Unprofessional Place

My mom kept bugging me about this job that was right up my alley. It is basically a call center. We do surveys present by the client. The job is very convenient. You can take leaves off, miss any days you want; their thing is, if you don't come you don't get paid. Only thing is that you gotta call in if you are not coming; 2 no-calls and you get canned.

Depending on your production (or completes you get) you can make $9-13 an hr.

First of, you walk into the office center and you instantly feel the unprofessionalism. One thing that cracks me up is they say that we are not allowed to eat at our desks--they would trip over a damn candy bar.

But the supervisors get to order Pizza Hut and eat the **** right at their desk.

Everything is fine until they started hovering over me. Primarily because I am new. But it is still no excuse for how the supervisors treat employees. I get scolded for inconsistent dialing. Some jobs you dial manually and some you don't. They keep putting me on this dumb survey that takes 40 mins to complete and the intro is a turn off: we can't even disclose to the person what the survey is even about. So they hang up or not interested. This job rarely gets a complete so they stick folks on there that did good in previous jobs to dumb down their production.

They bitched at me for having my dials a minute a part. They want me to be like a robot and dial every 10 secs if I could. I'm not doing that ****. There's other people in that office that literally stands around and have conversations with the supervisors and they do NOTHING!

I cannot stand that favortism. Because if you tripping on me for dialing minute apart, and speaking 5 sentences to my neighbor, then you should enforce that rule everywhere. But nope. That's too fair for life.

When I complete a call, none of them ungrateful bastards come and congratulate me on it. But if I do one thing wrong, it is time to criticize. I only took this job because it is very flexible and I need money to fix my car. But I haven't gotten paid yet--so maybe I'll feel differently, but I am close to bouncing out. Things wouldn't be a problem if they left me the hell alone.

You can't even vouch for earlier hours either. Lol

You have to earn them. Other than that, the only times you can start a shift is 4pm and 5pm.

But this is my first couple weeks on the job. They let you know where you are on the pay matrix when you get paid or if you ask. If I am get paid some stupid **** like $9 or $10 I am leaving. Because they set people up for failure. No way will they pay all those people $13 an hour. Somehow, someway they'll make it not happen.

UpwardForward
There are better jobs out there. People hang up on you guys all the time!

Yes. And in this day and age with caller i.d.s you're kind of dead in the water if people are screening their calls.

Hint: Be ready to speak as soon as the person answers their phone. Otherwise with the delay, they know you're a solicitor.

• Like 2
  • Author

I try to sound as professional as possible some just still hang up. I told them, at the end of the day if a person doesn't want to take the survey its nothing we can do.

I worked for a company just like that. 2 calls and you're fired? I hope that's only for your probation period. It sounds like your company micromanages quite a bit. The place I worked for was weird about me eating at my desk or using the printer. And you get paid next to nothing...so I would freshen up that resume. I'm not sure why you didn't inquire about the pay until after you accepted the job though.

• Author

They inform you about the pay in your first orientation. It's a matrix. Based on attendance and performance. The message I got was, hey, you work hard you can get that $13/hr.

But then once I seen how they were placing the jobs, I knew it was a system set up. I was on a couple good surveys but then they put me on near impossible ones. They do it to dumb down your pay.

Like for example: I was on the SoCal survey it is based on health care. Most of the completes I got were from white people. I'm pretty sure that is the case with everyone. You'd get "some" Latinos but most of them don't speak English.

Now since people were getting completes guess what they did?

The made the survey qualifications only to Latinos now. Which means your production will go down because 8/10 the Latino you reacj doesn't (or claims they doesn't) speak English.

At first it may all look like a conspiracy but I believe they really have ways to not have everyone in there make ,that $13/hr.

I worked for a company just like that. 2 calls and you're fired? I hope that's only for your probation period. It sounds like your company micromanages quite a bit. The place I worked for was weird about me eating at my desk or using the printer. And you get paid next to nothing...so I would freshen up that resume. I'm not sure why you didn't inquire about the pay until after you accepted the job though.

The OP wrote:

Only thing is that you gotta call in if you are not coming; 2 no-calls and you get canned.
Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

Sorry, it's life. At an entry level like that if you don't like it quit and find something else. Call centers are high turnover and employee morale is not a major concern.

• Like 3

Wonderkid, always do what you enjoy. If you have any hobbies, find a job related to that, even if it pays less. You will be building a resume that will one day lead to your dream job.

• Like 2
They inform you about the pay in your first orientation. It's a matrix. Based on attendance and performance. The message I got was, hey, you work hard you can get that $13/hr.

But then once I seen how they were placing the jobs, I knew it was a system set up. I was on a couple good surveys but then they put me on near impossible ones. They do it to dumb down your pay.

Like for example: I was on the SoCal survey it is based on health care. Most of the completes I got were from white people. I'm pretty sure that is the case with everyone. You'd get "some" Latinos but most of them don't speak English.

Now since people were getting completes guess what they did?

The made the survey qualifications only to Latinos now. Which means your production will go down because 8/10 the Latino you reacj doesn't (or claims they doesn't) speak English.

At first it may all look like a conspiracy but I believe they really have ways to not have everyone in there make ,that $13/hr.

Meh, yeah I only accept positions that give me my exact pay rate in writing and if there are any bonuses or incentives, that would need to be in writing as well, so there is no guesswork. Suck it up for now and look elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Author

Hey you guys are right man I just gotta find something better. It's a lesson learned because I knew nothing of this but I know now! And I will suck it up until I find something great through the winter.

• Like 1
Hey you guys are right man I just gotta find something better. It's a lesson learned because I knew nothing of this but I know now! And I will suck it up until I find something great through the winter.

Good luck! Be sure to get your next offer in writing before accepting a position and it definitely doesn't hurt to research the company. :)

Remember recruiting/interviewing is like dating. You are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you. Don't just jump in to the next "warm bed" because it is there. Make sure it's a good fit, you have a good understanding of position, pay, culture, expectations, etc. before you commit. ;)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

So an update, I left the job a while ago--I'd say like 3 days after my last reply on this thread.

I thought everything was going well. I had the automatic dialer this time and my dials were nothing short of 20 secs a part. I was drawing too in my spare seconds. It was about until around 8:30PM the short blonde chick called me in the office, again.

She capitalized on all the negatives I did but rarely the positives. Like, I got up to sharpen a damn pencil and she was on my case about that, but then, never commented about the calls I did complete. And what pissed me off is when she made it seem like the company would fail because of me. She also dodged my question.

"What if my dials per hour were over the average but I get no calls, will I still be penalized for that? Because I will get a 1 for the entire day regardless."

She says, "Well that is just a what if. We cannot base it off of that because you have not been dialing. And you'd never know if you can get a call if you don't dial. Even though we know some surveys are tougher."

I said, you did not answer the question I asked. And when she explained stuff I just waived her off with my hand like it was nothing.

When I went back out I lightly expressed my anger and they overheard it on the phone. So when I went to pick up my first check, I went into the office and the manager said that many of the supervisors all sided with I was not dialing and some profanity was used when I lost my cool.

I said, yes of course it was. You don't know what goes on out there. But it's fine by me.

They acted like I was going to beg for the job back. When he said, "Maybe when you are drawing, and those seconds of not dialing can effect others because they are 'constantly' dialing when you are not--so they are making up for you."

I'm like, WTF ever. There's a large tall fat guy with a hunched-back who gets up every 30-40mins and talks to the guy supervisors about football! How many breaks does he get? He's not dialing unless he's Mr. Manhattan I suppose.

But I didn't put up a fight after he said that BS. I just got up, shook his and, grabbed my check and never looked back.

I just got accepted to a different job now. Working nights instead of during prime time.

This job has me moving around more. I had no business being at that last job. One fun plus though, I did talk to John Wall of the Wizards when I was there. Lol