SixthSt.Girl

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this thread, but I guess the moderator can move it if he/she wants...

I graduated a little over a year ago with a general business communication degree. My concentration is in business management. I decided about midway through college that I'd like to be a retail manager. I was more of a people person at that time than I am now. I had a job in retail at the time, not really a salesperson job, more like a stocker. I took my first job as a salesperson shortly after graduation just to get more experience and see what selling and the retail world is really about. In short, I don't like it. I like working with jewelry, but not the people. I've had people call me rude for no reason, I get treated badly when I try to be nice - I greeted this lady when she came in the store and asked if there was anything she was looking for, and she says "No, I just got here, so I'm just looking right now" in a snotty voice. That is an example of what I put up with - it's mostly women, bitchy women. The men are actually very nice. Anyway, I'm not into the idea of a desk job, but I've had a couple years experience in college doing administrative work as an intern for the state. I've been looking at secretarial jobs. I took a career test and secretarial work rated very high, while sales and retail did not. I know secretarial jobs require people contact, but at least you are not at the mercy of some bitchy woman customer with no holiday spirit. I've been trying to transition my resume so I can apply for secretarial jobs, but it doesn't sound right.

This is the objective of my usual resume: I am seeking a retail management position with a reputable business. I graduated from Ohio University in November 2003 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Communication. My core concentration is Business Management. I’ve had work experience and course work in retail, which has sparked my interest in this field. I’m seeking an assistant manager or management trainee position.

I want to re-work it and add something in there about my computer skills: I can do MS Office, Quickbooks, Pagemaker, and a couple other programs. My typing skills are not too good, but I'm working on those! I don't want to sound overqualified - I want to downplay my degree. I actually applied for a couple secretarial jobs right after college, and basically was questioned as to why I'd want to take a job like that. I want to be honest and say yes, I've tried sales and interviewed for management jobs, but it didn't work out because it's not for me, and I'm just now realizing that... If anyone has any suggestions for quick changes on the objective part, please step in. I've tried Monster and a couple other resume sites, but I don't want something very complex - I want it to be basic and sincere. TIA for your help.

I'm in sales and it sucks you have to keep getting rejected and deal with it, if you are not the type of person to handle that you shouldn't be in sales and I would simply state that on your interview. another way to say it is you can't survive on commission based jobs and your would rather work hourly, It's understandable. I thing a majority of interviewers will agree with your conclusion.

Why don't you make an additional list of the computer software you know, That is one of the 1st questions I ask when I interview anyone. The knowledge of accounting software is always good for Admin. Jobs. I think you will do just fine.

• Author
SixthSt.Girl

Thanks - I think I'll be able to explain it better in person than on a resume, so I hope they will give me a chance despite the resume. :) I just have to rough one out, I guess - the tough part is explaining my concentration in management and the eight months of retail work after college.

If you are half as intelligent as you seem in your posts, you will have no problems securing a decent job and moving up that career ladder. The key, as you said, is getting your foot in the door!

I wouldn't stress too much about this, though - I don't know anyone who really knew what they wanted to do after college, so employers expect you to have experimented in different fields. It's not like you have to explain a year that you spent on the dole or in jail! You just tried something different and now have more of an idea of where you want to work. This is a good thing.

The best thing to do in interviews is be honest. You don't have anything to hide - simply explain that you tried retail, it wasn't for you because of x and x, and this is why you think a secretarial position WOULD be a better suit for you.

Good luck, let us know how you go!