Should I Call?

I've had two interviews for a job I really want. At the second one, the manager said he wants me on their team and will talk to his boss about making a spot for me at a certain store. A few days later, the boss called me back and basically said the same things and gave me some details about pay and the training. He said that the hiring is dependant on the drug test - he sent me a week ago to have that and said they'd be contacting me once they got the results. I wouldn't think that it would take a whole week for this, but they have to do a background check, too. I am worried because my current employer obviously thinks I'll be leaving soon since they have been interviewing people for my position already! I feel very upset that they are doing this to me. I have been a very good employee and they have said that - they just want to make sure they have time to have someone trained and ready. I have even said that I'm not completely sure if I'll take it or not. The manager has really been bugging my boss about getting someone because she doesn't want to work six days a week. I said, what if I don't get this job at all? What will happen to me? She assures me that I won't lose my job and I should just let him know, etc. I'm also worried because I know he's not happy about me leaving. He's said he's ok with it, but he's also acting weird about the whole thing. I told him that the new employer agreed to give him plenty of time to find someone. I assumed they would have courtesy to wait until I gave my notice before trying to find someone. I'm really upset and can hardly eat or anything. I want to call the new job and ask what is going on, why is it taking soo long for this hiring process to be completed. I don't want to put pressure on them, but my boss is sure putting a helluva lot of pressure on me. I don't want this job to end up not working out for some reason, then end up w/o a job. I thought about calling this afternoon to see if anything has been determined on the drug test - I do not take drugs, just a small amount of prescription nerve relaxer to help me sleep that I have take for years. They said I could call anytime with questions I might have... I just don't want to be a pest. They have been good about calling me when they said they were going to, though this time they gave no time that I could expect to hear from them. What should I do? :(

Give a call to the potential employer and just tell them you're calling to check the status of the hiring process..

It's been almost a week right? So I don't think calling to "check in" would hurt.

curiousnycgirl

I agree with the two above - give a casual call. However I hope at this point you have learned that in the future you never tell your current employer you may be leaving, until the letter is in your hand!!!!! Even once you speak with this new potential employer, do not give notice without having the offer in writing!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

curiousnycgirl

Oops forgot to add - that nerve relaxer may have shown up in the drug test - I hope you included it in your paperwork! If not offer to show a perscription if they ask.

• Author

Well, they gave me a call last night! I had planned on calling this morning if I didn't get a call before then. He said the results from the drug test looked great and wanted to know when I want to start. I said that I will start on the 14th, and went ahead and gave my two weeks notice at work. Two weeks is not long to prepare and for them to get someone, but they wanted me to start on a Monday before the 27th so I would get benefits for March. I also am ready to leave and get started. They will be contacting me from the store to let me know the details about my start time and such. I'm excited! I probably should've gotten it in writing like someone above mentioned, but he lives four hours away and was travelling out of town at the time. But, I think it will work out. They have been very good about calling me and letting me know what's going on.

[color=green]However I hope at this point you have learned that in the future younever tell your current employer you may be leaving, until the letter is in your hand!!!!! [/color]

Yeap, I have! I like to be very open and honest about everything, but it put me in a tough spot. I didn't want to be like our manager who was interviewing for a job on work time and lying about, expected me to cover for her, and threatened to leave w/o notice if the boss was not happy about it! He never had a clue and still doesn't because she didn't get the job and ended up staying. Anyway, I wanted to make sure that they knew what was happening and had time to hire someone else. I had no idea that they'd go ahead and make pre-emptive plans to hire someone, but now it worked out because I can't give them as much time as I thought I'd be able to. They say they're ok with the two weeks, so God willing, I think it will all work out. :)

• Author

[color=blue]Oops forgot to add - that nerve relaxer may have shown up in the drug test - I hope you included it in your paperwork! If not offer to show a perscription if they ask.[/color]

Ironically, the company I'm going to work for is a drugstore company, and owns the store where I get my prescription filled!

curiousnycgirl

Holy cow I am so happy for you. Major congratulations, doing the virtual happy skippy dance for you

:bunny:

Best of luck with it.