Keeping in touch with former colleagues. Tips?

Do any of you keep in contact with former colleagues? If you do, how do you keep in contact with them without being annoying?

I've never been one to keep in contact with old classmates or co-workers, but I really liked my last manager. The other day, I decided to send him a quick email telling him about an accomplishment that he knew I was working toward. We exchanged a few emails, but then he just stopped. While I'm figuring he just got busy, I am wondering how to keep in touch beyond this exchange without being annoying. Anyone have any tips?

Edited by Belle23

I always keep in touch with my former colleagues - even the ones from my first job out of college. That's how I build and maintain my network.

How? Send them emails/texts throughout the year to keep them posted on my progress since I don't have FB/Instagram etc. Schedule lunch or HH whenever you're in their area. Ask about their job/life etc. It does take a lot of work and effort but it can be done.

Do you have mutual interests? Do you know them well before you left the company? Send your former colleagues "holiday greetings" emails/cards and see if they would respond.

• Author

We do have some mutual interests, so I don't think striking up conversation will be hard. I guess reaching out and staying in touch is more of an insecurity of mine and then makes me apprehensive to reach out.

After that initial reaching out, I tend to go down the path of negative thinking. Although I am genuine about staying in touch, I feel some people view networking as if the person reaching out (me) is just chasing a job. I also tend to be afraid the person that I'm reaching out to is not as interesting in staying in touch. I get more stressed out over it than dating! Lol

Well, that's all the more reason to stay in touch with your former colleagues. You don't want to wait until you need a job or need their help to reach out to them. You do have something to offer. You have your expertise and your own contacts. Your former colleagues may be looking for a job themselves or looking to hire someone for an opening position. You may be able to help them with what they need. Don't sell yourself short.

• Like 1