Weird interview

I had two interviews with a company this past week. The first was with the manager who would be my direct supervisor. That went well. I got called in for a second interview, this time with the owner. I don't even know if that went well or not.

Most of his questions were direct and amounted to "how long are you planning to stay here." He seemed worried that with my amount of education that I would eventually leave. He then told me he felt nervous about my "job hopping" even though I worked 4 years at my last company and 3 years at the job prior to that. Then he talked a lot about how other people who went to university like me worked for their company and they were able to advance quickly, and how his company can provide employees with applicable skills. Basically he tried to sell me on the company. He told me that he liked my resume.

I'm not used to an interviewer being so direct with me. He showed up 15 minutes late for the interview. Then the interview itself lasted about 40 minutes. He didn't ask for references but he did tell me that he would have the the overnight manager ( the guy who first interviewed me) call me. He gave me his business card and told me to call him if I think of other questions.

I am not sure of what to think. In my first interview, the guy didn't tell me if my job would be temporary or permanent. I got the feeling they wanted to try me out and see how it went, which is fine, but then he mentioned that positions might open up if they choose to let go some other employees who aren't doing that great of a job. That made me feel uneasy since my last boss (who was awful) did that sort of thing a lot.

If they offer me a job I will take it because I need something ASAP but I'm wondering what do you think? Does this sound weird?

GunslingerRoland

Were you greatly overqualified for the job?

I get his concern, if he thinks you are going to start the job and find something better in the next few months. Hiring and onboarding is a very expensive process.

• Author

Yes I am greatly overqualified. However, I am underqualified for all the jobs that I do want. So I'm screwed either way.

Oh well, I don't expect to hear back.

• Author

I know why the interview bothered me. The position was listed as being temporary, so that's why I applied. I wanted something temporary. Then when I went for the 2nd interview the guy made a huge deal about how long I planned to stay with them. Well obviously I'm not staying long if the position is temporary!!

He also kept asking me what position I had applied for. He clearly hadn't looked at my application or resume at all.

I feel like they just wasted my time. If they wanted someone to stick around long-term then why would they advertise the job as temporary. That doesn't even make any sense.

I know why the interview bothered me. The position was listed as being temporary, so that's why I applied. I wanted something temporary. Then when I went for the 2nd interview the guy made a huge deal about how long I planned to stay with them. Well obviously I'm not staying long if the position is temporary!!

He also kept asking me what position I had applied for. He clearly hadn't looked at my application or resume at all.

I feel like they just wasted my time. If they wanted someone to stick around long-term then why would they advertise the job as temporary. That doesn't even make any sense.

Just curious why did you apply for something temporary? Or this a side job?

Because if you may put yourself in a situation that may have you unemployed again.