Do I tip my Butler 4 Xmas

No doubt that I will tip the Butler and the Maid as well. But how much? Maybe a paid day off would be better?

Sure, I think you should give your "maid" (i.e. mom) and "butler" (i.e. younger brother) gifts. After all, your mother let's you live in the basement for free!

• Like 3

If his family is distant, an airline ticket to visit them and a few days off would be a generous gesture of appreciation, as a butler's job takes many skills and can be a 24/7 calling, of course depending on client. If the butler came with the property and it's not yours, that appreciation is probably better left to the property owner. A 'just between us' day off and a small gift card or cash might be appropriate in that case.

Tipping one's manservant is terribly non-U. It's very vulgar and frankly, any decent butler would be utterly affronted by being tipped by his employer.

It's bad enough when guests try to quietly slip him a fiver to leave the kitchen door unlocked, for a midnight foray in the fridge.

Besides, the Housekeeper has control of the kitchen and keys.

A butler may be given a token of gratitude, but never, ever anything quite as crass as money.

They don't call it 'filthy lucre; for nothing.

• Like 2
  • Author

Yes Uncle should cover this but they're "mine" for 5 months. I think I'll do what carhill said.

• Author
Tipping one's manservant is terribly non-U. It's very vulgar and frankly, any decent butler would be utterly affronted by being tipped by his employer.

It's bad enough when guests try to quietly slip him a fiver to leave the kitchen door unlocked, for a midnight foray in the fridge.

Besides, the Housekeeper has control of the kitchen and keys.

A butler may be given a token of gratitude, but never, ever anything quite as crass as money.

They don't call it 'filthy lucre; for nothing.

No money???? How about the day off with pay?

Ridiculous. In any case, that's already in his Contract of Employment, because his day off may have to be postponed to accommodate your requirements.

No. If he is, for example, a smoker, a solid silver cigarette case, or engraved silver lighter would be appropriate.

A gift token for use in Harrods or Fortnum & Mason's (You are naturally a trusted and valued existing customer of both) would be equally well-received.

Alternatively, a smart item of clothing such as a Hacking Jacket or waistcoat would be suitable.

Just curious... what duties does the butler fulfill?

I grew up with my share of wealthy friends (ah, lucky enough that one put me up in their west wing through much of high school, I miss having a shoe closet and a European down bed...)

I digress, any way, they had house keepers, chefs, au pairs, landscapers, but never once have I known any to have a "Butler".

The chef kept the kitchen stocked and everyone fed.

The house keeper(s) kept the place clean, laundry done, beds made, bathrooms stocked etc.

The Au pair kept track of the kids, and would fill in on driving duties if needed.

And the landscapers kept the grounds up, pool cleaned etc etc.

So what does a butler do? Bring you a night cap? ;)

Incidentally, anyone who really had a butler would never, ever even dream of writing '4 Xmas'.... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
Just curious... what duties does the butler fulfill?

I digress, any way, they had house keepers, chefs, au pairs, landscapers, but never once have I known any to have a "Butler". .....

So what does a butler do? Bring you a night cap? ;)

Good grief woman....!

A Butler typically:

Oversees the household staff usually of one residence.

Understands concepts like being anticipatory, friendly not familiar, privacy and confidentiality, invisible and available.

Answers residence phone, receives guests at the door and supervises the reception of visitors.

Assists with staff training and organizes the duties and schedule of domestic staff.

May assist or be charged with keeping the household budgets and inventory supplies.

May schedule and oversee vendors of contracted services.

May assist with household and family security measures.

Oversees family packing and travel preparations.

Understands social etiquette and formal service.

Assists with planning and organizing parties and events in the home.

Oversees and participates in proper table settings and entertainment prep.

Serves meals and drinks and performs wait services related thereto.

Knowledgeable about wines and spirits and oversees the wine cellar and liqueur inventory.

May also serve as personal valet to the household and/or gentleman of the house.

Performs light housekeeping duties.

Coordinates with other staff as needed as well as with other parts of the employer’s organization.

Other functions and skills may include:

-Cleaning and maintenance

-Care of clothing.

-Care of fine china, silver, crystal.

-Care and inventory of artwork and antiques.

-Maintenance of automobiles.

-Security of their employer and residence.

-Co-ordination and scheduling of service contractors.

You really didn't know....?

For shame!!

consider a gift, engraved, monogrammed or a collectors book.

My great aunt often gave her staff monogrammed hankerchiefs, scarves, or cuff links. She kept it personable without overstepping her employer , employee relationship. In this day and age with technology , perhaps there are items - cell pack or BrookeStone items.

No doubt that I will tip the Butler and the Maid as well. But how much? Maybe a paid day off would be better?

screw the day off i would much rather have the $$$

"Do I tip my Butler"? A butler isn't the same as somebody who shows you to the room in a hotel, I'm guessing he'd be highly offended if you "tipped" him.

Always assume every Butler is Anthony Hopkins in "The Remains of the Day"! Would you tip Anthony Hopkins!! Not if you appreciate your liver...

• Like 1

(Why do you think he appeared in that film? 'Remains' is another word for 'Left-overs'....)

• Like 1

I don't remember the movie now but it was with one of the Baldwins and they were lost in the mountains and the Baldwin (of course) was cheating with Hopkins wife.. Another great movie, he just amazes me with his intellect and how it shines through every role he plays.

Way off topic, but maybe that's a good thing here.

Not so 'off-topic'.

A good Butler will instinctively know how to respond to all and any question regarding popular trends, movies, tv shows and current affairs.

He will do so with tact and aplomb, remaining correctly neutral, while brilliantly distancing himself from any possible connection to bad taste.

Not so 'off-topic'.

A good Butler will instinctively know how to respond to all and any question regarding popular trends, movies, tv shows and current affairs.

He will do so with tact and aplomb, remaining correctly neutral, while brilliantly distancing himself from any possible connection to bad taste.

In which case, I'll be the Butler, but I want tipping.

How frightfully vulgar.....

:laugh:

You can't be a Butler with a name like 'Samhain'.

It would have to be something short, memorable, and easily pronounceable in moments of crisis.

Like 'Notts' or 'Philby'....