I've heard it all now

So, I work in a school where I sometimes have to be the bearer of bad news about broken technology to parents. One kid broke something twice in a week and his parents actually told my boss that perhaps I had some ulterior motive because 12 years ago, this parent didn't give my kid enough playing time.

I. was. livid. And my boss (actually assistant boss) said, "is this about playing time?" I can't even remember my son playing this sport and don't ever remember this guy being his coach. Not to mention, there was no discrepancy where I could even have made a different choice. If I hadn't charge him for the break, our IT department would have.

But I sent him an email saying I thought his kid was great (he really is), that I was just following district policy and that I didn't appreciate him giving my boss misinformation so that he has to question how I do my job.

In a world where I'm trying to exact boundaries and not participate in PA behavior, I don't really give a crap on the outcome of this.

It. Was. Absurd.

Did your boss go ahead and charge the parent? Or, did they drop the charges?

I would not let the parent know his false accusations are having an effect on your job. It may give him the idea to speak with your boss and make up other things. Is this student in your classroom? Can someone else deliver the news if this kid breaks anything else?

Let the bill/invoice speak for itself. These parental assumptions are not holding water.

Toss the red herring concepts to the side and deal with the final amounts due.

Most responsible people would take accountability and deal with it maturely. This parent seems to have some growing to do.

• Author
Did your boss go ahead and charge the parent? Or, did they drop the charges?

I would not let the parent know his false accusations are having an effect on your job. It may give him the idea to speak with your boss and make up other things. Is this student in your classroom? Can someone else deliver the news if this kid breaks anything else?

I put the charge on the account. I suppose he could remove it but I don't see that yet.

Student is not in classroom, but is my responsibility. Yes, I will have my boss deliver any more bad news to this parent.

So, I work in a school where I sometimes have to be the bearer of bad news about broken technology to parents. One kid broke something twice in a week and his parents actually told my boss that perhaps I had some ulterior motive because 12 years ago, this parent didn't give my kid enough playing time.

I. was. livid. And my boss (actually assistant boss) said, "is this about playing time?" I can't even remember my son playing this sport and don't ever remember this guy being his coach. Not to mention, there was no discrepancy where I could even have made a different choice. If I hadn't charge him for the break, our IT department would have.

But I sent him an email saying I thought his kid was great (he really is), that I was just following district policy and that I didn't appreciate him giving my boss misinformation so that he has to question how I do my job.

In a world where I'm trying to exact boundaries and not participate in PA behavior, I don't really give a crap on the outcome of this.

It. Was. Absurd.

Remember: In your case the parents are the customer. Some customers are bad but most are tolerable.

Stick to the facts and avoid making it personal.

In this case since the customer is under the impression that there is some conflict of interest it's best to defer this one to your boss.