Has Your Responsibilities Ever Drastically Changed?

nomadic_butterfly

*Pardon the title's grammatical errors. I am tireeddd and I can't update it

I've been at a company for less than a year and my boss spoke of my job responsibilities changing a lot and she highlighted these changes to me and wants my thoughts.

I found out after I was hired that my role was junior level in the context of the company despite the fact that same exact title was more senior at my previous companies. I have over 4 yrs experience in my field when I joined, yet most people there with my title are fresh out of college.

I overlooked this despite me being overqualified and underpaid in context (found out I low-balled myself and my boss probably felt bad for me and offered me above my high range, but it's still way below the high range of my title's band level at the company). It still was a 40% increase on what I made at my last company (and they were underpaying me too). The new responsibilities make sense if someone is just starting out and trying to get a more general feel of things, but I don't want/need to be doing a bunch of entry level admin type of work. That is not what I signed up for. They hired me for my unique skill set/experience and it seems I am doing less and less of what initially attracted me to the role and made me apply in the first place. I am not interested in menial responsibilities and my team has completely new management that don't seem super flexible. My boss is also actively looking for a new role, so I am a little concerned. Other team members have also had their roles radically change.

Anyone ever been through this? How should I approach this?

Edited by nomadic_butterfly

Actually it all depends on you.

If ur career goal is to build expertise in ur field, then changing responsibilities would misalign the job with ur career objectives. Then there is no point being in the position if the money factor is not a problem.

Secondly I believe one's career should be like a "T" . Horizontal Bar signifies diverse knowledge and the vertical bar signifies depth or expertise in your field. You could use the opportunity to diversify your profile.

Don't count on money. Money reduces dissatisfaction but it never gives satisfaction.

Job description is pretty much concrete. If any company changes them significantly, I doubt the company's HR policy transparency. Check your offer letter or contract for any particulars. Let the HR team know about the issue. I think it is their responsibility to solve the issue.

Personal experience - I manage a 50+ workforce in a 24X7 operation facility. I am in steel making sector. Due to demand and economic conditions, we changed the job responsibilities for all in my subordinate cadres. But it was more on a preference and choice basis and career options (buttom up approach) than a forced top down one. I sat one to one with everyone, held lot of meetings with my subordinates before freezing new roles. I have one HR for my dept. She reports to her HR boss (concrete reporting - administrative) and also dotted subordination under me (Functional aspect.) It was up to me to give new framework to HR dept. Few of my subordinates sought to continue with old role and some sought changes as proposed by senior management. Again for my company, employee welfare is a priority.

I guess a lot depends on company's aspirations and goals. If u don't see urself alligned to it or there is no response to your requests, time for change.

• Like 2

First, I highly recommend knowing what you are worth at all times. Low balling is ultimately our fault. Salary.com is a good site to see what the going rate in your area, as well as nationally is.

Second, have you talked to your boss about wanting more challenges? Are you successfully completing your current work load? To answer your question, yes my responibilities have changed a lot over the years as new challenges impact my department, myself and the company. I look for ways to show I am handling my workload, seeing opportunities and presenting solutions for them and then executing. I don't wait to have things handed to me but instead seek out what I/my department can do.

Be your own best advocate and push for more responsibilities. If you can't make any headway after a good bit of time, look elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Author
nomadic_butterfly
First, I highly recommend knowing what you are worth at all times. Low balling is ultimately our fault. Salary.com is a good site to see what the going rate in your area, as well as nationally is.

Second, have you talked to your boss about wanting more challenges? Are you successfully completing your current work load? To answer your question, yes my responibilities have changed a lot over the years as new challenges impact my department, myself and the company. I look for ways to show I am handling my workload, seeing opportunities and presenting solutions for them and then executing. I don't wait to have things handed to me but instead seek out what I/my department can do.

Be your own best advocate and push for more responsibilities. If you can't make any headway after a good bit of time, look elsewhere.

You are absolutely correct! I could just kick myself for undervaluing myself but it is a mistake I do not plan on making again. I was just scared at this job to ask for too much over what I was previously making. This is the first company I've worked at with public salary bands. It didn't click until I started plus I went to a salary site that had dated numbers. For some reason I checked every site but Glassdoor.

I've been pretty vocal about wanting to do more things relevant to the initial job description and my experience. I guess I don't want to come off as a job hopper, but some fields are a bit more forgiving with that. My longest job was tenure was almost 2 1/2yrs (my last one). However, now that I am in my mid to late 20s, it's the best time to take risks before I have a family and husband to consider while decision-making. I will see how it plays out and explore my options if I feel that is in my best interests. Thanks!

One thing that I couldn't make it clear from your post whether u are upset about pay or job role or position assigned or all.

Are you aware of the promotion and pay band elevation policies of your company ??? Every position has got some attached qualification and experience demands. If u r overqualified for current position then u are eligible for for those positions. Pls make yourself aware of those that u can tap any opportunity that might come along.

You never mentioned your field, it is important that you must be aware of career chart in your field within the company and outside and pay bands associated with each position for a fair job offer.

I am almost ur age (26) with Job experience of 4 and 1/2 years. I joined in profile of research and technology implementation. I liked my role. But after 3 years, I got promoted to production management which was against my will and I didn't want to go for it. But senior management felt I would do good in that. I thought about it and gave it a try. Now here I am enjoying my new roles and responsibilities. Secured my next promotion within one year. So you never know sometimes changes can be good. The first promotion, I didn't get a significant pay hike and minor enhancements in perks and benefits. Only a hierarchical position and responsibility change. But next promotion I secured a massive 250% increment because I had the negotiation power.

If u have negotiation power use it to maximum extent.

Lastly I don't rely on glassdoor. Reasons: Positions and responsibilities are not same for each company.Also no consideration for experience factor. Secondly it is statistically wrong. :D All data for my company are far away from truth at GD.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author
nomadic_butterfly
One thing that I couldn't make it clear from your post whether u are upset about pay or job role or position assigned or all.

Are you aware of the promotion and pay band elevation policies of your company ??? Every position has got some attached qualification and experience demands. If u r overqualified for current position then u are eligible for for those positions. Pls make yourself aware of those that u can tap any opportunity that might come along.

You never mentioned your field, it is important that you must be aware of career chart in your field within the company and outside and pay bands associated with each position for a fair job offer.

I am almost ur age (26) with Job experience of 4 and 1/2 years. I joined in profile of research and technology implementation. I liked my role. But after 3 years, I got promoted to production management which was against my will and I didn't want to go for it. But senior management felt I would do good in that. I thought about it and gave it a try. Now here I am enjoying my new roles and responsibilities. Secured my next promotion within one year. So you never know sometimes changes can be good. The first promotion, I didn't get a significant pay hike and minor enhancements in perks and benefits. Only a hierarchical position and responsibility change. But next promotion I secured a massive 250% increment because I had the negotiation power.

If u have negotiation power use it to maximum extent.

Lastly I don't rely on glassdoor. Reasons: Positions and responsibilities are not same for each company.Also no consideration for experience factor. Secondly it is statistically wrong. :D All data for my company are far away from truth at GD.

Sorry for the delayed response. I work in marketing, for a Fortune 500 finance company. You're right; told my boss I am at least willing to give it a try and the corporate culture of this company in particular dictates lots and lots of change.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a better fit in the near future but I am not opposed to working for Google, Facebook, Microsoft, etc. if this company isn't speaking my language when it's time to move up. A lot of people who leave get hired by the aforementioned companies. For now I will play it by ear and work hard at the new tasks at hand. If I decide to stay for my next role, I definitely will be well equipped to negotiate better.

You're right about GD; I am paid 5k above what is shown as the "average" is for my title/band at my company.