What do you do when your accused of something at work ya didn't do?

OneLife2Live

So, I had my yearly evaluation today, which was good, never had a bad one. When it came to discussing any concerns my Supervisor told me that management is concerned why I have so many text messages with my clients when other staff in my position don't have near as many as I do. They are concerned that I'm crossing boundaries with my clients and texting like we are friends or about things that are not job related. Ummmm, no! I can't control if my clients text me with questions, concerns, in crisis, etc. If they do text, I am not going to ignore their text. If it's a serious matter, I do call them, but if I can't reach them, I will text them back.

My Supervisor told me she knows I am not doing this, but since management has concerns, she needed to bring it to my attention. I told her that if they want to know what I am texting, they can look at my phone. Or they can go to the program we use for the documentation of the conversation I entered.

I'm pissed and hurt. I have been with the company for over 12 years and this is how they treat me? If I was going to be buddy buddy with my clients, I would add them to my FB which is frowned upon by management however it's not really a written policy we can't have them. I choose not to, I leave work at work (yea I know, not leaving work at work posting this). I don't call or text them when I'm off the clock. My work cell stays at my office.

WWYD if the company you have been so loyal to for 12 years did this to you? I know this is minor, but it still pisses me off they are accusing me of something I haven't done.

Management isn't in the same town so it's not like I can just take the agency cell phone to them to show them.

Employers are still trying to get a handle on social media and electronic communications. I'd take a few screen caps from various clients & print them out so management can see everything was above board. Going forward, I'd re-train the clients to contact you via e-mail so that your employer has better access & can see all you are doing is giving good customer care.

• Like 1

Since they can check the texts on your phone, I don't understand why, if they're concerned, they didn't take a look at your phone instead of questioning your integrity. Maybe they should turn it into a positive and think you're doing a good job by being approachable and responsive to help clients in case of a crisis.

After such a conversation, I would keep documentation of all text messages. I don't think I would confront anyone about it since you already let them know they're more than welcome to take a look for themselves. But, I would cover my behind by keeping records of everything just in case.

• Like 2

i would ask around the office and see if anyone else was reprimanded for this as well. perhaps you are being excessive and don't need to be responding to every little thing? if you were the only one singled out then you must be doing something wrong, but if it's a company-wide concern then they likely told others too. ask around, don't be shy or embarrassed by it. you might want to ask for the company policy again regarding texts - to show how compliant you're being and - perhaps - to see if you missed something you need to be aware of.

• Author
OneLife2Live
Employers are still trying to get a handle on social media and electronic communications. I'd take a few screen caps from various clients & print them out so management can see everything was above board. Going forward, I'd re-train the clients to contact you via e-mail so that your employer has better access & can see all you are doing is giving good customer care.
I totally understand their reasonings behind social media and electronic communications. I just can't understand why they didn't look at my documentation in the program or my agency cell phone of all my text conversations with my clients rather than immediately questioning why I have so many text. I know that in the past we were limited on the amount of text we could have because they agency cell phones were on cheaper plans. But, when they got us all new phones they got a package that all text were unlimited so no one had to be concerned about going over. Now I am being questioned why I have so many? Maybe I do need to take a screen shot and send it to management.

As for the emails, a lot of my clients don't have an email account, or even a computer. I work for a agency that works with clients in poverty, or near poverty. But, I think I am going to start telling the one's that do have an email to just email me instead.

Since they can check the texts on your phone, I don't understand why, if they're concerned, they didn't take a look at your phone instead of questioning your integrity. Maybe they should turn it into a positive and think you're doing a good job by being approachable and responsive to help clients in case of a crisis.

After such a conversation, I would keep documentation of all text messages. I don't think I would confront anyone about it since you already let them know they're more than welcome to take a look for themselves. But, I would cover my behind by keeping records of everything just in case.

That is exactly what I thought. How can they question my integrity without even looking at my phone to see what is on there? They just looked at the numbers of text and assumed I am breaking boundaries.

I look at it as that I am there for them when they need me and not ignoring them. It's my job. I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Thank you for both of your replies.

• Author
OneLife2Live
i would ask around the office and see if anyone else was reprimanded for this as well. perhaps you are being excessive and don't need to be responding to every little thing? if you were the only one singled out then you must be doing something wrong, but if it's a company-wide concern then they likely told others too. ask around, don't be shy or embarrassed by it. you might want to ask for the company policy again regarding texts - to show how compliant you're being and - perhaps - to see if you missed something you need to be aware of.

I did speak to another co-worker in the same line of work and told her what was said about the texting. She said she doesn't know why they are bringing this up to me, especially when there is unlimited texting. She said that I can't help if clients text me and I certainly don't want to ignore it.

TBH, there really isn't much about texting in our company. It use to be that we were only allowed a certain amount of text, but now we get unlimited.

We just had a training not too long ago on the employee handbook and nothing was mentioned about texting. There was a few changes that is why we had the training, but nothing to do with texting.

I have decided that if clients need me to call, if they can't reach me, leave a VM and I will get back to them ASAP. Sound be interesting how this turns out. My contact hours with clients is going to go down and the agency is all about having contact with our clients.

Sometimes higher ups, who are making the decisions, but aren't out in the field, lose touch with reality. It sounds like that may be what happened in your case. Your boss was probably told by her boss to discuss it, so she was just following the chain of command.

I've worked in a similar type job. We had a problem with the higher ups, who sat in their offices all day, understanding the reality of what went on in the field. We were highly pressured when clients didn't comply with the policy of coming in for various things. Of course we called them and tried every which way to get them there, offering resources and everything under the sun, but some still wouldn't participate at times. The only thing left to do would be to hunt them down and physically force them. The big wigs couldn't understand that we couldn't make everyone do what we all hoped they would do.

We also had some clients that contacted us all the time. We responded every single time ASAP. We reached out during times of crisis or extra stressors to check on them and see if they needed anything. Sometimes it took several calls (we didn't have texting). It's all part of the job.

Edited by JenRiv

Let's break this down a bit...

Someome in management noticed that you have a higher volume of texts than your co-workers--enough higher to be noticeable.

They have the capability to check to see the content of the texts, yet they have not. Instead, they advised your Supervisor to ask you about it during your review--not as a part of any disciplinary inquiry.

They simply wanted an explanation from you because it wasn't important enough to investigate. They weren't accusing you; they were making an inquiry.

It is not out of line for a business to want to know what their employees are doing on company time, with company equipment & in regard to client interaction. Being a long-time employee does not guarantee absolute compliance with company policies and it is not unusual for those who have become "comfortable in their position" to become lax. It is good policy for a company to perform due diligence in regard to its operations & all of its employees.

Even so, they didn't make a "big deal" out of the issue. They merely inquired. Since you have nothing to hide, what is the problem? Personally, I would be happy that they brought the issue to my attention and gave me the opportunity to dispel any concerns.

The bottom line is that your employer may appreciate your contributions but they are not your friends or family. You are an employee & your length of service does not give you autonomy nor immunity from policies/procedures. They have a right to question your performance. They owe you nothing but a pay check. Management is not your friend--nor your enemy. They are just other employees doing their job.

• Like 2
whichwayisup

Do you use your phone for personal use? Any personal texting to friends or family?

I suggest since you have nothing to hide, bring your phone to the boss and get IT department to check your phone, it'll prove that you've been professional and not doing anything wrong.

I’m not seeing where you were accused of something that you did not do. Your thread title is VERY misleading and overly dramatic. You’re making it sound worse than it really is. You do a lot of texting back and forth with clients…your supervisor feels it’s too much. So, dial it back a bit. I definitely would NOT go around and ask your colleagues if they have been reprimanded for the same thing – you were not reprimanded and other peoples reprimands (regardless of what they are for) are not your business…that would be needlessly stirring up a hornet’s nest. Aside from your inquiries getting back to your supervisor (which they definitely will) you'll come across as whiney and it'll look like you're trying to make a case about nothing. Stop being so defensive. Supervisors aren't obligated to always tell an employee how great they are. You’re obviously ticked off about being mildly criticized, but like I said, cut back on all the texting.

Edited by applej4
  • Author
OneLife2Live
Sometimes higher ups, who are making the decisions, but aren't out in the field, lose touch with reality. It sounds like that may be what happened in your case. Your boss was probably told by her boss to discuss it, so she was just following the chain of command.

I've worked in a similar type job. We had a problem with the higher ups, who sat in their offices all day, understanding the reality of what went on in the field. We were highly pressured when clients didn't comply with the policy of coming in for various things. Of course we called them and tried every which way to get them there, offering resources and everything under the sun, but some still wouldn't participate at times. The only thing left to do would be to hunt them down and physically force them. The big wigs couldn't understand that we couldn't make everyone do what we all hoped they would do.

We also had some clients that contacted us all the time. We responded every single time ASAP. We reached out during times of crisis or extra stressors to check on them and see if they needed anything. Sometimes it took several calls (we didn't have texting). It's all part of the job.

I believe this is exactly it. They don't work on in the field. They sit behind their desk 90% of their day collecting data and entering it. They don't know what it's like out in there in the field working with clients.

• Like 1
Stage5Clinger

Pick your battles wisely. This isn't something to get upset about. A lot of times management has to give negative criticism of some kind in an evaluation.

I do wonder why your boss didn't stand up for you if she understands you're being effective.

Also, are you an attractive young girl? Jealousy could play a role.

• Author
OneLife2Live
Do you use your phone for personal use? Any personal texting to friends or family?

I suggest since you have nothing to hide, bring your phone to the boss and get IT department to check your phone, it'll prove that you've been professional and not doing anything wrong.

HI WWIU! The only time I have taken my work cell phone home is when my personal cell phone broke. I asked my supervisor if it was ok in case she needed to contact me. She said that was fine.

Since my cell phone was broke, and I have no home phone, I downloaded a texting application on my personal tablet and used that to communicate with my husband and kids. If I do have to contact my family, it's very rare I use the agency cell phone.

I have brought this to management, offered to show them my cell phone, but via email, they have not replied back to it.

• Author
OneLife2Live
I’m not seeing where you were accused of something that you did not do. Your thread title is VERY misleading and overly dramatic. You’re making it sound worse than it really is. You do a lot of texting back and forth with clients…your supervisor feels it’s too much. So, dial it back a bit. I definitely would NOT go around and ask your colleagues if they have been reprimanded for the same thing – you were not reprimanded and other peoples reprimands (regardless of what they are for) are not your business…that would be needlessly stirring up a hornet’s nest. Aside from your inquiries getting back to your supervisor (which they definitely will) you'll come across as whiney and it'll look like you're trying to make a case about nothing. Stop being so defensive. Supervisors aren't obligated to always tell an employee how great they are. You’re obviously ticked off about being mildly criticized, but like I said, cut back on all the texting.

At the time I posted this, I was upset, so it probably did come off as over dramatic. And no, maybe I didn't choose the best title for my thread.

I have not asked my co-workers if they were given verbal warnings, which this is clearly a verbal warning, about if they were asked about texting too much.

Yes, I am ticked off about this. This is the second time I have been questioned why I have so many text. The first time was several months ago. I could see why they asked at the time because we had limited texting and I had went over once or twice. Several months later management gets us new cell's and she tells me they have unlimited texting so it's not as much of an issue anymore. Then I get a verbal warning about having too many? Like I said I can't control when my clients text me. And when they do, I am not going to ignore it.

I'm not texting anymore unless I can't reach my clients. If they need me, they will have to call my office phone. If they can't reach me, they will need to leave a VM. If it's that important, they will leave a message and I will get back to them ASAP.

• Author
OneLife2Live
Pick your battles wisely. This isn't something to get upset about. A lot of times management has to give negative criticism of some kind in an evaluation.

I do wonder why your boss didn't stand up for you if she understands you're being effective.

Also, are you an attractive young girl? Jealousy could play a role.

There wasn't anything written in the actual evaluation. It was verbally brought up to me at the end of my eval. My whole evaluation was positive. There was only one suggestion that I try not to help my clients too much, they need to learn to do things on their own and be self-sufficient without relying on me.

Had to chuckle at your question. Oh,if I was only young and attractive as I was 15-20 years ago, lol! I am in my mid 40's so no, not young. The management that questioned it is about 10-15 years older than me.

At the time I posted this, I was upset, so it probably did come off as over dramatic. And no, maybe I didn't choose the best title for my thread.

I have not asked my co-workers if they were given verbal warnings, which this is clearly a verbal warning, about if they were asked about texting too much.

Yes, I am ticked off about this. This is the second time I have been questioned why I have so many text. The first time was several months ago. I could see why they asked at the time because we had limited texting and I had went over once or twice. Several months later management gets us new cell's and she tells me they have unlimited texting so it's not as much of an issue anymore. Then I get a verbal warning about having too many? Like I said I can't control when my clients text me. And when they do, I am not going to ignore it.

I'm not texting anymore unless I can't reach my clients. If they need me, they will have to call my office phone. If they can't reach me, they will need to leave a VM. If it's that important, they will leave a message and I will get back to them ASAP.

Wow. I can easily see that you are overly sensitive about even the mildest suggestion or (heaven forbid) criticism. Your supervisor did NOT give you a verbal warning. Period. And I did not say you had gone to other employees and asked them anything…I saw where another member advised you to do that and frankly it’s very bad advice because it’s none of your business, it would get back to your supervisor, and it would just create more drama and trouble.

• Author
OneLife2Live
Wow. I can easily see that you are overly sensitive about even the mildest suggestion or (heaven forbid) criticism. Your supervisor did NOT give you a verbal warning. Period. And I did not say you had gone to other employees and asked them anything…I saw where another member advised you to do that and frankly it’s very bad advice because it’s none of your business, it would get back to your supervisor, and it would just create more drama and trouble.

LOL!

Think someone else is being overly sensitive.

LOL!

Well, if this is true:

"My Supervisor told me she knows I am not doing this"

why is it even an issue? It definitely sounds like one of those things they throw in at the end of a review, just so they can say they gave some bit of negative feedback.

You were NOT given a verbal warning. It was a comment about something that needs to be improved.

LOL!

Yeah, okay....whatever you need to tell yourself to feel better. "LOL" back @cha!

Edited by applej4
  • Author
OneLife2Live
Well, if this is true:

"My Supervisor told me she knows I am not doing this"

why is it even an issue? It definitely sounds like one of those things they throw in at the end of a review, just so they can say they gave some bit of negative feedback.

My supervisor and I work in the same office. She knows the clients that I work with, and she knows my clients are needy and text me a lot.

The manager works in a different office. She doesn't know my clients. She doesn't know their needs. She just sees the cell bill with the number of texting. Since I am so high on my numbers, she asked why I'm having so many. If she knew that my clients text me a lot, she wouldn't question it.

• Author
OneLife2Live
You were NOT given a verbal warning. It was a comment about something that needs to be improved.

Yeah, okay....whatever you need to tell yourself to feel better. "LOL" back @cha!

You have made yourself clear on the "you were NOT given a verbal warning" comment. You have said it two or three times already.

• Author
OneLife2Live
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I seriously doubt it. :rolleyes:

LMAO! Think someone is a little butthurt. It took ya this long to comment on that quote? Did I piss ya off and ya had to go through my thread to find something to make a dig at me? Good choice!

LMAO! Think someone is a little butthurt. It took ya this long to comment on that quote? Did I piss ya off and ya had to go through my thread to find something to make a dig at me? Good choice!

Uh, yeah, okay. Anyway, glad you're feeling better! Keep smiling. :rolleyes::D

Edited by applej4
acrosstheuniverse

I don't quite think they accused you of something you didn't do OP but I can see why the insinuation hurt. I bet it's like others have mentioned, perhaps someone way further up brought it up and asked your manager to talk to you about it just to tick a box and bring it to your awareness. A similar thing happened to me at work, my supervisor told me that our manager had made an insinuation that I was referring too many patients to a specific department (I assess and treat clinically in my role but frequently have to refer patients to a different department when I can't treat them). I knew that I only ever refer appropriate patients and didn't think it was fair for them to try and pressure me into making less referrals if they're all appropriate as it's really a service management issue, not my problem and I'm not going to stop sending people to the right place if it's right for them.

The way I handled it was I emailed the manager who'd said it simply stating we need more of these workers in my area to refer to, that's the issue not me referring people on. And I said if my referrals aren't appropriate then please tell me so I can change that or educate myself, but if they are I'm going to keep referring that volume and don't want a situation where I feel pressured into not doing so when it's the best for the patient. My manager actually replied and said yes you're right, keep doing what you're doing and I agree that it's more of a resource issue than anything you can help. I don't know how your hierarchy works though or how approachable management are. But if I really couldn't let it go I would consider asking them to take a look at your phone records and if they think the content isn't appropriate to please let you know.