Sick time for pet(s)

Just curious ... I am sure some people have called off work for a sick pet, but have you ever TOLD your employer that you were taking sick time for a pet? if this even allowed in your job? i know that many singles - myself included - have pets instead of kids. i see women w/kids call off work like crazy for their kids because that is family, but don't pets qualify as 'family' for singles? just curious. when i need to take care of my pet for the day i call in as though i am sick.. just wondering what other do/have done/think?

I have never had to take a full day off for a pet.

Took a half day to put my beloved old cat down, boss knew the reason.

And I have had to leave work early for a medical emergency or two. Again, told the boss why, they understood.

But after 12 years with the same company, I can only think of those 2 or 3 occasions. While those with young kids seem to be pulled away from work at a much higher rate.

• Like 1

"Sick days" is really a generic term in my business, just means whatever. You get x number of them whatever it's for, and they don't really care what the reason is.

• Like 1

My mom's work colleague once called in that she was sick and couldn't come to work. The truth however was that her dog had died; she was absolutely devastated and needed the weekend off to get a grasp on her emotions.

• Like 1

I have worked from home for a couple of days looking after a sick pet - my boss knew the reason.

Where I work now people don't get paid if they take sick time for a child and they wouldn't be paid for a pet either.

My company works on the premise of keeping sick days to a minimum as they add up to your overall performance.

EG. If redundancies come up then it's based less upon last in first out but who is more reliable and of more value.

It's great due to the fact it's all fair.

Sick days are not entitled leave.

• Like 1

I took off a day years ago when I had to put one of my dogs to sleep (not just having her put to sleep, but taking her home to bury her), but personal time at my employer can be used for anything, including pets. My boss knew, she has pets herself and considers them family members - unfortunately not all employers see it that way.

I think it's fine to check in with a supervisor, but as long as the system is not being abused I don't think you're obligated to provide all of the details if you don't feel your boss would be sympathetic to the issue.

Edited by O'Malley

Negotiate it at interview. I tell them I have no kids so I won't be taking off constantly when they get sick or the babysitter does or when they get in trouble at school, but my family is my two dogs and I want to take good care of them and may need some time here and there if they get sick or when they're old. So far I have not met any resistance about it. But ask beforehand.

have you ever TOLD your employer that you were taking sick time for a pet? if this even allowed in your job?

Every company I have worked for would be understanding of this. Absolutely.

I have told supervisors I am taking the day off for snowboarding on powder days, although I only use 1-2 sick days each year, so there's an understood leeway.

That said, I think it would vastly depend on the supervisor/company. YMMV

I think it's very important to preface your negotiation with a way in which you will never be a burden to them unlike some other person who has kids or plays golf every Friday or that sort of thing. I mean, find a positive way to introduce that you will be mega-reliable and then the footnote at the end is except if a pet gets sick.

My company did away with "sick days," and scheduled Paid Time Off / Vacations.

Everything from being sick, personal time off, maternal/paternal leave, miscellaneous medical leave, bereavement or vacation falls into a category called: Unlimited Paid Time Off. The only exception would be for those who file for state sponsored disability for an indefinite time away.

Pet illness would fall under personal time off at our company.

We did away with silos or "single points of failure," as we call them so that there is no lapse in coverage or services should any employee need extended time away at a moment's notice.

• Like 1
"Sick days" is really a generic term in my business, just means whatever. You get x number of them whatever it's for, and they don't really care what the reason is.

Maybe it depends on the company you work for but I disagree. We get 4 personal days a year which we can use for whatever reason. Our paid sick days are to be used for illnesses only and I know of a few people at my workplace who have been fired or otherwise disciplined for misusing their sick days. Also when it comes to promotions, raises and bonuses, people who routinely use all of their sick days for minor illnesses without any confirmation from a doctor, are usually passed over. They make it clear that sick days are for illness, not just free days off.

• Like 1

OP I have taken time off to take a pet to the vet. I took the day off when I had to get my big old kitty put to sleep. I just told my employer the truth so while they were understanding I did not get paid.

Eternal Sunshine

I took a day off when my cat needed an emergency surgery. I didn't need to physically be there but I kept tearing up at my desk so I went home. I told my boss and he basically laughed at this :/

We have PTO for something just like this. The company has no interest in big brothering their employees. If you want to take the day off to stand in the corner staring at the wall then you are welcome to do so. I have taken time off, worked from home, when I had to put my one horse down. I just wasn't in the frame of mind to be in the office.

• Like 2