position cancelled- now possible job offer

I have been looking for a full time job recently. One of the jobs I applied for and interviewed for ended up with the position being canceled.

Last week the hiring manager emailed me and asked me if I was still interested in a position and told me when the hours would be and to let her know if I was wanting to do that. I emailed her back the same day and told her I would be interested. I still have not heard anything back from her in response to the job.

How long should I wait before assuming she is not going to offer me a position?- Or how long should I wait before contacting her again about the status of the job?

Why would she email me if she wasn't interested in offering me the job- (since to me it sounded as if she was interested in doing just that)

She didn’t offer you the job; she simply asked if you would be interested. Most likely she sent the same email to several people. The company has some red flags: canceling/eliminating a position, dangling a carrot then leaving an applicant hanging. I would not waste time trying to figure her out nor would I contact her again. My advice: move on and look into other opportunities.

• Like 2
She didn’t offer you the job; she simply asked if you would be interested. Most likely she sent the same email to several people. The company has some red flags: canceling/eliminating a position, dangling a carrot then leaving an applicant hanging. I would not waste time trying to figure her out nor would I contact her again. My advice: move on and look into other opportunities.

This!^^^^^^^

• Author

Yes she didn't offer me the job, but why even bother contacting me and not just re post the position? From a friend I know that works in a different department, I was the only one who interviewed for the position and it was canceled due to issues with HR and other people moving around/getting promoted in the company.

SycamoreCircle

I don't think you should assume you're going to be offered the position. But I do think you should expect a follow up e-mail by them telling you whether or not the position has been filled, if they would like you to come in for an interview, etc. Hiring can be a very slow process.

• Author
I don't think you should assume you're going to be offered the position. But I do think you should expect a follow up e-mail by them telling you whether or not the position has been filled, if they would like you to come in for an interview, etc. Hiring can be a very slow process.

I already had an interview for almost the same position. The only difference in the one the lady was talking about is the hours. I mostly would just like to know why she would contact me and never bother to follow up. I don't see why she would need me to interview again for almost the exact same position.

It just frustrates me sometimes with how hiring managers don't bother to get back with applicants.

SycamoreCircle

I applied for a position. It was then filled. Almost immediately they contacted all the applicants and informed them that another position, closely related but with some very minor differences, had just opened up. They asked that if you were interested in the position, to re-submit a cover letter explaining why you wanted the position.

The obviously challenging thing about that, to me, is convincing an employer that you're passionate about a position that is not the position you just applied for and wrote a letter attempting to convince the same employer that you were passionate about it. It sort of points up the ridiculousness of the whole system.

Yes she didn't offer me the job, but why even bother contacting me and not just re post the position? From a friend I know that works in a different department, I was the only one who interviewed for the position and it was canceled due to issues with HR and other people moving around/getting promoted in the company.

OP, you keep going back to “why?” (several times in the thread). People can guess but the truth is we don’t have the answer to that. Besides, what difference does it make? Do you really want to work for these people?As far as expectations, sure, you can "expect" another email, but you might get it and you might not. Again, my advice is to not get stuck on the "why?" and move on.

pink_sugar
OP, you keep going back to “why?” (several times in the thread). People can guess but the truth is we don’t have the answer to that. Besides, what difference does it make? Do you really want to work for these people?As far as expectations, sure, you can "expect" another email, but you might get it and you might not. Again, my advice is to not get stuck on the "why?" and move on.

Why? who knows. Some HR people just aren't good at their jobs. However, a lot of times it is procedure to follow up with previous candidates if the first one didn't work out for whatever reason. Sometimes it all depends on who took the bait quicker.