Showing identity at new job

I start a job in a new company tomorrow. It's a Fortune-500, and one of my first day tasks will be to show proof of identity (prob for USCIS purposes) to the person who will be my direct boss. (I haven't interviewed with him or met him).

I know people in general might discriminate (trying to link my age and the position I have and make sense of it). There's even a law for age discrimination as you may know. I learned from previous experiences where I was open about my age and got comments I did not appreciate, so I usually do not disclose it.

Would it make sense to cover my birth date on my passport with a small stickie when I show him my document? I think my age is none of his business and quite honestly I don't want him to know it.

Is the fear that this person will be much older but not much farther up in the hierarchy? I think he will have access to your personnel files no matter what. Are you fearing specifically ageism, or with elements of sexism and xenophobia thrown in. What field are you in and is it male dominated? I think in general, when it comes to male bosses, if they are sexist, it comes out with both older and younger women, with younger women getting more 'surface friendliness' but with a bit of condescension.

• Author

Without going too much into detail for privacy reasons, a few points below.

There's a great chance he is younger than me i.e. as due to several reasons I started my professional life 8-10 years later than usual. But it's not only that. I'll give another example - at the beginning of my career a woman who was doing the project management of a project I was working on as an intermediate professional asked me my age. At the time I was naive about this, and would say it to anyone who asked. Right away she said: how come we are the same age and you are in a lower position???

:mad: Well well... because I've had an interesting life, traveled the world, was conscripted to the army in my country of origin for a couple years, did many more interesting things than you before having my first job, biatch? ;)

No, I didn't say that, but I understood very quickly people will judge your age related to you position and whatnot. Hence I stopped divulging personal details since. HR will have my data yes, but in such a big company I am not sure my direct boss can ask for this kind of stuff from them. Prob not.

See my point? I don't want people to prejudge me due to ageism, sexism, whatever it may be. I learned that saying less is usually the best way to go.

Anyone has advice on the original question?

Edgy ... I was an HR manager years ago and if you're working in the US ... you show your docs to the HR dept. not your boss ... unless they are one in the same. If you're working for a fortune 500 company, I'm sure they follow laws strictly ... if anyone asks your age, ask them why they are asking. FYI...it's against the law to ask your age during interviews in the US ... your age is no one's business and will only come out when you show proof of work eligibility like with a passport etc.

This is different if working for the airlines as a pilot or anyplace where age is important.

You can't really do that here in the States.

You'll be perceived as dishonest, hiding something, etc.

Just present the ID as you are asked without any tricks.

The experience you had with the last jerk doesn't foretell a thing about the new boss.

• Like 1
  • Author

I am in US. No one is asking for my age specifically.

It was noted that they have to see I am who I say I am kind of thing... hence I have to bring a document. Normal procedure I'd imagine in a large firm. Although they already ran an extensive background check on me. I am bringing my passport. Also this below I suppose, because they asked for types of docs that are also described below:

Acceptable Documents | USCIS

I totally agree I should be showing it to HR only. But it's a huge company, with several offices (mine is one of the offices in the city, HQ is in another state and they have a zillion offices worldwide), the HR person who recruited me is in Canada. I guess someone has to see the official document live, and that's why it would be my direct boss, maybe there's no HR person in my office?... ugh.

Edgy ... I was an HR manager years ago and if you're working in the US ... you show your docs to the HR dept. not your boss ... unless they are one in the same. If you're working for a fortune 500 company, I'm sure they follow laws strictly ... if anyone asks your age, ask them why they are asking. FYI...it's against the law to ask your age during interviews in the US ... your age is no one's business and will only come out when you show proof of work eligibility like with a passport etc.

This is different if working for the airlines as a pilot or anyplace where age is important.

• Author

I agree, I am not saying he's a bad person, but this kind of info should be... private information. Only HR should know this kind of stuff. I don't think he should be entitled to know my age.

You can't really do that here in the States.

You'll be perceived as dishonest, hiding something, etc.

Just present the ID as you are asked without any tricks.

The experience you had with the last jerk doesn't foretell a thing about the new boss.

• Author

Here's what my onboarding portal says re: one of my tasks on my first day. My guess is there is no HR person in this specific office, and that's why I have to show one "acceptable document" to direct boss. Ugh...

"On your first day, you will need to:

• Complete your I-9. Please bring appropriate identification with you (see the attached “List of Acceptable Documents”)."

--

Also, I read on USCIS website instructing employers on employment verification:

"If a person is unable to present the required document(s) within three business days of the date work for pay begins, he or she must present an acceptable receipt within that time The person then must present the actual document when the receipt period ends (...)

--

Not sure why I can't just scan it and send it to HR though... why does it have to be presented live? As if my boss will know if it's fake or not? lol.

Edited by edgygirl

I misunderstood the situation. I was working in a field that was not friendly to having life happen, like having to take care of my terminally ill parent. It was fun while it lasted, but I needed to make a choice. So I am also starting out a little lower on the totem pole than is usual in a related field, so I know the feeling.

I think that you should be assertive if asked directly about your age, but not go to great lengths to conceal it, like covering your passport. Ultimately, as long as you play well with others, it should not be a problem. Keep an eye out for departments or roles that would be a good fit, so that if there is a culture clash, you'll have an idea where to go I have also encountered someone who was sort of an ******* about it, and I handled it by being extremely curious about why they were worried about it.

• Author

Sorry to hear about your parent. I had a ill parent this year and totally understand the choice to put family first although I am super professional.

I don't necessarily think anyone will be discriminating against me, I just feel at a disadvantage to start with, when people know TMI about me that I wouldn't disclose otherwise and it's not their business.

I wish I could just talk about it with HR, but I don't want to create more fuss as I already refused to sign an ultra invasive background check form from a 3rd company (HR were okay with it, agreeing for me to provide proof for 2 items they needed and couldn't get otherwise as I didn't sign the form).

I wish HR personnel was more conscientious of this kind of matter...

As a manager, I've verified people's I-9 documentation many times because there was no local HR person. I've never once even bothered to look at the age.

You're already hired... I doubt your manager gives a rat's ass about your age at this point.

However, covering up your age? THAT looks and feels shady... and as a manager, I'd definitely wonder why you felt the need to do that.

• Like 4
I agree, I am not saying he's a bad person, but this kind of info should be... private information. Only HR should know this kind of stuff. I don't think he should be entitled to know my age.

Welcome to the usa. :D You have to adapt to the culture, as I did in Israel.

There is nothing unusual about the request. Let it go.

• Author

Well well I am a manager as well, and I understand privacy concerns as well as age discrimination, and would totally understand someone's wish to keep irrelevant facts private.

It's good to hear from people with differing points of view though, as I can keep perspective that tons of people are more suspicious about thing I consider unimportant details than I am.

As a manager, I've verified people's I-9 documentation many times because there was no local HR person. I've never once even bothered to look at the age.

You're already hired... I doubt your manager gives a rat's ass about your age at this point.

However, covering up your age? THAT looks and feels shady... and as a manager, I'd definitely wonder why you felt the need to do that.

• Author

I've been here for 10 years actually, but after the invasive release agreement form the third party background check company asked me to sign, I started to notice privacy issues that really bothered me and think about my privacy rights.

A proof that sometimes a company will accommodate (it doesn't always have to be you to accommodate) is that the company let go and just asked me for proof the 3rd party company could not obtain.

Israel is a different ball game. I am familiar with ;)

Welcome to the usa. :D You have to adapt to the culture, as I did in Israel.

There is nothing unusual about the request. Let it go.

I hate to rain on the parade but the world already knows how old you are. This is the information age - nothing's private anymore. DOB is one of the fundamentals of a person's identity, so it's out there. Databases everywhere already know it, and some even publish the info to anyone curious enough to search.

I guess I understand the general desire for privacy (if not in this particular case), but information privacy really is a pipe dream in today's world.

• Like 2

I get not wanting to give out info that might be stolen by someone who might steal your ID but proving who you are to a new employer seems like a no brainer.

If you can provide a document that doesn't have your DOB on it then do that but if you can't then you have your answer.

MY DL has my DOB on it, I have to show that to many people in my world, insurance agents, when I write a check to the cashier, the police.. etc etc..

If the company commits an act of age discrimination on you, from the age of 40 on up then your remedy is a legal one and hiding your age at the ID stage of your new employment won't stop it from happening...IMO

Today all someone has to do to find your age is google.. or go to a site like ussearch so you may be creating more trouble than it's worth at this stage.

If your remedy isn't with the HR department then discuss it with him and if you can just scan the document and email it to HR and if he says no then all you can do is show him your ID...

Good luck on your new job...:)

Its best that you just show it, you havent even started yet I would not cause issue here simply because it may be seen as difficult. You can't run from your age if you bring up any compliant about having to show it your employer may not be impressed and may end up annoyed with your insecurities vs following conduct you don't wanna be told they dont have time for such things, that wouldnt be a good start. Just show them.

seriously, this is an issue?

DOB is required by the company: retirement, life, disability benefit costs are based on age.

the federal gov't requires company's to obtain 'proof of existence' for immigration purposes (hence the I9) --- odd this is NEVER mentioned when there is a debate on whether police can verify it.

otherwise, find another job.

He will need to see it to do the I-9. You are already hired, your age is already known based on your background check information. That gets shared with the manager.

Once you are in the HRIS system your manager will have your age if not already in there from the ATS system. I am not saying age discrimination doesn't happen but cross that bridge if you come to it. I think right now you are over thinking.

GunslingerRoland

Most of the age discrimination I've seen is people not being taken seriously because they are too young.

Although if you're in tech sometimes being 50 plus can be seen as a negative.

Show the I.D. He probably won't even look at the date of birth.

The woman who commented on your age negatively, in that previous example you gave, was a weird age-obsessed jerk who was showing her hand (her own discomfort with her own age/accomplishment) with that comment.

How do I know this? Because she didn't just mention your age and situation. She had to compare it to hers.

New boss is pretty unlikely to be anywhere near as obsessed with age. And if he is, he'd have found out your age by now (or he'd find it out some other way). Totally harmless to show I.D.

Most people are way more concerned with being young, Themselves, than with someone else being old. As a woman who looks a lot younger than I am, I've found that the best way to respond to weird age inquiries is to unapologetically tell my age and then totally dismiss, or interrupt, any weird comments about age. As if they'd started giving you too much information about intimate details of their psyches or something. It's all about their insecurities, and you don't have time for that.

Congrats on the job!!

Edited by jakrbbt
  • Like 1
  • Author

You must be young, and a man. Yes - it can be an issue, mainly for women, I believe. If it's not for you, great. Not everyone has to think like you, don't you agree?

And did you read my post?

I am not saying documents should not be required by the company. I am saying I wish personal private info that is irrelevant to the job should be kept in HR archives, not shared with managers or colleagues. My age, marital status and whatnot is no one's issue but mine.

I see... police should stop "immigrant-looking" people in the street and demand proof of residence. Are you Republican by any chance?

Find another job? :eek: What?

People should read the whole OP before commenting.

seriously, this is an issue?

DOB is required by the company: retirement, life, disability benefit costs are based on age.

the federal gov't requires company's to obtain 'proof of existence' for immigration purposes (hence the I9) --- odd this is NEVER mentioned when there is a debate on whether police can verify it.

otherwise, find another job.

• Author

I did show it. And thankfully I realized this boss seems to be a great guy, and actually he is not young himself although he was just recently promoted.

As you, I also look much younger than I am, so when people realize I am not as young as they think I am, they usually say weird things. The shocked faces they make when they realize I'm older than I seem have been bothering me lately.

You are right, that woman had issues. I am still friends with her on social networks and she's not very endearing.

I am actually not concerned about being young or so. I just don't want people to judge where I am at my career based on my age.

And people can google the hell out of me, and there are several pages on me, but my age is NOT out there freely as someone implied.

Also, in a huge company such as this, I doubt HR passed my background check directly to my manager, or that my manager can freely access my HR file with no good reason. Background check was a mere formality - they didn't ask any of this info, including docs that show age or so, BEFORE extending me a job offer. They did not know my age or any personal info before the offer. Why would that be made available AFTER I accepted the job? Hence why I think HR should be more careful with personal info irrelevant to the position.

Thanks to those who congratulated me ;)

Show the I.D. He probably won't even look at the date of birth.

The woman who commented on your age negatively, in that previous example you gave, was a weird age-obsessed jerk who was showing her hand (her own discomfort with her own age/accomplishment) with that comment.

How do I know this? Because she didn't just mention your age and situation. She had to compare it to hers.

New boss is pretty unlikely to be anywhere near as obsessed with age. And if he is, he'd have found out your age by now (or he'd find it out some other way). Totally harmless to show I.D.

Most people are way more concerned with being young, Themselves, than with someone else being old. As a woman who looks a lot younger than I am, I've found that the best way to respond to weird age inquiries is to unapologetically tell my age and then totally dismiss, or interrupt, any weird comments about age. As if they'd started giving you too much information about intimate details of their psyches or something. It's all about their insecurities, and you don't have time for that.

Congrats on the job!!

Edited by edgygirl
Eternal Sunshine

I am the same. Very uncomfortable showing anyone my DOB and get the same comments. People think I am younger and then seem weirded out by my age. I basically avoid showing my DOB in any way possible if I can.

If I need to show my passport and DL, I cringe and do. In a casual conversation if I am asked for my age, I just go "guess!" and then deflect without actually saying anything.

In your situation, I would do it. My company has a HR department but everyone is best friends with everyone, they all hang out at each other houses. Everyone basically knows your age, pay and anything they want. :sick:

I did show it. And thankfully I realized this boss seems to be a great guy, and actually he is not young himself although he was just recently promoted.

As you, I also look much younger than I am, so when people realize I am not as young as they think I am, they usually say weird things. The shocked faces they make when they realize I'm older than I seem have been bothering me lately.

You are right, that woman had issues. I am still friends with her on social networks and she's not very endearing.

I am actually not concerned about being young or so. I just don't want people to judge where I am at my career based on my age.

And people can google the hell out of me, and there are several pages on me, but my age is NOT out there freely as someone implied.

Also, in a huge company such as this, I doubt HR passed my background check directly to my manager, or that my manager can freely access my HR file with no good reason. Background check was a mere formality - they didn't ask any of this info, including docs that show age or so, BEFORE extending me a job offer. They did not know my age or any personal info before the offer. Why would that be made available AFTER I accepted the job? Hence why I think HR should be more careful with personal info irrelevant to the position.

Thanks to those who congratulated me ;)

You are wrong. A large company has a HRIS or HRMS (Human Resources Information System or a Human Resources Management System) and your manager would have this information. Your age is not top secret information that management would be restricted to information on it. It really isn't that big of deal. Just like other information like pay, etc. management is expected NOT to discriminate though there are laws around it if they do.