So stressful...always have to ask people for things

Reference........my references must be tired of all these calls

one is not responding to me today when I ask him if it's all right for a recruiter to ask him questionnaire. I gave him the job description when he was my supervisor. I stretch the title and length a bit though...no sure if that's the reason.

:( so sicken tire of the stress...

Breathe.

I'm not sure what you are sick & tired of but searching for a job is stressful. You do have to be patient. It's not going to happen over night.

Is there something specific that you seem to be missing? Perhaps, speak to your reference and ask if he wants / needs a phone conversation every time you give out his contact info. For many people, they simply want a heads up that you are looking for a job so then they know to respond favorably if they are called.

• Like 1
  • Author
I am confused on what the problem is? What are you tired of asking people about?

if you are someone's reference, would you like to be bombarded by all these recruiters for references? sometimes, multiple recruiters ask the same 9 questionnaire and ask you to sign the form for the same bid? and would you give reference if I stretch the title and length of my employment a bit?

it's sick how things work here...

he gave glowing reference that was how I got my last job. He is not responding to my email now, probably not willing to do the stretching with me for this particular bid and got tired of doing reference with me in general as well.

if you are someone's reference, would you like to be bombarded by all these recruiters for references? sometimes, multiple recruiters ask the same 9 questionnaire and ask you to sign the form for the same bid? and would you give reference if I stretch the title and length of my employment a bit?

it's sick how things work here...

he gave glowing reference that was how I got my last job. He is not responding to my email now, probably not willing to do the stretching with me for this particular bid and got tired of doing reference with me in general as well.

Okay, I am well familiar with references so he can give as detailed or not as he wants. So he can limit how much time he is spending talking to recruiters.

But if you are asking him to lie/stretch well he may actually be offended by that. I am still confused by why you are unhappy with him; he is doing you a favor so not obligated to do so.

And what is sick with how things work????

• Author
Okay, I am well familiar with references so he can give as detailed or not as he wants. So he can limit how much time he is spending talking to recruiters.

But if you are asking him to lie/stretch well he may actually be offended by that. I am still confused by why you are unhappy with him; he is doing you a favor so not obligated to do so.

And what is sick with how things work????

oh, no no I am not unhappy with him. He is doing me a favor as my reference already.

I don't know if I ask him to lie...that's the problem. so I don't know....

I am just sick of the recruitment and bidding system work. not him.

I will just leave it if he is not responding...

• Author

some recruiting firms ask for reference without even have a job prospect...can't imagine how many people he has answered...that's what I meant by sick.

He knew what he was getting into when he agreed to be a reference.

Stop stressing on his behalf & stop making it worse by you peppering him with more e-mails & calls.

When you get a job do something concrete to say thank you & leave it at that.

some recruiting firms ask for reference without even have a job prospect...can't imagine how many people he has answered...that's what I meant by sick.

So question them on that practice. Have you used a specific recruiter in the past? Go back to them, since there is a history, and have them source positions for you.

• Author
So question them on that practice. Have you used a specific recruiter in the past? Go back to them, since there is a history, and have them source positions for you.

I questioned one recruiter about that and she was adamant and said that is the firm's policy.......that was many months ago, and never heard from her since about anything.

This latest one is gov. bid, and has to filled out questionnaire and signed by reference, hence my nighmare...I don't even get to question that. All the recruiters have to follow. talk about bids is also insane...I was submitted to a few many months ago, and no bid has a winner yet. and many many recruiting firms going after 1 bid, imagine how much works went into those bid.

there are more crazy things than I have the time to type. I feel life is like a circus...

I totally lost count how many recruiters I have been working with...

Edited by loveflower
I questioned one recruiter about that and she was adamant and said that is the firm's policy.......that was many months ago, and never heard from her since about anything.

This latest one is gov. bid, and has to filled out questionnaire and signed by reference, hence my nighmare...I don't even get to question that. All the recruiters have to follow. talk about bids is also insane...I was submitted to a few many months ago, and no bid has a winner yet. and many many recruiting firms going after 1 bid, imagine how much works went into those bid.

there are more crazy things than I have the time to type. I feel life is like a circus...

I totally lost count how many recruiters I have been working with...

I am confused on your use of "bid". That is not my understanding/experience with how outside recruiting works. Can you walk through the process? My experience a job requisition is released from a company to outside recruiters (usually already set up contracts/partnership). They are told job description, pay, desires, etc. Outside/external recruiting firms start working on the job req and funneling over resumes to the HR department and/or hiring manager for review. The company reps review, give their feedback and either move the candidate to the next step or tell them not interested. A company may be running an internal search as well.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Author

I reference just emailed me back. he was on vacation. he is such a nice person.

I thought too much. I was in a panic mold.

• Author
I am confused on your use of "bid". That is not my understanding/experience with how outside recruiting works. Can you walk through the process? My experience a job requisition is released from a company to outside recruiters (usually already set up contracts/partnership). They are told job description, pay, desires, etc. Outside/external recruiting firms start working on the job req and funneling over resumes to the HR department and/or hiring manager for review. The company reps review, give their feedback and either move the candidate to the next step or tell them not interested. A company may be running an internal search as well.

Thanks.

bid is a gov process of recruiting contractor

bid is a gov process of recruiting contractor

I am familiar with US based government contracting work and have never heard the term "bid" used in recruiting. For contracts, yes, for an employee through a staffing firm, no.

• Author
I am familiar with US based government contracting work and have never heard the term "bid" used in recruiting. For contracts, yes, for an employee through a staffing firm, no.

agencies have to bid on those contracts with proposed resources(contractors)

oh, great, my reference sent back the form to the recruiter, without the signature. now I have to ask for his sig after already thanking him. should I go to his office to get his sig or I ask him to sign and fax back( I don't have a fax and now this agency decided to go with other person who it consider will score better, but I have another agent who needs the same thing for the same bid).......urggh.........so much trouble!!!

it's like a loop.........I jump through hoops...

Edited by loveflower
  • 2 weeks later...

I usually don't provide a referenceuntil I get a job interview. I'd just give him my references number.

I'd advise against stretching the title of your previous job or length of employment. Could result in not being offered the job or fired after receiving the position.