Possible freelance work

So I connected with a company who might be interested in some of my services. As a client, I happened to be talking about what I did for work and they said they could possibly utilize my services and asked what my rates were. Now, I have done freelance work twice. The first woman I worked for didn't let on that her intent was to pay under the table. Last year, I worked for another guy who just had me fill out a W-9 in case I made over $600. My question is, is it up to the business to have me fill out a W-9 and bring it to them? Or should they be asking me for this info? If not, what info do they need? Also, how do I decide what is a reasonable charge for services? The last people I performed services for decided what they paid me on an hourly basis. Thanks in advance.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Author
As a freelancer, it's a 1099 you will mostly be operating under.

Ok great. Would I expect the company to 1099 me or am I the one responsible for handling all of that?

loveweary11

They file the 1099 MISC on you, notifying the IRS of your income as a contractor (rather than an employee).

This is treated as income in your filing of your own taxes.

Take a look at this link. There is a bit more to it than typical W4 employment. More tax work on your end if not under the table.

Specifically, don't feel like the $$$ you get from the place as a contractor is your net income because it's not even close after you pay employment taxes on yourself and income tax as well.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/General-Tax-Tips/How-to-File-Taxes-with-IRS-Form-1099-MISC/INF19989.html

In other words, pad out your consulting fees to account for the substantial taxes.

• Like 1