I work in a company that is in production of leather products. It is both make-to-stock and make-to-order.

I work as a productions planner in the operations department. The other part of operations dept is client interaction. There is a girl as a client servicer. I know she is embezzling company money in the form of fake client lunch & dinner meetings. I have seen her myself sitting with her BF in a fancy coffee shop. I have a mole ( another coworker) in the client interface who informs me when she is going out of the office and which client she said she was going to meet. I have interactions with some of those clients because after the initial client interfacing, it is me as production planning they contact to know the progress of order. So when she goes out I give a call to the client and pretend to give him a heads up about his order. And by that way I come to know that there was no meeting scheduled with that client service girl. Its not difficult to make 2*2=4.

Now this girl is about to get a promotion and I am not. So she somewhat gets a senior promotion than me. This is where I am jealous.

So I am thinking about outing her. Frightening I have kept all records of her going in and out of the office "to meet clients". But here lies the problem.

I was on a business trip with this girl to a glamourous seaside place. So we both took our BF and GF respectively with us. And we used the company money to finance their stay and enjoyment on the trip. So she also has some goods on me but she probably didn't keep any records like me.

Should I expose her? If yes, how should I go about it?

Are you nuts? You did the same thing as she did on that vacation. Keep your mouth shut. Little coffee shop lunches are small beans compared to that.

• Like 6

Never 'out' someone unless your slate is impeccably clean. Yours isn't.

If she is getting the promotion she is clearly doing well.

It's best not to take work personally, quit the jealousy, it's a waste of energy.

Use the energy in your role instead.

Being jealous of someone at work is a pointless activity and the worst part is that to others it becomes very obvious.

I've just had a situation the last week or so where my boss who is one of the company Directors has become aware that one of the Managers who also reports to him is either jealous of me or has it in for me for some reason.

The good news is he spotted this and he has advised me not to involve her in things. He wants to involve her if he needs to and he has told me he will wait and see if she behaves the same way with him as she does with me.

I'm happy out of it!

• Like 2

Why would you take all this time and effort, on your company's dime, to independently investigate her and not just turn it over to them to investigate.

As someone in management I think you should turn both you and she in and give them all the information you have. Offer to repay whatever costs you incurred and hope you don't get fired.

• Like 1

you're ok with being underhanded when it suits you, but want to expose someone else for the same thing? you've got way too much free time at work if you can be shadowing this girl and her movements/meetings and keeping detailed records on her. how about doing your job better and getting promoted? perhaps focusing on her is what is stopping you from getting ahead b/c you're not focused on yourself and your own work. you get what you deserve, and it doesn't sound like you're deserving, so no need to be jealous of her.

• Like 2
Never 'out' someone unless your slate is impeccably clean. Yours isn't.

I would agree with this, personally. As the old saying goes, "Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

• Author

The jealously between us goes 3 years back when we joined the company on the same day, albeit different department. But we have constant work interactions. Sometime we have to visit clients together. Initially we were kind of friendly with each other.

But since our first meeting with client together is when she got under my skin. That meeting and in subsequent meetings she thinks she is the boss. I admit she is quite a looker. So the lecherous clients obviously gives her more attention than me. And she perfectly uses this oppurtunities to question me about production status as if she thinks I am answerable to her. I AM NOT. I am only answerable to my boss, the SR. PRODUCTIONS MANAGER, OPERATIONS. Infact as a production guy I can check her if I feel she is promising client a hasty timeline thats not possible to meet.

I understand this is a foolish idea. Better to let it go.

I get it, but stop wasting your precious energy dwelling on her. Workplaces unfortunately for the more ethical among us often don't operate at the highest ethical level, but you have to just blend in with the program. You have some personal issues with her, attraction and resentment because you're attracted and she treats you as an underling. Just try to stop thinking about her at all and make her a nonissue, nonstressor, and enjoy what few perks you guys are getting as long as you maintain a good sales record.

• Like 1
The jealously between us goes 3 years back when we joined the company on the same day, albeit different department. But we have constant work interactions. Sometime we have to visit clients together. Initially we were kind of friendly with each other.

But since our first meeting with client together is when she got under my skin. That meeting and in subsequent meetings she thinks she is the boss. I admit she is quite a looker. So the lecherous clients obviously gives her more attention than me. And she perfectly uses this oppurtunities to question me about production status as if she thinks I am answerable to her. I AM NOT. I am only answerable to my boss, the SR. PRODUCTIONS MANAGER, OPERATIONS. Infact as a production guy I can check her if I feel she is promising client a hasty timeline thats not possible to meet.

I understand this is a foolish idea. Better to let it go.

Her flirting is good for your business. Sex sells an we all use it!!

She got under your skin because you let that happen and you didn't bother to just ignore it and work as a team for the benefit of the business which you both wish to stay employed by as it pays your bills.

If she questions you..you know the answer..it's your domain is it not?

Work on your domain and get to know it and then you will get the promotion as and when you deserve it.

Sounds like your paranoia over this colleague has taken over your work situation. It's not her fault. You have control over your own thoughts, actions and reactions.

This is not really about petty expense claims. You have harboured and grown for yourself a great big issue with this colleague..

Be honest here at least, you say she is a looker. Is this the main issue here?

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah expense claims are not the issue because I am not someone who sees company's assets as my own asset. I think relationship with company is give and take. So yes, those little lunches and movies are not the issue.

If she was not bossing me around in front of clients and being a bit nice in a way her questions sounded as consulting together, then I think we would do fine.

And yes, she is attractive. I am attracted to her. But wouldn't want anything with her relationship wise who thinks she is the reincarnation of Queen Padmavati. These girls only brings misery in life. Being honest here.

She could be a totally different person away from work, but you have to just accept she is who she is and despite her being attractive, she isn't for you. I think it's just her being good looking that keeping you in a tailspin. You need to learn some control over that. She probably isn't interested in anything romantic at work at all and is more concerned about her career. You're spending time trying to imagine a scenario under which you could still get together romantically despite the fact she seemingly has no interest in pleasing you in that way. You're dwelling on her too much. The remedy for that is get a life outside of work, find someone not at work to date.

So, looking at all of your posts here...

You have no issue with the expenses claims and you have done the very same thing yourself. Stop with using the 'mole' and stop pretending to give the client a heads up.

You find her attractive and you are jealous of her promotion, you also say she is bossy with you and you appear to be resentful over all these things.

If you are resentful because you feel she doesn't find you attractive then that is plain ridiculous and this is all down to you. Thought processes which you have control over.

She is getting a promotion. This means that she has shown initiative and people have and are recognising that.

Looking at your roles. You are the Production Planner, she is Client Interface.

This means she has to be the go-between for the client and you.

If she is bossing you around I am wondering whether she is having to spoon feed you to some extent to try to get answers out of you?

The end result that you both want is a happy customer.

When the customer gives the spec of what they are looking for there will be certain standard things that CI will know can and can't be done right off the bat but you as the PP are the one who will know specifics.

So, from your side of things and way before a client meeting you should be consulting with her to get as much info of what the customer wants, needs and what their expectations are. Anything that is out right a no no eg that kind of leather and stitching simply do not work together, the volumes and timeline would be impossible to achieve or that shade of leather is one specifically sourced and could take time to get into stock - all of those things you should be investigating and supplying the CI with the info before any client meeting.

The CI can then go back to the client, relay that, make amendments and then when it comes to the client meeting all that should need discussing are the finer details.

If none of that is done in advance then both the CI and the client will be assuming that the spec is fine and achievable.

If they then find out that there is some big problem (as above) then they will have to re-trace steps at a much later stage as reassess the whole spec.

Are you doing all of that background work and feedback to her or are you just waiting for the meeting to bring things up?

Going by just even this thread it seems that a lot of questions are required to get to the crux of the matter. If that is how you also operate in a work environment as well then I can understand why she appears to boss you about. All she is trying to do is get clear and solid info for the client so that the client knows what to expect and in what time frame.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • Author

I am leaving this job in less than a week. Will this be the time to handover all the evidence I have against this coworker?

Don't be ridiculous. That was petty crap. And you know full well you're really only mad you're having to take orders from a pretty woman. You need to get a grip.

Not sure I understand the issue with your trip. I can travel for work and invite my wife. She get's free lodging since the company would pay for my lodging anyway. Wife pays for her flight and all other expenses. Nothing inappropriate with that.

What she did is two fold 1) she is using company money for personal use (lunches, dinners with her bf AND 2) she is stealing time - she is getting paid for entertaining clients and she is not doing that. That is time theft.

I would turn her in a heartbeat. Your company should have a whistleblower system that protects you (federal law).