My work place is in an industrial park. We have business's comprising 8 different entities. Most of our business's get along. If they need to borrow a shovel, they stop over, If we need a wrench, we stop over...It's a friendly place for the most part.

In today walks the business neighbor from heck. She is a tyrant with her interns and has no qualms with being demeaning to any person she sets her mind to. I think if she ever cracked a smile her cold heart might melt. Anyways, she stopped in to rant about one of her interns. The intern had stopped into our business because we have high end print systems for marketing brochures. she had her template ready and asked to have one sample done to get proofed by her boss. Her boss wasn't in ( that would be the mean lady that I referenced). So the Co owner saw the proof and approved it. The young lady stopped back over and made an order request for 1000 sets. I told her I would gladly get the order over to production but could she have her boss stop in to review as we have had clashes with her before.

So an hour later, in a huff comes the lady. She takes one look at the proof, marks all over it, and says, thanks, remove the order request. This is garbage. Please throw it away. when I asked her what parts she thought needed improved, (the color, the text, the paper?), she remarked, I am the business owner, and I do NOT think you have the ability to produce the level of print I require. Plus the young lady in our marketing has no clue how to follow directions. And off she goes, slamming doors as she heads out.

About an hour later, the young gal comes in with such a sad look and says....may I have my market sample back? I explained that her boss instructed that it be torn up and tossed. the Young gal then explained that she is an intern and Her school instructor wanted to see the project to give some feedback to help her. ( At least her instructor saw potential). I then told her to bring back her original template and I would run off a copy for her....So off she went and I ran it for her. It went in her portfolio for her internship.

As much as I understand the dog eat dog world of business's, somewhere along the way I learned to build ppl up so they can achieve...not tear them down so they are minions for a boss like our neighbor. So My question is...When looking at the brochure objectively, it really was well displayed and innovative...I'm half tempted to let my boss know of this young ladies skills as he is currently looking for a marketing member. Would that be unethical in this business world to mention such? A part of me feels I would be saving this gal from unnecessary treatment ...but I certainly don't want to ruffle feathers with this business neighbor. To preface, when interning, they aren't being paid, they are there to gain experience only....

• Like 1
Clarence_Boddicker

She's an unpaid intern. I wouldn't worry, as long as you don't steal anything confidential from the bad business that the intern might have learned from them.

• Author

Thanks, put that way , it seems reasonable then to at last suggest the opportunity to the marketing gal when she is finished with her tenure there.