Should I quit my job

I'm really going to try to make a long story short..

Backstory: After graduating from college a year ago. I was torn between two things 1. Getting a full time job or 2. Going to a Master's program that I was accepted to. I worked all through college either waiting tables or in retail. I had planned to find something part time in my field or continue to wait tables until graduate school this fall. After the restaurant hit a dry spell I decided to pursue a full time job and decide about school later.

At the beginning of spring, I found a full time job that fit my needs perfect. I work would work on the weekends and have some weekdays off. I thought this is great I can go to school part time and work full time. I was offered slight promotion and decided to take it. The promotion changed my schedule and I knew I wouldn't be able to attend graduate school but thought it would be worth it financially. Also this job was not in my field of studies in college.

I have multiple supervisors and my direct supervisor does not like me. She gets along with most of the employees on a super friendly level but I don't have that relationship with her. She has a close knit relationship with her supervisor. She's made joking rude remarks about me.

Things have been pretty calm up until till a few weeks ago. I was never given a clear job description of my promotion and have expressed that on more than one occasion to multiple supervisors with no response other than to continue to do what you're doing. I feel like they are plotting to make my work life miserable to make me quit. I've gotten quite a few snarky emails or conversations. There is obviously a lot more in detail I could go into but for now that is it. I've been feeling so stressed, anxious, and physically sick when I go to work.

I'm regretting giving up my spot at graduate school and I would have to re-apply to get in again and the program was prestige and I don't know how I got in the first place. The money is better than most other jobs where I live and with my degree. I'm scared to walk away from this job and take a pay cut. The sad thing is a lot of my co-workers feel some of the stress that I'm feeling and I really love my co-workers.

I've never quit a job before. I've worked for two businesses that went under and the restaurant. I still work at the restaurant per diem because I don't want to ever become fully unemployed.

Someone please give me advice.

• Like 1

If you are sure she has it in for you, there's no good remedy for that but to quit. I hate to tell anyone to turn down good money, whether it's in your field or not -- plenty of people change fields for the better. But giving up something you have worked toward when you know this person may hold you back doesn't seem worth it. But please, leave on good terms. Simply tell them you feel you must return to your studies and thanks for the wonderful work experiences. Perhaps by graduation she'll have moved on and this place will welcome you back with open arms. I've seldom seen anyone get mad at someone quitting so that they can go back to school. Best of luck.

What are you gonna do, work there the rest of your life? What are you looking for? Are you hoping the company will go under? or fire you? Is that the only way you'll ever leave a job? It's not even your field of study. How your supervisor treats you is not important. If she was nice to you, does that mean you'd work for her as long as she wants and throw away your life? Focus on your career long term.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you for both for the advice.

To the first response. I am really good at my job and think that my supervisor would love to get rid of me but I do really well, and that's why I think I've been given more hoops to jump through and added stress so the job will break me.

To the second reponse, you make a very valid point. While I wasn't planning on making this job the sole focus of my future, I did want to stay at least until I had a new game plan and money saved to work towards that goal. I think I'm just struggling because I've never really left a job before so it's all new to me.

The job sounds like it is not worth the physical stress. I worked a job just like the one you describe where the boss had it in for me. I took it to HR and it made a difference for a little while until my hours tanked and they tried to use performance as an excuse even though there was documentation to indicate how well I had improved. I quit and never looked back. I was unemployed for over a year (late 2008-early 2010 due to the recession) but I was also going to school full time. I made a little less at my next job, but it was definitely worth it no longer having that stress. I would either return full time to school or quit this job and tighten up your budget until you find another suitable position. Good luck!

BrokenManAgain

Military man speaking here. Suck it up and do the best job you can. The measure of your worth ain't when things go right but when things go wrong.

Here's the measure, can you still do what you want to do long term? If yes, give no excuses to your superiors to terminate you.

If no, tell them to F_Off.

• Like 1
Clarence_Boddicker

Quit or document everything & fight a wrongful termination if they mess up when they eventually fire you.

• Like 1

your reasons for wanting to quit sound juvenile.. she doesn't like you? well, sorry, but lots of people in the workplace will dislike you along the way and you can't quit every job because of that. you're building people-skills, so when the question in an interview comes up .. "how do you handle conflict" you have an answer. if you answer is "i quit" well.. you're not made of very strong stuff. be an adult, work through the issues, and get into an online master's program so you can still do studies even with a f/t work schedule.

• Author

Thank you to all who replied.

To the last poster. Without getting into too much information it goes way beyond someone not liking me that would be pretty juvenile but when you have someone purposely trying to make your life miserable and intentionally causing you grief then it goes beyond just personal.

I did find out that someone has it in for me so the job search begins

• Like 1

I hold firm to the belief that you should never quit one job until you have another one lined up first, so start sending out resumes and interviewing, then quit once you get a next job.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
your reasons for wanting to quit sound juvenile.. she doesn't like you? well, sorry, but lots of people in the workplace will dislike you along the way and you can't quit every job because of that. you're building people-skills, so when the question in an interview comes up .. "how do you handle conflict" you have an answer. if you answer is "i quit" well.. you're not made of very strong stuff. be an adult, work through the issues, and get into an online master's program so you can still do studies even with a f/t work schedule.

It sounds "juvenile" until someone who doesn't like you is not only your supervisor but also is messing with your money and your career. There is nothing juvenile about this.

• Like 1
Thank you to all who replied.

To the last poster. Without getting into too much information it goes way beyond someone not liking me that would be pretty juvenile but when you have someone purposely trying to make your life miserable and intentionally causing you grief then it goes beyond just personal.

I did find out that someone has it in for me so the job search begins

I am so sorry you're going through this. I have went through this same ordeal a couple of years ago. It was the field of work I enjoy, but the supervisor had it in for me also. She cut my hours so bad that it was basically rarely gas money to get me there and back. I wish there was some type of legal action you can take to save your reputation so you can be able to find another job, because what happened to me was when I did resign, she made sure it was difficult for me not to be able to find another job in my field ever again....until this year and I am extremely happy. Goes to show that that monkey wasn't going to stop my show, and my advice to you is to not let her stop yours either. Best of luck to you.

I agree, learned it the hard way. SO much easier to find a job when you're employed.

I hold firm to the belief that you should never quit one job until you have another one lined up first, so start sending out resumes and interviewing, then quit once you get a next job.
  • Like 1

You should probably leave. Also, if you can help it, don't make this place your permanent residence once you get done with all of your studies. Staying in a place with limited choices is just a waste of time.

I don't think you should give up yet.

Empower yourself, I've worked with people who've had it in for me in the past...& it feels really good to stand up for yourself when they try to undermine you.

When you get a snarky email or comment. Respond politely and firmly that you don't appreciate the tone or content. Then buy yourself some time to contemplate your next move. ie: if you're in a face to face situation walk away and get a glass of water or go to the bathroom and think on it.

Learn all you can about your rights and rules in the workplace and don't be afraid to challenge anyone who oversteps the boundaries.

The one who had it in for me got a new job after I started challenging her.