Possible to ask for a pay raise?

I have been on this contractual job since last year and is extended to the end of this year. My manager told me that he would fight for a permanent position for me by the end of the year and also have set work objectives even though these objectives are not recognized by HR.

In terms of my performance, breath and depth wise, I think I have expanded my work tasks coverage larger than some of the permanent staff who had joined way earlier than me. Even some colleagues from other team have recognized my effort, as our teams communicate frequently to discuss the current affairs.

I have been yearning for a permanent position and pay raise for a long time, and I am thinking to discuss with my manager by end of the year about this.

My close friend, who is currently at managerial level, said that pay raise is unjustifiable for me, since I was able to expand the coverage of the business without getting one. But I have placed in so much effort that I really want and not just hope for an increment. My friend suggested "threaten to leave" technique, I don't think this is a sound plan as it may backfire or hurt my reputation.

How do you think I should approach this in a tactical manner?

Clarence_Boddicker

Depends on the culture of your employer. Some view asking for a raise as a sign of a bad attitude.

IMO if you are working as a contractor then you don't have security of tenure right now, so I wouldn't make waves at the moment.

Make sure your CV is up to date and make sure you list all the ways in which you increased the performance of the business. Then start looking for another position elsewhere.

Set yourself a time limit for getting a permanent position, then be ready to move on if it doesn't materialise.

I would never play games and issue threats about leaving it could get you the reputation of being "difficult" to work with.

Good luck.

Edited by Arieswoman
  • Like 3
  • Author

And I'll need to triple up my performance so I will likely be considered for a pay raise?

I was pretty much told by my boss early on that I would never earn any sort of "career wage" at this job even though I do a lot working for corporate and horrendously underpaid for the responsibilities I have. I wanted to stick it out longer as I was promised full time with a promotion that all fell through. I enjoy the job, but I need a better paying job that is full time with benefits so my husband and I can buy another car and a home. Not going to happen with this job unfortunately. You might just need to keep that resume polished.

• Like 1
  • Author
I was pretty much told by my boss early on that I would never earn any sort of "career wage" at this job even though I do a lot working for corporate and horrendously underpaid for the responsibilities I have. I wanted to stick it out longer as I was promised full time with a promotion that all fell through. I enjoy the job, but I need a better paying job that is full time with benefits so my husband and I can buy another car and a home. Not going to happen with this job unfortunately. You might just need to keep that resume polished.

How long have you been on this job, if I may ask?

How long have you been on this job, if I may ask?

This one? Nearly a year. I didn't mind so much at the beginning, because it was going to be a second job, however the other one ended about a month later and I stuck around as I was promised full time and it never happened. I'm done with the multiple job gigs. I am done with school and have 4 years experience, I need to find a full time job to be my main focus since I have been told by recruiters that I am highly marketable. I want something that is going to be long lasting and build my career.

• Like 1

How much of a pay rise are you thinking of exactly?

Going permanent (if that transpires) creates additional cost to your employer as it is.

You could try asking for a probationary increase dependent upon upcoming objectives if you get the offer of a permanent role.

Trying to go all out for a big pay rise would be a very bad move right now though.

Threatening to leave would simply be shooting yourself in the foot. Everyone is replaceable.

I've found that you need to discuss how often evaluations are with the company at hiring and just ask them how frequently they usually give raises, assuming one is doing his or her job. Not all companies look at it every 6 months or every year. Sometimes what they hire you out is what they intend to pay and they just let turnover happen.

I know as a manager, I found it very annoying when one young lady started complaining about needing a raise almost as soon as she was hired. She had in no way merited it. I'd told her when she was hired that evaluations for raises were yearly. This was in the early days of email when whoever set up the email was able to see everyone's emails in the office. She was spending a lot of her time talking to one of the regional director's employees she'd met on a trip instead of doing her job. And she finally shot herself in the foot by popping off and telling me that if the regional director could make X amount of money (she'd been told by his employee), he could surely afford to pay her more. It had taken me 20 years to get up to the amount she felt she was due, and I told her that, and then told the regional director his guy had been talking to her and this was the outcome, and she was fired.

So all I'm saying is the time to ask questions and make demands is right up front at hiring. I'm not saying there aren't circumstances when it's appropriate, of course, like expanded duties, but generally if they wanted to raise you for that, they'd have already done it. But it's certainly a legitimate reason to ask, as long as taking on additional duties wasn't part of your hiring deal.

You're contract, so a contract is a contract. You can either refuse the extra and stick to the contract or offer to do the extra for an additional amount. Since you want a permanent position and have already had that discussion, then tell him since that conversation a few things have come to mind that you wish you'd discussed at that time and ask if he has a moment to discuss them. At the time you are having the discussing wherein he tells you he is making you a permanent employee, that is really the ideal time to raise the subject of a raise, rather than before, when he might just decide not to keep you on because of it. If he offers you the permanent position, then you can justifiably say, "And what salary did you have in mind for me?"

• Author

Thank you all. After reading so many comments I have decided to put aside first, at least until when year end review comes around.

As for the increment, honestly,I was thinking of around 5-7% increment but I guess it would be better not to bring up any figures and let the manager gift whatever he is able to? What do you think?

But I really want a pay rise.

So does virtually everyone who is working everywhere! You said you are on a contract. Essentiially until the contract ends both sides are bound by the four corners (the terms) of that contract. If you are doing a great job, that is wonderful. Your supervisor might be able to get you hired, but it's not a guarantee. You should continue to do a good job, but look for other opportunities. When the time for the end of the contract nears, ask your supervisor for an update as far as your STATUS - are your going to be hired permanently or not? Remember as a permanent employee you will get benefits. Close to end of contract is the time to bring up a raise if supervisor doesn't talk about it. (I think 5 - 7% is a bit high, although I don't know what type of work you do.) I hope things work out the way you want, but you need to be prepared they might not. Look around. And don't threaten to quit or make demands - you will find yourself unemployed because no one is irreplaceable.

Edited by applej4
I have been on this contractual job since last year and is extended to the end of this year. My manager told me that he would fight for a permanent position for me by the end of the year and also have set work objectives even though these objectives are not recognized by HR.

In terms of my performance, breath and depth wise, I think I have expanded my work tasks coverage larger than some of the permanent staff who had joined way earlier than me. Even some colleagues from other team have recognized my effort, as our teams communicate frequently to discuss the current affairs.

I have been yearning for a permanent position and pay raise for a long time, and I am thinking to discuss with my manager by end of the year about this.

My close friend, who is currently at managerial level, said that pay raise is unjustifiable for me, since I was able to expand the coverage of the business without getting one. But I have placed in so much effort that I really want and not just hope for an increment. My friend suggested "threaten to leave" technique, I don't think this is a sound plan as it may backfire or hurt my reputation.

You should never threaten to leave unless you have a contingency plan.

Here's how we do things at the company I own. I would assume most managers make a compensation decision based on the same principal even if they don't consciously do it...

If someone wants a compensation bump, specifically a significant one, we sit down and ask ourselves, "are they part of the why". If they are part of the 'why', then it's a no-brainer. 'Why' people get whatever they want, because you can't replace them. It's the 'what' people that are doomed to stay at the same pay until the COMPANY does better overall.

So ask yourself, how am I/can I be a 'why' person. If you do something no one else can easily do or you control a piece of the company that is either hard to train/replace, then why fear asking?

I will say this...I don't give out raises unless someone asks or unless it's company-wide. It's not that I don't care, it's just I WANT people to value themselves enough to ask. If you don't believe you've earned it, why should I?

What's the worst that can happen? They say no? It would be obscene if someone got fired for requesting more money. Then again there are some illogical people in the world.

• Author

Apologies for the late follow-up. I'll probably aim for a permanent role conversion first before I ask for more. I think that would be a safer strategy.

Then again, how do you define a high performing staff who deserves a pay rise? Some said independence, error-free work, increased work coverage. What else am I missing?

The best way is to prove your value to the company. Not in the amount of hours you've worked or time with the company but the dollar value you bring to the company. Make a cover letter, a spreadsheet, and some summary bullet points. Demonstrate your value, relative to others doing your work. That's really the most convincing way to do it.

Other than that, the best way to get a raise is to go to a company that will pay you more. Do your homework there, too.

You should never threaten to leave unless you have a contingency plan.

Agreed.

There's really no need to tell people what you're gonna do. Just do it.

Present your contributions to the company as a firm, and formal, sign of your commitment. Be specific. Don't make any mention of salary.

Then, listen. Their response will tell you everything you need to know.

If what you present doesn't match up to them valuing your contributions in a way you find equitable, don't say anything. Simply take your metrics to the highest bidder and bid this one farewell, without fanfare.

Or, as myself and many of my colleagues have done over the decades, open your own shop and become a competitor.