Christian Co-Workers....They ANNOY me.

24 year old dude here.

I don't drink, no drugs, Good to my mother, good to my

Girlfriend. I Volunteer for a few charities etc etc.

My prob is: I work at a Furniture shipping outlet, Good job,

Good pay. Been here 2 years now.

It's Christian family-owned. I'm not a christian, but went to sunday school as a kid,

know the stories, just don't follow any book, religion.

They had hired me cuz they liked me, i was nice, had the experience,

and I took the job, even though they are Very Judgemental towards

non-believers. They make comments about issues, people regarding

their beliefs and how Christian is "The Way To Go". They've never

really bugged me too much, but my boss has told me a few t-shirts,

i've worn were unappropriate ( Frankenstein t-shirt, Led Zeppelin t-shirt)

He Always Always checking out My shirts asking what every one means,

and will show his disgust or just shake his head and walk away. I wore

a Sugarcult(a Rock/Pop band) shirt once that just said Sugarcult and he said

it was offensive because the word Cult is devilish, witches etc.

I wanna say something to they're judgemental, ignorant comments,

but I don't want to be rude. I respect they're beliefs and have for 2 years,

I mean, I respect Christianity, it's just Not for me.

It's really start to get to me. If there is a problem at the company, they always

say "it's in God's hands" and do nothing about it. The lady upstairs in the Purchasing Dept is having

trouble with her Daughter who is dating a Non-Believer and she complains all

day about it. She told me that "i better marry a christian and raise my kids

in the church" so that they stay out of trouble. How much good has it done her

with her Daughter?

Anyway, I'm thinking about leaving, finding another job, But I am really at the end of my rope

and ready to say something mean, if I get another comment.

anyone else run into this sort of thing???

Just bite your tounge, do not say anything mean.

just give them your notice and if they ask why you are leaving tell them an angel came to you in your sleep and requested your assistance for recreating the next messiah.

haha...kidding. you do not need to give a reason or tell them what you think of the way they run their business..... yoy were employeed for your exoerience, not your opinion.

If your boss says that your clothes are innappropriate, then that's that. Many places have strict dress codes. It sounds to me that your place of employment has a laxed agreement. I say don't abuse it. It also sounds like that's the only thing really bothering you. Leave it alone and respect the boss' judgement on what he chooses his patrons to see.

As far as other employees there making comments and suggestions, all you really have to say, ( and I suggest you do this ), "You've been a witness to me and I know you're sharing the seed, you've done that, watch and see if it grows." Then ask if they'd not talk about your lifestyle and going to Church, and allow you to be you.

It's a shame that a lot of Christians bear such self righteous, "Do as I say, not what I've shown", type mentality. It happens, but better safe for you to self examine yourself and see if it's time for you to join the flock, then to jump in for sake of a paycheck.

IF, you decide it's still not for you, ask your employer, and your peers, to accept that even unbelievers are children of God and are here for His purpose as well.......whether for good or for bad.

Originally posted by lagerdrink

my boss has told me a few t-shirts, i've worn were unappropriate (...Led Zeppelin t-shirt)

:eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::confused::sick::sick::sick: !!!!!!!!

Which one?! Which one is inappropriate?

Since it's a family-owned small business, there's not much you can do. I would not complain or bring it up to other co-workers because word gets around so easily in a store like your's and it's such a personal environment that things could get bad for you quickly. My store's owner and his family are very religious (at least he says that) - we carry so much cross jewelry that I feel like I'm in church. His wife and his brother especially love to discuss the Bible and preach to us at work. It's annoying at times and it makes me a little uncomfortable. My boss is actually a pretty sleazy person, so it's almost funny when he talks about God. You just have to listen and act like you care, and eventually they'll switch topics. If it's something that's really a bother to you, then consider leaving, but if you're happy there otherwise, I'd just suck it up. Finding a good job right now is very difficult esp. when you're young w/o much experience - trust me, I'm right there with ya. Good luck. :)

kellydontwanttasleep

Christian families are funny in there own little David Koresh and Jim Jones way :D just don't drink the Koolaid ;)

I have them at my job and other places, I usually just ignore them. I always feel bad for those people who feel anyone who is not like them aren't good or worthwhile. Because they miss out on a lot of great people in their world that could have been their friend and enriched their minds.

It's a private business and he can run it as he sees fit. If he wants to tell you to wear a purple tutu to work every morning, he has that right. You knew the score going in, but you chose to take the job anyway. If you don't like it, you can quit; however, I wouldn't burn my bridges with the family. If you're going to quit, being polite is the way to go.

Although I am not from the Bible Belt, many of my family members are, and what you are describing to me is truly not that bad given other stories I've heard.

In fact, I don't think anything you've talked about is really unique to them being Christians but could be applied to any small, family-owned business where you are automatically the "outsider."

Basically, your only complaint is that you can't wear certain rock t-shirts. I have to wear a suit everyday so I would love to just have a job wear I could wear jeans! That kind of dress code could go at ANY establishment (Christian or not). They have a right to tell you certain t-shirts are not appropriate and you need to respect that.

But again, I think the real issue is that this is a small place and you are seeing how this family operates from the inside and what's important to them. Can you just blow off the lady upstairs? I mean, outside of her frustration with her daughter and her one comment to you, do they push their beliefs down your throat all the time? It doesn't sound like they do.

Before looking for another job, remember sometimes it is better to stick with "the Devil you know" (no pun intended) then to go someplace else. Consider the usual business things like pay, hours, flexibility, etc. before making the move. You'll have to deal with this kind of BS at almost any shop, and compared to some places I've worked, I would rather deal with a bunch of self-righteous Christians than a bunch of selfish backstabbing heathens!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Urban Rubble01
If there is a problem at the company, they always

say "it's in God's hands" and do nothing about it.

HAHAHA. And people wonder why Marx called it the "Opiate of the Masses" ? "Honey our store is burning down and a man is stealing your purse" "It's O.K Bob, it's all God's plan".

Remember, religious discrimination applies to religious people discriminating again non believers as well. Don't take any **** from these people.

Remember, religious discrimination applies to religious people discriminating again non believers as well. Don't take any **** from these people.

I happen to be one of, "these people", and if I feel that a rock t-shirt may offend my paying customers, you're not going to wear it......or you can clock out and go home. It has nothing to do with religous preference, it has everything to do with keeping my clients comfortable in my shop. The line between religious discrimination and plain offending customers isn't a thin one. You'd be laughed out of court.

if I feel that a rock t-shirt may offend my paying customers

Moose, take a look at the Led Zeppelin shirts available--is anything even remotely offensive to you?

I'm asking you as a business owner, not a religious person,

Moose, take a look at the Led Zeppelin shirts available--is anything even remotely offensive to you?

I'm asking you as a business owner, not a religious person,

No I personally don't see anything wrong with any Led Zep shirts, I think they're an awesome group. But it's not me that I'm worried about offending, from a business owners POV......

I;m just wondering, of the Zeppelin shirts available, which would likely offend customers?

I'm not that up on the shirts, haven't seen many of them. This one for instance:

LZ II T-shirt

Looks like a rough group of men. Some might take offense to the person who wears this shirt, considering them rough as well. Just my point of view. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, but others might.

I work for a corporation that has me on TV sometimes unexpectedly, along with stage crew and other people. I can't say which TV network.

But I will tell you we are not allowed to wear apparel with words or ads for anything. Alcohol, religion, cigerettes, rock n' roll, body piercings, etc are all off limits. You may offend or turn away customers someone inadvertadently. My company has 7,000 people with no association among any particular groups. I agree, some companies, particularly those selling services or products to clientele should go generic. People can dress up in leather and purple hair with a safety pin in their lip if they want, just not on company time. Unless your an artist or not meeting with potential customers you have to be cautious of the image you put out.

Lagerdrink, if your boss feels that customers could be offended by bands, I'd like to think he would make the band t-shirts an across the board rule--no Zeppelin shirts, nobody wearing Amy Grant or Osmond shirts either. It's silly, but it's his business. I've seen some pretty offensive band shirts, LZ's are nothing compared to them.

As far as the comments and opinions made by others, ignore them. It doesn't sound like anyone is actively trying to convert you to their religion. Don't be sarcastic or rude--go home and vent. If the behavior is bothering you that much, start looking around for other jobs and leave your current one on good terms with your boss.

Originally posted by dyermaker

They're World War II fighter pilots.

You know that, and I know that.....doesn't mean everyone knows that.

I;m just wondering, of the Zeppelin shirts available, which would likely offend customers?

A shirt that has the cover of Led Zeppelin I is offensive. Showing the disaster of the Hindenburg is very insensitive. I mean what if there was a new band called the Led Towers and their shirts showed the Twin towers falling down.

:eek::mad::confused::rolleyes::):D:p

Just kidding.

Actually the zepplin can been deemed as a phalic symbol which is very offensive and inappropriate for young children to see. :rolleyes::rolleyes::laugh:

Talk about one extreme but in this heavy PC age it's ridiculous how easily offended people get.

They're World War II fighter pilots.

I always thought they were WWI pilots with the bands faces superimposed or cropped in with them in uniform.

with the bands faces superimposed or cropped in with them in uniform.

from the ifmtl:

The group of men on the front cover is a photgraph of the Jasta

Division of the German airforce with the band members faces

inserted in place of those of the pilots. The faces of band

manager Peter Grant and Richard Cole were also added. The woman

in the picture is Glynis Johns, the mother from "Mary Poppins".

Her presence in the photo is an obvious play on the name of

recording engineer Glyn Johns. The other face added was that of

bluesman Blind Willie Johnson.

from the ifmtl:

The group of men on the front cover is a photgraph of the Jasta

Division of the German airforce with the band members faces

inserted in place of those of the pilots. The faces of band

manager Peter Grant and Richard Cole were also added. The woman

in the picture is Glynis Johns, the mother from "Mary Poppins".

Her presence in the photo is an obvious play on the name of

recording engineer Glyn Johns. The other face added was that of

bluesman Blind Willie Johnson.

Ah, thought so. and the Jasta division was the Red Barons in WWI. :)