How do I relax when I'm around them?

disneyfan90

I have some friends from work. They're cool people and fun to hangout with. Whenever we all hangout, we go to bars and all of them end up having a few drinks. I like to drink from time to time, and especially when I'm with them, I'm a totally different person after just one drink. I find that I'm far more relaxed and sociable, and everyone just seems to like me more after I'm buzzed. Without alcohol, I'm much quieter. This is why everyone always urges me to drink at least a little.

The only problem is that whenever I go spend time with them, I have no other option but to drive myself. Taxis and all that other stuff are too expensive for me at the moment. I definitely don't want to drink and drive. Since I'm so lightweight, I'd be in no position to drive even after just one drink.

How can I be more relaxed around my work friends when we're at a bar and they're all drinking? Drinking alcohol can be fun, but I'd like to be able to relax and be myself without drinking--mainly since I have no choice but to drive.

• Like 1

Try some non alcoholic cocktails.

I guarantee they'll have same effect on how you feel.

Part of what happens when you have a drink is just you giving yourself permission to loosen up and be more open.

Associate that permission with the non alcoholic cocktails, and you'll have the same outcome.

Take care.

• Like 1
  • Author
disneyfan90
Try some non alcoholic cocktails.

I guarantee they'll have same effect on how you feel.

Part of what happens when you have a drink is just you giving yourself permission to loosen up and be more open.

Associate that permission with the non alcoholic cocktails, and you'll have the same outcome.

Take care.

I do find that this is true. May not be as effective as having an alcoholic drink but it does do something, so I will try it next time!

• Like 1