managing amidst workplace violence

the San Bernardino shootings made me wonder, for those of you in management positions... are you "scared" to manage people these days? not just in recent months, but overall? any correction/suggestion you make could set someone off and who knows what a trigger could be for someone. is there less incentive to actually manage people when anything you say/do could be taken by someone in the wrong way?

the San Bernardino shootings made me wonder, for those of you in management positions... are you "scared" to manage people these days? not just in recent months, but overall? any correction/suggestion you make could set someone off and who knows what a trigger could be for someone. is there less incentive to actually manage people when anything you say/do could be taken by someone in the wrong way?

I have concerns from the moment I arrive. There are certain occupations that expose one to increased vulnerability to violence.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't worry about it. I'm firm but kind to my team. Mostly, we have a lot of fun together. Every now and then, I make decisions that piss them off. Too bad. I don't tip-toe around people just because there are nutcases out there.

All I have to say is that if someone comes after me, they had better make the first shot count because being attacked would seriously piss me off.

Well, San Bernadino was just a terrorist action, not really workplace violence. They were cowards and picked a familiar place they knew inside and out to hit, that's all.

But I am afraid of workplace violence. More than revenge for a coworker or boss, it is more often some woman's ex coming up there to kill her and everyone in sight. So I really worry when anything is going on with a woman at work, and there have been some of those two places I've worked. One receptionist was being stalked by a guy who used to work there and I was very worried about that and they weren't taking any real precautions either. Then where I am now, the boss's assistant dates some very questionable guys and they almost always end up coming up there after she's cut them off. My boss will react once it happens, but I mean, by then it could be too late. And usually they only keep the doors locked for like a day, which isn't enough. It does scare me. For women who are trying to avoid men and have kicked them out of their lives, the one place they know where to find them is work.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Treat everyone with respect (if not kindness), even if they are being difficult. Keep an eye out for others who may show signs of issues and report it.

• Like 1