Angry about the company

I just need to get this off my chest, I am having anger issues due to my frustration both at work and from my divorce but I just got another two huge doses from the work side in the last week. I am so angry I feel like kicking something through the wall!! I know that won't "help" anything except give me some satisfaction so I'm taking the next best step and posting this FWIW. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

What triggered this is a good family friend came to me looking for a policy and I wish to help her. I found she's not eligible for many products in the area she's looking in but one policy seemed perfect. It is tailored to meet her exact needs (most likely why it was invented.) I thought this is wonderful, I can help her out and we're one of the few companies that sell that type of policy, but when I got into the details, I realized it's total crap! Sure, she should spend six times what the policy is worth to buy it OMG! Who invents this sh*t and why!? Is it just to screw with people? Perhaps it's to make money off of the uneducated. Either way, I think it sucks and it makes me ashamed to work for this company.

I really hate to do this because I have spent a lot of money and time in working for them and marketing myself, but I'm really on the edge of leaving them and letting the other poor saps deal with this BS. I don't know what I'll do, I'm deeply in debt now spending marketing money, gas, supplies and time with them assuming I would just need to stick it out and it would work, but I'm just so disgusted now, I severely question if I can stomach dealing with these underhanded policies or if I can sell something I am disgusted with! Seriously!?

My only recourse now is anger. I'm no stranger to anger lately. I used to be such an even tempered guy. Life used to roll off my back but the sh*t from my wife and being separated from my family for a year now, having to start a new career (with a company I now hate) and having crappy living conditions due to my lack of income lately have conspired to make me feel real rage! :mad: I'm trying to let it out like this before I blow up at someone. I think I need to invest in a punching bag!

Ken

LuckyLady13

Hey Kenmore, welcome to Ventshack. Oh...wait...

Just kidding, of course. I think you're making a good move venting here. Much better than at work but I have a question. Are you sure the company you work for didn't have an oversight of any kind with this policy? Like some clown put it together and maybe it wasn't looked over carefully?

However, if you know for sure this policy is written out this way intentionally and you're having a real moral issue with this company, definitely start putting out feelers to find a job you're happier with. Life is too short.

Sorry to hear about everything that came before this. Sometimes when it rains, it pours but the sun does come out.

• Author
Hey Kenmore, welcome to Ventshack. Oh...wait...

Just kidding, of course. I think you're making a good move venting here. Much better than at work but I have a question. Are you sure the company you work for didn't have an oversight of any kind with this policy? Like some clown put it together and maybe it wasn't looked over carefully?

However, if you know for sure this policy is written out this way intentionally and you're having a real moral issue with this company, definitely start putting out feelers to find a job you're happier with. Life is too short.

Sorry to hear about everything that came before this. Sometimes when it rains, it pours but the sun does come out.

Thanks LuckyLady, I appreciate your reply. It most likely evolved into what it is but knowing what I know now, there are only two types of people who would buy it, that's the ignorant (or misguided) or those trying to take advantage of my company because they know they're going to die in a year or two and don't say so. Either way, it stinks of sh*t (sorry, I still need to vent a little.)

I have been dealing with this employment BS for five years now. It helped ruin my marriage and it has put a very frugal guy like me in debt and maybe I have no-one to blame but myself but I really have tried. My wife didn't care, results were all that mattered to her and same with the rest of the world. I get it, I'm not dumb but I feel like I'm really beating my head against the wall and as time goes by it never gets better, it only gets worse.

Nothing anyone can do about it, I get that too. I do have a good friend who is trying and I appreciate him very much! I really can't understand that try as I might, it never works out. I have nothing left but anger and resentment, but still not so much to forget to thank people like you for your kind thoughts.

I'm seriously considering taking one of these policies out myself...

LoveMachine67
Thanks LuckyLady, I appreciate your reply. It most likely evolved into what it is but knowing what I know now, there are only two types of people who would buy it, that's the ignorant (or misguided) or those trying to take advantage of my company because they know they're going to die in a year or two and don't say so. Either way, it stinks of sh*t (sorry, I still need to vent a little.)

I have been dealing with this employment BS for five years now. It helped ruin my marriage and it has put a very frugal guy like me in debt and maybe I have no-one to blame but myself but I really have tried. My wife didn't care, results were all that mattered to her and same with the rest of the world. I get it, I'm not dumb but I feel like I'm really beating my head against the wall and as time goes by it never gets better, it only gets worse.

Nothing anyone can do about it, I get that too. I do have a good friend who is trying and I appreciate him very much! I really can't understand that try as I might, it never works out. I have nothing left but anger and resentment, but still not so much to forget to thank people like you for your kind thoughts.

I'm seriously considering taking one of these policies out myself...

Ken, I feel where you are coming from my friend. I was in business for myself for a few years and I lost my a$$ because I was very honest with people when it came to selling them BS.

I would just simply tell you to hang in there, because there is something brighter in your future. The difficulties you are experiencing now, will be a distant memory very soon!

loveweary11

Ken: We all have to do work we aren't thrilled with to get by and a lot of it makes money by taking from others when you really come down to it.

That said, maybe it's time for a reset?

Maybe you aren't taking the path of least resistance at the moment?

Is there something less stressful for you to do at this juncture?

Ex wife stuff, work stuff, it's like a bunch of things that multiply each other. My ex destroyed my career path as she exited, so i know where you are coming from.

Remember a lesson I learned many years ago: You are not what you do for work. Who you are has nothing to do with career stuff. It's an important distinction to make and men often screw that one up.

Reading posts like this really is something I understand because I've been there. I get it. It sucks and can make you feel awful.

Do punch things. Do have a cry if you need go. Go to bed and wake up the next day and see how things feel. Possibly, sales isn't your thing. I don't know, but definitely get that anger out. Beat up your bed pillow if it helps. Punch it with all you've got.

• Like 3
UpwardForward

My experience during divorce was that of Everything piling in on me and with many disappointments and no peace.

It won't always be this way.

Your discovery on behalf of your friend? Do you feel all policies with your company are this way? Are there any good ones that you could use as your specialty and to sell to other clients, and with the knowledge that everyone will be happy?

It appears you are knowledgeable in the business - enough to know if your client is getting a good deal or not.

At another time, when your finances are better - you might want to look into starting your own agency as a means of better serving your clients and while being able to represent different providers.

Meanwhile, if you feel you're stuck at the company because of finances, I would look into trying to find good policies for potential clients.

You're doing your friend a favor by passing on her needs, and explaining why.

It would probably be against company policy for you to look into other options for her with other providers, right?

• Author

LM67, thank you for your optimism. It really does help!

LW11, I'm definitely not taking the path of least resistance. In fact the biggest reason I chose this path was to "please" my wife (which was impossible), and now I'm stuck. I hear you when you say your ex destroyed your career path. Again, I can't blame anyone but myself; I did make many career decisions, though, based upon my wife's guidance, wants, needs and urging. I went in too many paths and this is one of them. At least I have no more of that! Yes, I was an idiot for trying to make her happy. Another lesson learned!

UF, Thank you for your kindness. The problem I have had is everyone sells the "good" policies. I'm trying to specialize but every specialty I have chosen has turned into a shining turd. I'm sure it's part of the learning process but I just love how they let us go down these paths with the cheerleading squad yelling go for it! while we find out (often too late) that we're selling sh*t. I feel they want that. I'm starting to feel they hope we sell more sh*t because it makes them more money and rips off the customer. I'm sure (sarcasm alert) that somehow makes for happy, long lasting clients!

I am "independent" meaning I can go outside of my company if my company doesn't sell what my customer needs. If they do, they expect us to sell it. If my customer declines, I can pursue something else but only then. Often they don't want to talk to me anymore at that point. Technically I have my own agency (because my company doesn't pay me other than commissions), but I am tied to them. In a way, they have it pretty good. I (and others like me) take the heat, push their products first, work for free until we sell something, then maintain the clients. I know I have spent more money than I have made in the last six months and honestly for that I expected a little more support. It turns out the joke's on me.

Hope Shimmers

Kenmore,

I walked away from the company I worked for with no notice 3 years ago (medical communications company, where I was expected to basically lie about FDA-approved medications by twisting words). I was a Medical Director. I was making $260k a year, plus bonuses and lots of perks. I have never looked back.

I had to think for a few weeks after that - then started my own company - freelancing medical writing. Then I was hired by my biggest client to work from home. I have never been sorry.

I still practice clinically PRN.

I hope you get all of this worked out. My message is that you should be true to yourself if you can.

• Like 2
Ken: We all have to do work we aren't thrilled with to get by and a lot of it makes money by taking from others when you really come down to it.

That said, maybe it's time for a reset?

Maybe you aren't taking the path of least resistance at the moment?

Is there something less stressful for you to do at this juncture?

Ex wife stuff, work stuff, it's like a bunch of things that multiply each other. My ex destroyed my career path as she exited, so i know where you are coming from.

Remember a lesson I learned many years ago: You are not what you do for work. Who you are has nothing to do with career stuff. It's an important distinction to make and men often screw that one up.

Reading posts like this really is something I understand because I've been there. I get it. It sucks and can make you feel awful.

Do punch things. Do have a cry if you need go. Go to bed and wake up the next day and see how things feel. Possibly, sales isn't your thing. I don't know, but definitely get that anger out. Beat up your bed pillow if it helps. Punch it with all you've got.

Very well said, my friend.

Kenmore,

I walked away from the company I worked for with no notice 3 years ago (medical communications company, where I was expected to basically lie about FDA-approved medications by twisting words). I was a Medical Director. I was making $260k a year, plus bonuses and lots of perks. I have never looked back.

I had to think for a few weeks after that - then started my own company - freelancing medical writing. Then I was hired by my biggest client to work from home. I have never been sorry.

I still practice clinically PRN.

I hope you get all of this worked out. My message is that you should be true to yourself if you can.

From one freelance writer to another. Not quite as fortunate yet, but hope to be.

I know I have spent more money than I have made in the last six months and honestly for that I expected a little more support. It turns out the joke's on me.

If you haven't already, join something like the local rotary or the chamber of commerce in your area. See if you can hook up with a mentor and bounce some ideas around. It would seem that you should be able to get help from your fellow associates but they might secretly want you to fail - or maybe not and they're just too busy, I don't know. But maybe someone out there would be willing to hang out, have a lunch, and a mentoring session or two with you.

All I know is, you have to keep fighting. You have to keep moving. When you have a sh*t day like this, just accept that it was a sh*t day, write it off. Since you're in San Diego, go to the beach. Walk around, look at teh sunset. Appreciate its beauty. Think. Meditate. Block out the noise. And get up the next day it start over with yesterday behind you. Keep doing this until things get better.

Edited by Fugu
  • Author

HS, I come and go. One day I'm ready to walk and another I feel they are worth a lot. Sorry if I vent, but I really am struggling and when I vent I am really disgusted. When I feel they are worth a lot it's because they have clout. Not just clout but organization, oversight and structure. It would really hurt me to just walk away from that but if I feel they are not being up-and-up, I won't tolerate it.

Fugu, I have thought seriously about joining the organizations you mention and my own mentors have said I should too but it costs money. That said, I have spent more doing my own thing. Yeah, maybe I'm a fool for not listening. I really want to make this work on my own terms but maybe I can't. When I consider joining a rotary or a lions club, the thought that goes through my mind is endless meetings and dues with no results. Well, maybe no results there are better than no results elsewhere. I don't know. I just know I need to find what works and so far I have not!

Preraph, I know! I wish I knew how; I believe in most of this companies products but WTF with these few? They bother me!

HS, I come and go. One day I'm ready to walk and another I feel they are worth a lot. Sorry if I vent, but I really am struggling and when I vent I am really disgusted. When I feel they are worth a lot it's because they have clout. Not just clout but organization, oversight and structure. It would really hurt me to just walk away from that but if I feel they are not being up-and-up, I won't tolerate it.

Fugu, I have thought seriously about joining the organizations you mention and my own mentors have said I should too but it costs money. That said, I have spent more doing my own thing. Yeah, maybe I'm a fool for not listening. I really want to make this work on my own terms but maybe I can't. When I consider joining a rotary or a lions club, the thought that goes through my mind is endless meetings and dues with no results. Well, maybe no results there are better than no results elsewhere. I don't know. I just know I need to find what works and so far I have not!

Preraph, I know! I wish I knew how; I believe in most of this companies products but WTF with these few? They bother me!

Maybe there's a "meetup" group in your area that could be useful. If they don't then maybe consider just one of those groups until you get more firmly established on your feet. Maybe the local Chamber first and then Rotary once you get going. I would also look into trade associations and not-for-profit orgs in your area. I used to be a director for a very small not-for-profit and local chapters frequently had short visitors from finance fields give presentations at dinner meetings - regular member meetings, that is. Go to inexpensive trade shows too.

I understand. I never did well unless I was, at a minimum, satisfied with the integrity of the product and the company, and do much better if I'm passionate about it. I just wouldn't push them and if they ask why, tell them people pay more attention than they think they do!

That is business, it sucks. Not your problem. Don't make it your friend's problem - that solves one issue.

If you have a moral issue with the company, then look for a more decent place to work. Unless you are in an executive position, probably, no one gives a crap what you think of the product, and speaking up might "cut your throut." That is just my take.

Your anger is natural, you have to work through these stages of grieving. Yas

• Author

Thanks again for the replies!

Things started to click a little this week and it's looking like out of the four people I'm now looking into (an average of five policies per person), we won't write 90% of them for one reason or another. It's agonizing, and the ones I did write before were wiped from my goal due to a "moving window" of time to sell so many policies so I'm starting over, but that's ok. I know it takes a "rate" and if the rate isn't there, I'm not making a living (which I'm not), so know it needs to be stepped up somehow.

the increase of people talking to me is heartening.

Only being able to write 10% of what they are tossing on the table is heartbreaking.

It doesn't matter. What matters is I get my head out of my ass and start to make my life work again. Though I have been trying, I'll keep looking down these dead end alleys and some times I'll find a golden nugget. Over time the golden nuggets will multiply and eventually I'll have a bar. Eventually I'll have a life and by this time next week, I'll be single, and that will have a change in my life that no-one can fathom yet.

Yas, thanks for mentioning grieving. I think it plays a bigger part than I thought. I thought it was my motivation, it turns out it's my demotivation. I just need to get my head in the right place to see things properly.

Ken

loveweary11

Only being able to write 10% of what they are tossing on the table is heartbreaking.

How's the base?

This one part of the situation would have me looking elsewhere.

So they are literally destroying 90% of your sales/commission by not following through on binding these sold policies?

Something needs to change.

They need to vet the "suspect list" better to have QUALIFIED leads!

• Like 1
  • Author

I have a meeting tomorrow with a prospect who has five houses, three cars, an umbrella policy and a business. I was happy, thinking things are looking up, when my boss calls me in for a meeting. He basically said they are "cleaning house" and getting rid of those who are not preforming well. I find it odd because I checked the board (all us new agents post policies written in dry-erase color of the month, so they can tell what month the policies were written, and after four months, they get erased), and nobody is making it. There is not a single new agent out of the twelve there who is making it, and they are cleaning house (making me think the trainers are who needs to go.)

After discussing it, he agreed to give me until the end of July and then a re-evaluation. In fairness, his boss is the one who wants to clean house, he's just stuck in the unenviable position of doing the deed.

At first I thought it was a good thing he gave me more time, then I started to resent it all. When I signed on, the contract was a one year "reserve" plan, meaning I had a year to make "career" agent. I began just after the new year, it took me two months of training before I was even able to sell policies, now early July they are chopping me off? Not just me, other heads will roll! Sure, nothing is guaranteed in the contract, of course it stipulates that I can leave or they can let me go with due notice, but WTF?

Even later, I was simply pissed! How dare they screw with my life like this? I paid for my own education, testing, licensing, marketing, gas, suits, dry-cleaning, now after six months they are ready to toss me out? F*ckers! Anger aside, I started wondering how much time and money am I really going to put into this now? I think it may be a motivational move, designed to get me serious (because obviously I have just been playing up until now), but if so, it may really be a dumb one!

After I got home, I remember the district manager (the big boss in our building) talking about a carrot or a stick. He said people are either a carrot or a stick person, he just needs to find out which one they are. I'm wondering if this is a stick. I never saw a carrot. Another guy who is newer than me gets special treatment because he has been in the business for awhile. they are paying for a marketing staff and he gets all the leads. That's a carrot! I get the stick. I may just have to shove it up someones ass! :mad:

You're not going to like reading this, but I think they're probably going to move you out unless there is a dramatic turnaround that makes them believe you're going to knock it out of the park. I know you've sunk money into this, but do you think that this job is really 'you'? Maybe it's a good thing in the long run?

• Like 1
pink_sugar
You're not going to like reading this, but I think they're probably going to move you out unless there is a dramatic turnaround that makes them believe you're going to knock it out of the park. I know you've sunk money into this, but do you think that this job is really 'you'? Maybe it's a good thing in the long run?

I had a job like that. I had to make a 180 turnaround after my review to keep my job...which I did. However, a few months later they pushed me out by giving me few hours of work to the point where I was off the schedule for 2 weeks. I ended up quitting and they challenged unemployment saying I quit, but they considered 2 consistent weeks of no work a layoff and I won. Polish up your resume and look elsewhere.

• Author

Thanks! Fugu, you're not the first person to say that, in fact it seems to be the universal sentiment. I liked the idea of this job. Representing a big well known company, setting my own hours (and they have been relentless), great possibilities, but you're right, just like the marriage I wanted to keep, I'm better off going a different path. I'm a little sick of other people making those decisions for me, but you can't fight the currents of life.

Pink_sugar, that's a really low way to fire someone. It's completely underhanded. There's no unemployment for me, but it's true I need to find something else. I hate to admit this but one of the things that brought me to this career is the fact that I was unable to get a job in my regular field and I polished my resume quite a bit ten months ago when I was desperate to save my marriage.

There is a business I wanted to start from day one after closing the doors of our family business. I'm kicking myself that I never did it and it was because I was always told I needed to find a regular paying job, but when that wasn't going well, I was told I should start my own business but not the one I want, some other (cheaper) business, just to "get going." Now I have tried everything except what I always wanted to do. In other words, I ran in circles trying to make someone else happy but never myself and since our finances were tied together, I had to take her perspective into account.

No more. As of today I'm free, and I'm going to start going down that path. If a better opportunity comes up (and it may), I'll take a good look, but I'm really tired of others running and controlling my life. I know that's how it is for most people, but I have a unique situation here where the stars have aligned and today I find myself ready to try something new and have nobody saying no. Looking back, if I had done this from day one like I wanted to, I would have wasted a lot less time and money than I did going in circles. It's looking like a divine intervention in my life. It just makes me sick to think, though, that I wasted so much time and money pursuing this with a company that will just toss you aside before even following through on what they said.

Ken

• Like 2
loveweary11

Ken...

I've been through literally everything you are going through and I see something else coming.

You are taking it all too personally. Your occupation is not who you are.

No company owes you anything and you don't owe the company anything either.

It's just a matter of facts and business. A large multinational company like you arevat now always develops its employees in a "survival of the fittest" contest. Just look at those poor "management trainees" staffing every Enterprise car rental desk. They work them to the bone at no pay, promising them upward mobility. Certainly, not everyone at the rental counter can become the manager.

Same in your sales position.

But... opening and running your own company is even more difficult. You will need to detach your emotions from that as well.

I'm a serial entrepreneur.

One of the most important lessons for success I learned in my 15 years or so running my own businesses is this:

It doesn't matter what type of company you open/run.

What matters is what the market is like, how your skills are in sales/marketing for bootstrap phase, what your competition is and profitability. (in no particular order)

Do not repeat the mistake of living through your heart/emotions when doing business/career stuff. Save your heart/emotions for your personal life, which should be the part of your life that gives you satisfaction and a sense of pride and fulfilment.

Do not wrap yoru pride up into "success" professionally.

Once you get a hang of that, business comes easy.

Just don't get all emotionally invested in this one "follow your heart" business. It may not work. In fact, odds are it won't, because you should start by identifying a market when selecting a new business to start, not by thinking about anything personal.

PS: I agree, obviously, about not needing a "job." I have only had one "job" for a few months since the turn of the century. As a new entrepreneur, get reading. There is a lot to learn and mistakes cost much more than books. ;)

Edited by loveweary11
  • Like 3
Ken...

I've been through literally everything you are going through and I see something else coming.

You are taking it all too personally. Your occupation is not who you are.

No company owes you anything and you don't owe the company anything either.

It's just a matter of facts and business. A large multinational company like you arevat now always develops its employees in a "survival of the fittest" contest. Just look at those poor "management trainees" staffing every Enterprise car rental desk. They work them to the bone at no pay, promising them upward mobility. Certainly, not everyone at the rental counter can become the manager.

Same in your sales position.

But... opening and running your own company is even more difficult. You will need to detach your emotions from that as well.

I'm a serial entrepreneur.

One of the most important lessons for success I learned in my 15 years or so running my own businesses is this:

It doesn't matter what type of company you open/run.

What matters is what the market is like, how your skills are in sales/marketing for bootstrap phase, what your competition is and profitability. (in no particular order)

Do not repeat the mistake of living through your heart/emotions when doing business/career stuff. Save your heart/emotions for your personal life, which should be the part of your life that gives you satisfaction and a sense of pride and fulfilment.

Do not wrap yoru pride up into "success" professionally.

Once you get a hang of that, business comes easy.

Just don't get all emotionally invested in this one "follow your heart" business. It may not work. In fact, odds are it won't, because you should start by identifying a market when selecting a new business to start, not by thinking about anything personal.

PS: I agree, obviously, about not needing a "job." I have only had one "job" for a few months since the turn of the century. As a new entrepreneur, get reading. There is a lot to learn and mistakes cost much more than books. ;)

I wish we had a clapping emoticon (lol).

Seriously, I think this is spot on advice right here.

Thanks! Fugu, you're not the first person to say that, in fact it seems to be the universal sentiment. I liked the idea of this job. Representing a big well known company, setting my own hours (and they have been relentless), great possibilities, but you're right, just like the marriage I wanted to keep, I'm better off going a different path. I'm a little sick of other people making those decisions for me, but you can't fight the currents of life.

Pink_sugar, that's a really low way to fire someone. It's completely underhanded. There's no unemployment for me, but it's true I need to find something else. I hate to admit this but one of the things that brought me to this career is the fact that I was unable to get a job in my regular field and I polished my resume quite a bit ten months ago when I was desperate to save my marriage.

There is a business I wanted to start from day one after closing the doors of our family business. I'm kicking myself that I never did it and it was because I was always told I needed to find a regular paying job, but when that wasn't going well, I was told I should start my own business but not the one I want, some other (cheaper) business, just to "get going." Now I have tried everything except what I always wanted to do. In other words, I ran in circles trying to make someone else happy but never myself and since our finances were tied together, I had to take her perspective into account.

No more. As of today I'm free, and I'm going to start going down that path. If a better opportunity comes up (and it may), I'll take a good look, but I'm really tired of others running and controlling my life. I know that's how it is for most people, but I have a unique situation here where the stars have aligned and today I find myself ready to try something new and have nobody saying no. Looking back, if I had done this from day one like I wanted to, I would have wasted a lot less time and money than I did going in circles. It's looking like a divine intervention in my life. It just makes me sick to think, though, that I wasted so much time and money pursuing this with a company that will just toss you aside before even following through on what they said.

Ken

I can relate to those feelings.

I think that loveweary's advice was right, and I would put some thought into what he said. From my own experience now, I wish I would have planned my marketing and business development a little more carefully before jumping into the abyss. I leaped mainly because I was frustrated and angry all the time at my previous job and I just wanted a way out. I was assuming that I could pick up my freelance clients the way I did three years ago, but the competition has become a lot more fierce and I'm in a different market geographically now. Consequently, I'm struggling, and loveweary's post makes me realize that I made decisions that were emotional and that I didn't make my planning logical enough. I am still confident that I will get things going, but it would have been nice to know some of these things a few months ago.

I don't know what kind of business plans you have going forward, but I would make your exit from your current situation as graceful as possible. People may have different views on what that means, but what I mean as it applies to you is to continue working with your clients and colleagues professionally. When it comes time to pull the plug on it finally, I would just be upfront with them and say that you've appreciated the time and opportunity. It didn't work out as you wanted it to, but you probably learned a lot. I think people will understand. People know that not every person is going to be a great insurance salesman. But that doesn't mean you can't be great at something else. Try to leave gracefully, because those same people might actually be helpful to you in your next venture. I know in my case, I tried to leave gracefully despite everyone knowing I wasn't happy. It enabled me to continue working on a very limited basis with these people, and it's a lifeline right now.

• Like 1