Taking off for 2 weeks right after starting a new job

I'm currently looking for a job, but I have two week-long trips planned for this summer, 1 in July, 1 in Aug. So I'm just concerned that if I get a job within the next couple weeks I won't be able to take off for 2 weeks. Does anyone know how this works?

I'm currently looking for a job, but I have two week-long trips planned for this summer, 1 in July, 1 in Aug. So I'm just concerned that if I get a job within the next couple weeks I won't be able to take off for 2 weeks. Does anyone know how this works?

You'll need to coordinate the timing of your departure somehow. You can communicate to potential employers that you intend to take a family vacation and then see if they'll work around that. No need to mention that until you have a job offer, but if you get an offer, or if the issue of your availability comes up, you definitely need to address it head on. I would not get a new job and then drop the surprise on them - not a good way to start a new business relationship.

I don't know what kind of jobs you're applying for, but I'll assume you're applying to an office position of some kind.

It shouldn't be an issue. Once you receive an offer, let them know and work with them. I wouldn't tell them before hand though.

I've seen before people get hired and then immediately take off for a two or three week vacation. It doesn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things...

• Like 1
Arieswoman

Usually, when you fill in the job application form, it asks you to state if you have any holidays planned.

If it doesn't, then you bring it up at interview.

Good luck.

TaraMaiden2

In the UK, when you are offered a job, it's standard practice to ask whether you have any existing holiday booked.

If you have, they usually respect that, because jobs, work and new offers are not predictable, and if your holiday was booked prior to all this happening, then you can't be expected to drop everything or change it all for them.

Sure,if you're planning 2 weeks in your back garden, that's one thing.

But you may have booked a transatlantic flight, and a hotel, already....

There is no obligation to give any precise detail about it, though.

Just the dates you've planned to be away....

pureinheart

The industry that I worked for usually hired because they needed people- people to be there. You earned vacation unless you were coming off of a lay-off (in that case people had vacation saved).

Typically it was bad practice to ask for time off when applying. IME, if you want a job, shine on the vacations, or hold off until after.

The industry that I worked for usually hired because they needed people- people to be there. You earned vacation unless you were coming off of a lay-off (in that case people had vacation saved).

Typically it was bad practice to ask for time off when applying. IME, if you want a job, shine on the vacations, or hold off until after.

Pretty sure most industries hire because they need people. Just sayin'... ;)

I know this is different in blue-collar fields. For instance, my husband used to be a car mechanic for a big national brand. He never took a vacation because although he had the option, it was unpaid. I can see it being similar in construction, for example.

However, when you're hiring someone because of their specific professional qualifications (which may have been hard to find!), giving them a week or two vacation early on is not a deal breaker.

pink_sugar

Since vacation is so close, I would probably hold off on the hunt. I don't think a few days to a week is a deal breaker. My husband told him about his 3 days mid-week planned vacation 3 months out and it was no problem. Two weeks seems like a lot in such a short amount of time.

It depends.

If you have already booked & paid for the vacation, once you are offered a job, disclose the vacation to the new employer & ask if it will be a problem. Some may say no problem others may say OK but since you are not yet eligible for paid vacation you won't get paid, others will tell you it's a problem.

• Like 1
pureinheart
Pretty sure most industries hire because they need people. Just sayin'... ;)

I know this is different in blue-collar fields. For instance, my husband used to be a car mechanic for a big national brand. He never took a vacation because although he had the option, it was unpaid. I can see it being similar in construction, for example.

However, when you're hiring someone because of their specific professional qualifications (which may have been hard to find!), giving them a week or two vacation early on is not a deal breaker.

I'm so glad you let me know that! Just saying...

Well, work ethics have changed greatly then because back in my day it was unheard of to ask for time off right out of the gate, unless it was for a medical procedure.. made no difference, blue collar or not.

i have always used the "do you have anything else to add?" part of the interview to get around this. it has happened to me a lot - in years past - when i was out of college and always travelling. if they said : do you have anything else to add.. my response was something like, "yes, i just wanted to advise you that my start date would need to be XXX due to plans i have previously scheduled" or something like that. you don't mention a vacation, just that your start date could be delayed. most don't care, it's not an issue as long as they are told BEFORE you're offered the job. i waited once to tell and it was not a good way to begin.

I would mention any planned vacations after receiving the offer, and during negotiations of the benefits and salary. If it were me, I'd offer to take the vacations unpaid because they are so close to the start date.

In my experience, many companies have a probationary period where vacations are not allowed for the first six months to a year of employment, as well as 401K eligibility. If this is the case, it's another reason to offer to take the time off unpaid.

• Like 2
I'm so glad you let me know that! Just saying...

Well, work ethics have changed greatly then because back in my day it was unheard of to ask for time off right out of the gate, unless it was for a medical procedure.. made no difference, blue collar or not.

Haha don't be prickly!

I'm not sure it's a matter of ethics though. I think it's just that people nowadays are less willing to compromise their life-work balance and vacation is a big part of that. I think that most employers nowadays also know that.

I just got a new job, right? If I'd had a vacation scheduled before I accepted the offer, I would have told them and expected them to allow me to take it. If they had an issue with that, then they're not a company I'm interested in working for and I would've passed on them.

• Like 1