Do I let go of my longtime work/income crutch, despite the big risks?

Standard-Fare

I'm a writer who survives off steady contracts with two workplaces along with freelance gigs on the side.

With the steady contracts, Job #1 is one I've done for about a year, 20 hrs/wk. I enjoy it and the pay is good. (And no, there is no option to go full-time.) Job #2, also 20 hours/wk, is an old crutch. I've been there for 12 years, I'm beyond bored with the work, and I resent the company (the pay is bad, and they've had problems paying me on time recently). Former colleagues are baffled I'm still there -- one even recently told me I'm stunting my personal growth by clinging to this, and I agree.

With this undesirable Job #2, a change recently occurred where I'm required to pick up considerably more duties for zero raise in pay. My option is either to accept that or leave.

So it seems like the right time to jump ship, but a couple of big issues:

- They pay my health and dental insurance, so I'd have to go on my own without them.

- There's no way around the reality that it's still a considerable source of my income, and I don't have a replacement. I can/would take on more freelance work, but it'd be nothing like the safety cushion this job currently offers.

My idea right now is to give Job #2 an ample two-month notice, work my best to find a new solution in that time, but leave regardless. I fully expect to be struggling for a while afterwards, but I have enough savings to keep myself financially afloat for a few months.

Is this preposterous or irresponsible? I feel SO ready to take this leap and explore new things, but on a coldly realistic level I fear what will become of me if I don’t find an adequate replacement for this income within a few months.

First of all, the biggest risk in life is not taking risk itself.

Second thing is if u want to move, u should be be pretty clear about what u want and your career path. Sometimes it is not about taking right decisions, just take a decision and make it happen.

I would suggest if your goal is clear what u want to do after leaving the crutch, then leave it. If you are not sure, there is a chance that you would have second thoughts about your actions. You are losing the opportunity cost here by having fear. Since u have savings, i guess moderate risk is a go.

If possible read a book called "Who moved my cheese" by Spencer Johnson. It is about managing change.

• Author
Standard-Fare

I'm only clear in the sense that I want to:

1) Maintain Job #1 (20 hours/week)

2) Supplement that with either another PT job, or find a way to make freelancing cover those gaps.

Just don't know how realistic I'm being. My savings would buy me about three months past the two-month window of giving my notice. And I would be living quite frugally.

There's no backup. I'm a grown woman - no moving into parents' basement. I'm also single now, so no partner/spouse to fall back on.

I do think I want to go for this. It's probably worth the struggle now to find something more fulfilling in the long term.

Hello. I'm going to disagree with the other response. This is only a guess but I suspect you may be a woman. If that is true and you are not domestically partnered or married the whole thing comes down to one question that might resonate with you:

How many writing jobs have insurance?

If you are not in the UK or some place like it, for me that answer is easy.its a recession. If you take this "risk" and you can't get a job right away, and anything happens, is it worth potential bankruptcy?

I live in the UK and I also have private medical and dental. I've just had an accident within the last 10 days and even with those 2 resources, I had to get additional help in my house because I can't bathe and dress myself right now and need dressings changed which I can't do myself. It's lucky for me that I am on a substantial salary. I won't be able to work for awhile in any case.

There is no reason for you to give up 2 until you have some insurance. Your friends and their opinions matter naught unless they'd like to pay any unexpected medical bills you incur.

Write in iambic pentameter or something mad to challenge yourself until you find something you enjoy more.

Good luck

NL

• Author
Standard-Fare

To the above poster: You're right that insurance is a big concern.

I'm in the US, and I'm not for a minute considering going without insurance. (Well, that's not even legal.) I would just have to pay for it on my own. And no, I haven't done the research on that yet, but I've seen other friends do it and I don't believe it would be much more than what's been taken out of my paychecks of Job #2.

But I'm uneasy about it for sure, and it's been a huge reason I've been clinging to this security blanket for so long.

To the suggestion about "writing iambic pentameter," let me be clear here that I'm not trying to be some vagabond poet scribbling into a notebook. I've been a professional writer for over a decade. It may involve some creativity, but it's very much a job. Most of the topics I write about are pretty dry and technical. They're driven by clients and my workplaces, not my "passions."

To the above poster: You're right that insurance is a big concern.

I'm in the US, and I'm not for a minute considering going without insurance. (Well, that's not even legal.) I would just have to pay for it on my own. And no, I haven't done the research on that yet, but I've seen other friends do it and I don't believe it would be much more than what's been taken out of my paychecks of Job #2.

But I'm uneasy about it for sure, and it's been a huge reason I've been clinging to this security blanket for so long.

To the suggestion about "writing iambic pentameter," let me be clear here that I'm not trying to be some vagabond poet scribbling into a notebook. I've been a professional writer for over a decade. It may involve some creativity, but it's very much a job. Most of the topics I write about are pretty dry and technical. They're driven by clients and my workplaces, not my "passions."

I'm English and that was a tongue in cheek nod to Shakespeare as well as the fact that someone who could hold down a writing role for more than a decade could turn their hand to any type of challenge with ease.

Not sure where vagabond poet came into it.

Don't forget about long term disibility insurance as well.

• Author
Standard-Fare
I'm English and that was a tongue in cheek nod to Shakespeare as well as the fact that someone who could hold down a writing role for more than a decade could turn their hand to any type of challenge with ease.

Not sure where vagabond poet came into it.

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to get defensive, just wanted to be clear that I'm not trying to chase after some pie-in-the-sky dream of being an "artist," which I'm sure would make this plan seem all the more foolish and unrealistic. I plan to continue doing the same type of professional writing for clients, etc., that I've always done.

OP, I'm in the same line of work. It's feast or famine, as you well know.

I'd say do it. Yes, the job is a safety net, but I've always been of the mind that job security is an illusion. That company could theoretically close any day.

I've gone through periods of unemployment and underemployment, sometimes I've had health insurance, and sometimes I haven't. Some months have been incredibly tight and I've had to borrow money from family and/or friends. Not ideal, but it doesn't last forever, either. If anything, I'm thankful in a way that this industry has taught me how to live so frugally. I've been able to eek out a living on $11,000/$12,000 a year at times (without needing to borrow), so I know if I had to I could do it again.

I'd say go for it. If you've already found two part-time contracts, you can find more. You've got over a decade of experience, you'll be fine. Take the leap.

• Like 2
Hello. I'm going to disagree with the other response. This is only a guess but I suspect you may be a woman. If that is true and you are not domestically partnered or married the whole thing comes down to one question that might resonate with you:

NL

First of all I am completely ignorant of career paths and opportunities in her profession.

Secondly I gave a very generalized view based on fact that she is very experienced (12 years) ; pay is insignificant ; extra work load coming her way without pay hike ; she is already freelancing and with her extra time she could find more freelancing jobs to suit her skills ; since she is in there for last 12 years and not liking it, i tend to believe that she must have tried to find other opportunities in past few years and since that is not happening, she asked the question (my speculation OP could confirm or deny).

I always believed that sometimes moderate risks are important for long term benefits.

Yes whatever you mentioned about insurance is also critical.

@ OP : Do u have scope to avail the insurance benefits under the other job contract ???

• Author
Standard-Fare

@NewLeaf, yes you're correct that I've tried to find other work in the past. It's a competitive field and jobs are hard to score (another big concern here). I originally worked full-time at Job #2 and over time was able to reduce it to PT and do other things on the side. Eventually I added in the more enjoyable Job #1 and that's been a good combo (at least financially, security-wise).

@LosAngelena, I appreciate the encouragement to just go for it. But...

- No way in HELL I could survive on $11-$13K a year!?! I've even had times when I've just couch-crashed at places for months at a clip (no rent), but even then that salary wouldn't have floated me.

- I truly have no one to borrow money from. I would never be comfortable asking friends, and my family is the type who would disapprove of this move to begin with (I might not even tell them), so I certainly can't come begging to them for help if it doesn't work out. I need to be able to handle this on my own.

I'm only clear in the sense that I want to:

1) Maintain Job #1 (20 hours/week)

2) Supplement that with either another PT job, or find a way to make freelancing cover those gaps.

Just don't know how realistic I'm being. My savings would buy me about three months past the two-month window of giving my notice. And I would be living quite frugally.

There's no backup. I'm a grown woman - no moving into parents' basement. I'm also single now, so no partner/spouse to fall back on.

I do think I want to go for this. It's probably worth the struggle now to find something more fulfilling in the long term.

I'd suggest looking for another part-time job ASAP to replace #2, and not giving a full two-month notice. That, and/or use your off-hours to develop more freelance work to cover what you will be missing from job #2.

I don't see any reason to risk running out of money just to give a two-month notice to a company, regardless of how well they have treated you. Find something new and then give a standard two-week notice when you find a replacement. Or negotiate terms with the new job and give a longer notice to the old job, if/when you sign a contract with the new job, if that is something you feel passionate about doing.

Edited to add,

My idea right now is to give Job #2 an ample two-month notice, work my best to find a new solution in that time, but leave regardless. I fully expect to be struggling for a while afterwards, but I have enough savings to keep myself financially afloat for a few months.

I don't think this is irresponsible, but what I do disagree with is letting your employer know so early. You need to cover your ass in case something happens in that two months and you want to keep the job. Give yourself the two-month deadline, but keep it to yourself.

Edited by rester
  • Like 1
  • Author
Standard-Fare
I'd suggest looking for another part-time job ASAP to replace #2, and not giving a full two-month notice. That, and/or use your off-hours to develop more freelance work to cover what you will be missing from job #2.

I don't see any reason to risk running out of money just to give a two-month notice to a company, regardless of how well they have treated you. Find something new and then give a standard two-week notice when you find a replacement. Or negotiate terms with the new job and give a longer notice to the old job, if/when you sign a contract with the new job, if that is something you feel passionate about doing.

Oh, I should explain my reasoning for giving a two-month notice soon. It has to do with the company's plans for new hiring.

As I mentioned, a change at the company is motivating my decision. Specifically, another employee who shares my job duties is leaving, and I'll have to pick up her slack. It's already been discussed as a "no pay raise" scenario for me, with vague and unsatisfying lines like "We'll figure out how to make that work." I already know exactly how it will go down.

In response to this and few other changes, the company has to do some hiring soon. That's why I have to speak up now. I can't have it to be assumed that I will be there for the long-term filling this position. My absence might prompt them to create a new FT position, or change a job description, for example.

With a place I've worked at so long, I don't feel right about keeping silent while these cards fall into place, then creating a mess whenever I find my exit strategy. Maybe I don't need to tell them "two months" exactly, but I need to give them a timeframe.

Oh, I should explain my reasoning for giving a two-month notice soon. It has to do with the company's plans for new hiring.

As I mentioned, a change at the company is motivating my decision. Specifically, another employee who shares my job duties is leaving, and I'll have to pick up her slack. It's already been discussed as a "no pay raise" scenario for me, with vague and unsatisfying lines like "We'll figure out how to make that work." I already know exactly how it will go down.

In response to this and few other changes, the company has to do some hiring soon. That's why I have to speak up now. I can't have it to be assumed that I will be there for the long-term filling this position. My absence might prompt them to create a new FT position, or change a job description, for example.

With a place I've worked at so long, I don't feel right about keeping silent while these cards fall into place, then creating a mess whenever I find my exit strategy. Maybe I don't need to tell them "two months" exactly, but I need to give them a timeframe.

That's your prerogative, but I don't agree with it. If they are giving you a "no pay raise", they clearly don't care as much about you as you do about them. Standard notice (at least in the US, not sure where you are located or what is customary in your country), is two weeks. Anything more than that the company can consider a bonus. It's not your problem to solve. I understand the loyalty to coworkers and all, but take care of your needs first, and then and only then give something back to the company.

That might sound harsh, but I wouldn't expect more than a couple weeks notice from any of my employees, either. I don't want to lose any, but if they came in and gave me the two weeks notice today, even after a restructure, I wouldn't hold it against them.

Its always a good idea to line up something else first before you go.

Healthcare is SO expensive, I hate to say IMO its worth the aggravation.

Id really start using that 12 years of experience to open doors for you, it looks really good on a resume to have that duration.

Sounds like you have become complacent and not really tried really hard to search hard for something that makes you happier.

Do that FIRST and once its all in place THEN leave.

If you made it 12 years a little longer and bide your time and really put a strong effort into finding a new solid gig.

being a little disgruntled is way better than paying for healthcare out of your own pocket.

• Author
Standard-Fare
That's your prerogative, but I don't agree with it. If they are giving you a "no pay raise", they clearly don't care as much about you as you do about them. Standard notice (at least in the US, not sure where you are located or what is customary in your country), is two weeks. Anything more than that the company can consider a bonus. It's not your problem to solve. I understand the loyalty to coworkers and all, but take care of your needs first, and then and only then give something back to the company.

There are some personal relationships (obligations, tensions) involved I won't go into here. Though I want out, I do feel some loyalty after 12 years. The pay stuff is the fault of the owner, not the people I've worked with who will be affected. My direct boss actually tried hard to arrange a raise for me but failed.

And (again not going into boring details) - my leaving would have a major impact on the hiring decisions. The process for that is already in the gears, and I need to disrupt it. If I'm leaving, they'll have to hire for a completely different type of position than they would if I stayed.

I'm sure none of what I'm saying changes your opinion.

If you made it 12 years a little longer and bide your time and really put a strong effort into finding a new solid gig.

being a little disgruntled is way better than paying for healthcare out of your own pocket.

Yeah, real food for thought. The problem is I've been using that excuse with myself for the past three years at least. And in some ways it's just me trying to justify a lack of personal progress. I definitely need to do my research, though.

My savings would buy me about three months past the two-month window of giving my notice.

Potential scenario: You submit two months' notice. They let you go that week.

Edited by Beach Guy

If you had access to universal healthcare my advice would be let go, in a heartbeat.

But as you are in the US, you don't. In that situation I don't think there is any choice but to hang on to keep your insurance, unless there is some way you can get your other job to pay it (I don't know how the US insurance law works in that regard).