OK my boyfriend is looking at two jobs currently. We currently work at a smaller family-owned department store. He is an associate buyer, and currently earns $35K, plus a .5% bonus. He was recently offered a job at a larger mens specialty shop retail store with fast expansion and growth, but that caters to a higher income client. They offered him a position as a planner who would earn $45K, plus a 12% bonus. When he took this information to his current employer, they offered him a raise of $5K ($40K Total) and a .5% Bonus Raise (1% total). HOWEVER, he prefers to be a buyer. The current job also said they are 99.9% sure he will be a full buyer in this calendar year, starting salary for a buyer is $65K plus bonus. With this new job, he'd be forced to move 2 hours away, so consider the hassle of moving. At the new job, they do offer tuition reimbursement, but he'd only be interested in that IF he took the job (to become something other than a planner).

So I'm trying to get him some unbiased viewpoints.

i would take door # $65,000.00!

but, it depends on rent and cost of living in the new place too. and what and who you will leave. will you be able to get a job?

i would look at all the aspects of the move. is the new place a good place to live?

is the company one that seems to be doing well? that will not have a lot of forced lay off forseably?

• Author

Well the thing is...the $65K is not definite. It's HIGHLY likely...but cannot be guaranteed just b/c you have to wait for a position to open up and all.

Cost of living/rent is comparable. Here he'd be leaving behind me (we currently live together, but he'd be paying off the lease) and his dad about 45 minutes away, his mom 3 hours away and his bro 2 hours away. Would I be able to get a job...that's not certain...but he's not looking at that in this situation, it's more about what's out there for him.

If he'd move there it's about 2 1/2 hours away, dad would be 2 hours, mom would be 5, bro would be about 45 min away and I'd be 2 1/2 hours away. Eventually we'd like to get together and live together...but...you can never say what I could find.

He doesn't know a lot about the area, but he needs to make a decision by Monday...and then he'd start on Monday the 21st.

The new company is a lot bigger...it is opening 75 stores this year...it's stock rose something like 600% over the past few years.

The company we work for is smaller...we have 40 stores total....opening 4 this year (which is big) and we are private, so no stock.

No foreseeable layoffs in either direction.

So it's a tough call...I'm not really sure what advice to offer him. I want him to stay of course, but I also know this might be a good opportunity. To get a buyer position here would be huge and just what he wanted.

so tough!

i would tell him what ever he decides that you will support him.

let him make his decision.