Asking to be considered for a different position/disclosing disabilty

I just had an interview where the interviewer said the position would require 25-30% travel. This was not mentioned in the job description. Unfortunately, I have a disability and it would be challenging to travel that extensively. Would it be inappropriate to tell them the truth of why I can't travel (my disability), and/or would it be inappropriate to ask if I can be considered for a position with less travel? I can't believe I'd have to pass up the opportunity to work for this company!

Not everything can be mentioned in the job description. I think it's perfectly fair to have been told this in the interview.

That said, many people can't or won't accept a position that would include 25-30% travel, so I think it's acceptable to explain your situation while also explaining how much you would like to work for the company and to see if there could be another opportunity for you.

Disability or none, you're not going to be able to fulfill the travel obligations and they need to know that. You don't necessarily need to explain every detail of why you can't travel. Many people won't travel for their job because of family responsibilities.

• Author

Thanks. I guess I just brought up that traveling wasn't stated in the job description because I just feel bad. The interview went really well and the interviewer wanted to send my resume onto the hiring manager. Had I known there was that much travel, I wouldn't have applied.

When I ask her whether there are other positions that I qualify for, should I mention why I can't travel? I don't know why I feel like I need to explain myself, but for some reason I feel like I do.

GunslingerRoland

It depends on how big of a company. In a large corporation you'd probably have to apply for jobs separately. But I'd explain the situation. If you did well they may suggest another job to you, or keep you in mind for a later position if none are available.

GunslingerRoland

Also 30% travel would be a huge deal breaker for most people. Leaving it out of the job description was IMO very intentional and misleading.

Thanks. I guess I just brought up that traveling wasn't stated in the job description because I just feel bad. The interview went really well and the interviewer wanted to send my resume onto the hiring manager. Had I known there was that much travel, I wouldn't have applied.

When I ask her whether there are other positions that I qualify for, should I mention why I can't travel? I don't know why I feel like I need to explain myself, but for some reason I feel like I do.

I would think of this similar to a salary negotiation. You don't have to state why 30% travel would be unacceptable any more than you would have to state why a minimum wage salary would be unacceptable. It is what it is. They can take it or leave it the same as you can.

The way I see it there are five options:

1. they can hire you and accept that you won't be able to do the traveling

2. you can accept the job knowing that you will have to travel (this is obviously out of the question)

3. you can come to a mutually acceptable agreement/compromise (perhaps you would be able to travel 15% of the time, but no more?)

4. they offer you another opportunity that is acceptable to you

5. you don't get the job

I do suggest that if you get an offer that you make sure you have the terms of your employment in writing so that they don't hire you and then expect you to do more traveling than you are able to.

Also 30% travel would be a huge deal breaker for most people.

Very true, regardless of any disabilities. Many people just don't want to travel or have other obligations that they cannot be away from.

Leaving it out of the job description was IMO very intentional and misleading.

This I don't necessarily agree with, although if it was stated in the description it would save everyone (both the company, and applicants) a lot of time and energy. By not including it in the description, however, there is a greater chance for the OP that the travel terms are negotiable.

when I was seeking employment I made sure it was 5% public speaking and 0% travel. If I told during the interview there is traveling involved i would probably lose interest.

You can choose to not want to travel because of a multitude of reasons including preference. I would just discuss that you weren't aware of the travel and cannot travel. You could ask for details to see if you could compromise or just take a hard line with it.

I think if someone finds something out about the position that wasn't posted in the ad then the only thing to do is move on. Just like when I found out at the interview the shift was 3pm to 11pm but stated 9am to 5pm in the ad.

• Author

Thanks for all the replies/input everyone. I have a second interview later this week. I'm going to inquire more about the traveling. If it can't be negotiated, I'll move on from this position.

I am more concerned about whether I should ask them about other positions.

JustGettingBy
Thanks for all the replies/input everyone. I have a second interview later this week. I'm going to inquire more about the traveling. If it can't be negotiated, I'll move on from this position.

I am more concerned about whether I should ask them about other positions.

If they say that they can't compromise (they won't give you the job), its best you ask about other opportunities for sure. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.