reasons for moving on to an employer

Is it tacky to say you're looking for higher compensation when an employer asks why you're leaving your current job? For me, I usually say I looking for full time and higher compensation. When a recruiter asked me yesterday how much I currently make, he actually said he thought I would be making more for all the duties I perform. I am actually well aware of that and thus started my search since my company only pays operations decent wages. I'm tired of being criminally underpaid and know I am worth far more.

I try to avoid saying it explicitly mainly because you don't really know people that well and you never know how they're going to interpret those messages. The truth is, we're all about the money to some degree, but an employer doesn't want to see it that way. Employers want people to do their work and they want people who are selfless. In some ways, the whole process is disingenuous, but it is what it is.

I would just tell people that you're looking for career advancement and new opportunities and leave it at that. I think people can read between the lines.

• Like 1

I said it before, and I'd say it again if I was looking to move on.

"I'm looking for compensation that's commensurate with my workload and responsibilities. I'm currently underpaid, and I know your company/agency would compensate me fairly."

• Like 1
  • Author
I said it before, and I'd say it again if I was looking to move on.

"I'm looking for compensation that's commensurate with my workload and responsibilities. I'm currently underpaid, and I know your company/agency would compensate me fairly."

This is a great response. Tactful and to the point. The company I spoke with was a staffing agency for a large tech firm and I know they would pay more than fair. The recruiter said my asking price was more than fair as well. :D

• Like 1