intelligent,fit and have relatable philosophies on health. I've noticed when I do get out and about it is easier to market myself indirectly. People tend to like me and ask questions about what I do. That almost invariably leads to a connection and more questions about my skill set. So, maybe there is something to being less reclusive when I'm not training people.

My building houses both my living quarters and gym. I live in a large loft above the training studio. I designed things that way so it would be easier on my schedule. As a trainer I work 6 days a week ...... mornings, afternoons, and evenings. It was much harder to go back and forth when my studio and home were separate. With the current set up it's far easier to schedule people at any time of the day or evening. Nevertheless, I've become more of a hermit because it doesn't force me to travel for work or to even leave the premises on any given day.

Yesterday, I signed up for Facebook and built a page on Yelp during the holidays. I have not signed up for Twitter or Instagram yet. I have to admit I am a little overwhelmed with the idea of tackling social media ...... it's definitely outside my comfort zone. Now that I have a Facebook page I'm not sure what to do with it.

I thought maybe it would be beneficial to come onto LoveShack and post a thread in the business section. If anyone has any advice ...... or insight to offer ...... it would be a great help ...... thanks.

In this day and age it's absolutely ESSENTIAL to market yourself on social media platforms. Despite being late to the game, you can quickly turn that around by the right usage of these areas. My brother is also a personal trainer and was successful enough that he recently opened his own gym two years ago and is in the process of expanding so I'm familiar with the task of attracting clients in this industry.

As you probably well know the fitness and health industry is a multi billion dollar business that is literally everywhere nowadays. In order to attract clients you have to offer something that others in your area don't have.

Do you have the ability to hire someone or delegate the marketing and advertising to someone who is more tech savvy? Or do you have the finances to pay an outside agency to do so for you? If money is tight then I'll say that the financial investment you put into social media advert and marketing is 100% worth the money and initial setback in your wallet. The word of mouth you can do on your own that reaches 5 people can be done in 5 minutes on Facebook or Twitter and reach hundreds. It's worth the effort trust me.

Create Facebook, Instagram, Twitter , group on profiles and branch out from there as you get more familiar. Since its January you know that this is the new year boom when people have their "resolutions of starting the gym, losing weight, etc" so it's prime time for you to get the word out.

Instagram - upload photos of your studio with hashtags that people can commonly come across when they search. Videos of your clients so people can see what they'd be signing up for.

Facebook- set up a page for your business where you describe it and post flyers about your options and workout plans. I suggest promoting discounts and deals to attract people at first and then bump up their cost after a month or a set number of sessions u decide on.

Groupon- This is where you can promote training program discounts. Ex. 2016 Personal Training Special Offer - 2 free sessions, or 10 sessions for $400. Good through 1/30. Whatever you come up with.

You have to honestly treat these platforms as employees of yours. They're doing the work of progressing your business so you will only get what you put into it. If you're an old school kind of guy then I suggest finding someone who can properly set this up for you instead of half assing it and wondering why it doesn't work.

• Like 2
  • Author
Under The Radar
In this day and age it's absolutely ESSENTIAL to market yourself on social media platforms. Despite being late to the game, you can quickly turn that around by the right usage of these areas. My brother is also a personal trainer and was successful enough that he recently opened his own gym two years ago and is in the process of expanding so I'm familiar with the task of attracting clients in this industry.

As you probably well know the fitness and health industry is a multi billion dollar business that is literally everywhere nowadays. In order to attract clients you have to offer something that others in your area don't have.

Do you have the ability to hire someone or delegate the marketing and advertising to someone who is more tech savvy? Or do you have the finances to pay an outside agency to do so for you? If money is tight then I'll say that the financial investment you put into social media advert and marketing is 100% worth the money and initial setback in your wallet. The word of mouth you can do on your own that reaches 5 people can be done in 5 minutes on Facebook or Twitter and reach hundreds. It's worth the effort trust me.

Create Facebook, Instagram, Twitter , group on profiles and branch out from there as you get more familiar. Since its January you know that this is the new year boom when people have their "resolutions of starting the gym, losing weight, etc" so it's prime time for you to get the word out.

Instagram - upload photos of your studio with hashtags that people can commonly come across when they search. Videos of your clients so people can see what they'd be signing up for.

Facebook- set up a page for your business where you describe it and post flyers about your options and workout plans. I suggest promoting discounts and deals to attract people at first and then bump up their cost after a month or a set number of sessions u decide on.

Groupon- This is where you can promote training program discounts. Ex. 2016 Personal Training Special Offer - 2 free sessions, or 10 sessions for $400. Good through 1/30. Whatever you come up with.

You have to honestly treat these platforms as employees of yours. They're doing the work of progressing your business so you will only get what you put into it. If you're an old school kind of guy then I suggest finding someone who can properly set this up for you instead of half assing it and wondering why it doesn't work.

Hi Qboro90,

Thank you for reading my post and offering such a detailed response. Your advice is already being put into practice and gives me "food for thought" ...... I appreciate the help. The friend requests, likes, and positive reviews are already pouring in.

I commend your brother for building a successful personal training business ...... we need knowledgable people working in the field. I value his commitment and passion to helping people improve their quality of life.

It's true that standing out in the fitness industry is getting harder and harder without the correct marketing efforts. When I first started professionally training in the late 90's it was easier as the field wasn't nearly as saturated. Good personal training didn't receive the respect and visibility it tends to attract now a days.

As you mentioned, it is critical to offer an environment and services that are not easily matched by competitors in the area ...... in that regard I shine. However, a high training IQ, high EQ, and a cutting edge facility will not sustain success without effective marketing efforts. It is in this realm that most of my time and resources will be allocated towards over the next several years.

Again, thank you for the post :)

• Like 1

I recommend advertising in the local free pick-up magazines, maybe a front-cover advert or full-page advert, with testimonials (real ones, not actors pretending to be customers), get someone knowledgeable about graphic design and InDesign/Photoshop to do the advert, and you could get business from that.

But, the best way to get publicity, go on your local radio station's breakfast or drivetime show, offer to coach the presenters, get yourself free publicity (and it's even better than social media, since you're interacting in person with clients too, and gaining exposure). Choose large stations, not small ones which are voicetracked most of the day.

Over here in the United Kingdom, it'd be a station like Signal 1 Stoke-on-Trent or Viking FM in Hull, for that sort of thing.

Edited by solway86
  • Like 1
  • Author
Under The Radar
I recommend advertising in the local free pick-up magazines, maybe a front-cover advert or full-page advert, with testimonials (real ones, not actors pretending to be customers), get someone knowledgeable about graphic design and InDesign/Photoshop to do the advert, and you could get business from that.

But, the best way to get publicity, go on your local radio station's breakfast or drivetime show, offer to coach the presenters, get yourself free publicity (and it's even better than social media, since you're interacting in person with clients too, and gaining exposure). Choose large stations, not small ones which are voicetracked most of the day.

Over here in the United Kingdom, it'd be a station like Signal 1 Stoke-on-Trent or Viking FM in Hull, for that sort of thing.

Hi Solway86,

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

I am making myself more visible online ATM, but free magazines that are mailed throughout the community is an avenue I've often used over the years. One such magazine has agreed to write an editorial about me for the issue coming out in May. The last editorial I was interviewed for resulted in an acquisition of five long term clients with an additional two from those people's testimonials. Word of mouth will always be my best marketing tool and has served me well over the years.

I never thought about radio advertising, but it's a possible consideration. As my username implies I don't like to stand out too often. I prefer flying under the radar most of the time to being in the spotlight. I'm sure you can see the conflict there regarding my introversion and need to market myself. It's an interesting dichotomy I'm always working to balance out.

I should mention that I don't need as many patrons as the average business. Gaining one good client significantly increases my revenue and enhances my quality of life. I've found that 20 clients is the sweet spot for me in terms of time, energy, and money. I've had a lot more at different stages of my career and found myself burning out.

All the best -

UTR

Hi Solway86,

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

I am making myself more visible online ATM, but free magazines that are mailed throughout the community is an avenue I've often used over the years. One such magazine has agreed to write an editorial about me for the issue coming out in May. The last editorial I was interviewed for resulted in an acquisition of five long term clients with an additional two from those people's testimonials. Word of mouth will always be my best marketing tool and has served me well over the years.

I never thought about radio advertising, but it's a possible consideration. As my username implies I don't like to stand out too often. I prefer flying under the radar most of the time to being in the spotlight. I'm sure you can see the conflict there regarding my introversion and need to market myself. It's an interesting dichotomy I'm always working to balance out.

I should mention that I don't need as many patrons as the average business. Gaining one good client significantly increases my revenue and enhances my quality of life. I've found that 20 clients is the sweet spot for me in terms of time, energy, and money. I've had a lot more at different stages of my career and found myself burning out.

All the best -

UTR

Being on the radio isn't as much about you being seen [except by the presenters] but about emphasis on verbal and social presentation.

I can see your contradiction. However, it does work, depending on the size of the station you advertise on.

nomadic_butterfly
Hello Everyone,

I am a personal trainer working in a mid sized city. I operate a private studio that accommodates one on one sessions with clients.

The problem I am having is getting visibility and exposure at this point in my career. I do not have much difficulty with client retention, but rather letting people know I exist. Word of mouth and magazine advertisements worked well for me in the past. However, the last four advertisements I put out did not garner me a single lead ...... not one e-mail or phone call. Most people who choose to come in for an orientation session end up purchasing a 10 pack from me. Many of the individuals I train will continue to work with me for years.

I met some remarkable clients through identical advertising in the same magazine 8,9, and 10 years ago. I was doing well enough that for many years I didn't need to market my services. Client retention was high, advertisements were paying off, and my work with new clients introduced me to new prospects due to positive testimonials. I was recommended to friends of friends, spouses, and work colleagues.

Unfortunately, for the first time in about six years, I have taken a hit in my client load. The vicissitudes of life has resulted in a loss of some important long term clients ...... divorce, cancer, and relocation to other cities are some examples. Many of these changes have occurred quickly, one after the other, making it difficult to fill in these gaps as fast as I'd like to.

Many of my clients and friends have suggested building a presence on social media as a marketing tool. A friend of mine is going to do the word smithing on my website to enhance search engine optimization. He has told me that Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are important for me to have as links on my website. My website is nice, but again, it's getting people to my website in the first place.

I have never participated in social media before and don't have a good understanding of it. I had a smart phone for a couple of years, but never really used it. I went back to a basic flip phone when my contract expired. I primarily communicate with people through a landline and e-mail. I don't have the type of business that requires a lot of e-mail or internet time.

I should mention I am extremely introverted and spend a lot of time alone. I'm not shy, but do not get out much. My clients and friends have told me it is important for me to meet people more often IRL. They say I am a convincing testimonial for my business ...... I'm well spoken, well dressed, intelligent,fit and have relatable philosophies on health. I've noticed when I do get out and about it is easier to market myself indirectly. People tend to like me and ask questions about what I do. That almost invariably leads to a connection and more questions about my skill set. So, maybe there is something to being less reclusive when I'm not training people.

My building houses both my living quarters and gym. I live in a large loft above the training studio. I designed things that way so it would be easier on my schedule. As a trainer I work 6 days a week ...... mornings, afternoons, and evenings. It was much harder to go back and forth when my studio and home were separate. With the current set up it's far easier to schedule people at any time of the day or evening. Nevertheless, I've become more of a hermit because it doesn't force me to travel for work or to even leave the premises on any given day.

Yesterday, I signed up for Facebook and built a page on Yelp during the holidays. I have not signed up for Twitter or Instagram yet. I have to admit I am a little overwhelmed with the idea of tackling social media ...... it's definitely outside my comfort zone. Now that I have a Facebook page I'm not sure what to do with it.

I thought maybe it would be beneficial to come onto LoveShack and post a thread in the business section. If anyone has any advice ...... or insight to offer ...... it would be a great help ...... thanks.

Social media is critical! Does your friend also know about PPC? You might want to invest in PPC in addition to SEO and social media marketing.The only thing I'll have to say with platforms like FB, you need to think of giveaways, contests and posts that help followers to be engaged with your page. You can also post tips maybe short videos of your trainings in action. Promoted posts are the best way to start!

PPC is the most immediate as far as results are concerned but it is highly dependent on your market and competitive landscape. SEO takes more time to prove its value but having your company's name synonymous with a term like "physical trainer" in local search engines is advantageous. Also make sure you have a Yelp and Google+ account. Fitness magazines, directories, etc. might also be a good avenue.

I would also suggest referral bonuses or $ off for members who refer others. Maybe, get x amount of people to signup and get $X off your next session or 1 session free. Or have a flat amount you will give per a signup like $10 or something (or a percentage, not sure of your fee structure and how much you charge). Since you have a high retention rate, maybe something like free 30 min consultation for the first 20 people who sign up? You can ask for their names, phone numbers, email, a brief summary about their fitness goals, etc. After the consultation, follow up with an email.

Qboro had some fantastic recommendations!

Edited by nomadic_butterfly
  • Like 1
MuddyFootprints

I understand you and have a similar philosophy and personality. I operate a small business and am slowly building my reputation. I only use fb and am growing my internet following.

I tend to keep my posts informative and educational as much as promotional.

I need some new local clientele and will be looking into print media this year. I'm more intimidated by that!

• Like 1

You first need to decide if your ideal customer you are looking for will become a customer because of social media.

If I were going to look for a trainer the last place I would look is twitter or FB, the first place I would look is my network of friends and business associates, even thru my linkedin network and then I would hit their FB page to look at checking them out but after I was given a referral..

Having a FB and twitter is good but do your homework on your customer base to decide how much time/money you need to spend, SEO is very expensive for someone to never get a customer thru clicks, if you can get customers thru clicks then SEO is the best money spent.

My company hired an SEO expert to look into how we should apply social media to gain customers and it was decided to spend our money elsewhere, not all companies are the same however...

Have you tried creating a referral program and hit up your current customer base giving them a cut to see if they can bring you a few customers ?

• Like 1

I would also suggest referral bonuses or $ off for members who refer others. Maybe, get x amount of people to signup and get $X off your next session or 1 session free. Or have a flat amount you will give per a signup like $10 or something (or a percentage, not sure of your fee structure and how much you charge). Since you have a high retention rate, maybe something like free 30 min consultation for the first 20 people who sign up? You can ask for their names, phone numbers, email, a brief summary about their fitness goals, etc. After the consultation, follow up with an email.

just saw this :laugh:... great idea...

• Like 1

Years ago we created an email campaign and sent out through our sales database (we have an email campaign sent out every couple of weeks) that gave the client a free IPAD for any new job over XXX number of dollars and we happened to get a national account with that campaign and had the account for years until they no longer needed our services, I think in 5 years they gave us about 350-400k... so it was a huge win...

Today that wouldn't work.. everybody has an IPAD but back then very few people had them...

MuddyFootprints

I don't recommend cutting your prices or giving freebies.

This is probably the biggest business mistake I've made.

I don't recommend cutting your prices or giving freebies.

This is probably the biggest business mistake I've made.

Referral campaigns are a proven way to gain business and you are right about freebies, if you give the CURRENT client a fee for them to bring in a customer than it is a win win not a freebie.. a finders fee..

• Like 1
MuddyFootprints

I understand what you are saying and agree with that perspective.

Like and share freebies seem to be a staple of social media marketing. I haven't experimented with it, but I'm watching it.

Funny you post this. I do marketing and social media IRL. I get people who tell me all the time they aren't tech savvy or into social media. You might benefit from hiring a contractor or someone part time who you know is good with online marketing. I've done several gigs for business owners needing a marketing person. I would go with an independent contractor rather than an employee unless you're very familiar with employment laws. There is liability and I went through hell with a woman who was unfamiliar with employment laws.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't use the internet for business, but you might want to set up a separate business page from your personal page, if you haven't already done so. Then people can "like" your page, and you don't have to add them to your personal one as a friend - they can rate your business, share your page, and it should pop up under "other pages like this" if anyone likes something similar to your business, or maybe even in your area.

Twitter keeps trying to advise me on building my non-existent business. :laugh: An associated site I signed up for, although I can't recall why. I'll try to remember to mention it, when they send me another email.

• Like 1

Join lots of groups on LinkedIn that you feel you can contribute to and post regularly in them - related to the topic of course, it doesn't need to be just fitness. What it does is it allows you to connect with your fellow group members on LinkedIn, you can tell this from their profile because people can set it according to whether they want group members connect or not.

Publish well thought-out, high quality articles on fitness. Try for angles that separate you from the rest.

Don't work for free. Do offer 1 free consultation and a plan (not super detailed) but don't offer training for free.

• Like 2