Annual review coming up in a few months

pink_sugar

So, after so much recent dissatisfaction in my current job due to being underemployed, I have decided to request at least a $1 hourly raise at my annual review in a few months, as I did not get one at 6 months and I am grossly underpaid as it is. I was thinking of preparing some research showing the market rate for someone with my experience and education level. I'm definitely not expecting that much of a raise, but I think it could help leverage the raise I'm asking for, which I don't think is unreasonable. I will also be asking for a minimum of 35 hours per week. (Instead of the current 30) They keep dumping more and more responsibilities onto me and not increasing my working hours to accommodate the workloads. (I'm starting to think they are being cheap) I will also mention the increase of job duties over the past year as leverage to request more working hours. I enjoy the added responsibilities, but at the same time, I want the perks to go along with it and not be taken advantage of. If I am shot down...well, guess that means I will need to begin the job hunt again. If anyone has any tips on how to request a raise or more working hours during a review, please let me know.

If you're using a site like salary.com to determine that you're grossly underpaid, I would suggest that you don't even bother. The free data that you can obtain on those websites is next to worthless, particularly because it's based on what YOU input, which may or may not be correct. More often than not, it shows over-inflated salaries.

You accepted the job offer despite the 30 hours and the low pay, so why exactly should they change what you accepted a year ago? That's what the manager really wants to know.

It seems that you have taken on a lot of new work, and that's worth something. I would suggest that you simply ask for what you want based on your merits. Show what you are doing currently and how it differs from what you got hired to do. Explain that in order to maintain the level of excellence they are accustomed to from you, you need additional hours of work.

You can also prepare a list of things where you not only met but surpassed the expectations set on you, and use that as a basis for asking for more money.

However, before you bring up any of this... listen to what your manager has to say. Maybe he is already planning on giving you a raise. Maybe he doesn't actually feel that you deserve a raise because your performance isn't up to par. If you get an A+ review though... then that's a great time to ask.

Honestly, the best way to get a raise is to move to another company that pays better. I think there was even an article about this on Business Insider or one of those websites recently, and it's what I've experienced firsthand and from observing the careers of others.

Companies bring you in at a certain price point and they try to stay close to that. The only way you'll get more is by actually demonstrating - objectively - the specific value that you bring to a company. And usually, that means things like bringing in sales, or at least bringing in clients by word of mouth. Maybe, just maybe you're an efficiency queen and you enable others to get more work done in a day. But just doing work for a year and expecting to get a raise for loyalty? Hate to say it but that's not gonna work.

You can ask - doesn't hurt to do that. But I wouldn't expect a lot, and if you're only asking for a dollar, that begs the question, what do you expect of yourself, or your career direction? Might as well just test the waters and the market and see if you have any takers elsewhere.

• Like 5
  • Author
pink_sugar

The only reason I request a raise at review time is because the HR manager brings people in for preliminary reviews and asks what people are looking for in terms of a raise as well as any other concerns I may have. I agree with you, Fugu, about looking elsewhere. My boss told me once the company just wouldn't be for me if I'm looking for a career salary such as $25 an hour. (This was after hire). Arabella, the company has told me many times I can get full time. Otherwise I would have looked elsewhere. I was working a second job at the time of hire and they even asked me if I would consider resigning from the other job to be with them. They also said there is possibility for full time , so what I don't like is the false hopes and promises. If they strictly want part time, they should have said that and not lead me on by a string. Having accepted a job post college that paid well more than this, I know I am worth more. I would still be at that position today if the company didn't bankrupt. This job doesn't pay me well enough to live on my own. It was fine at the time with the second job as it gives me experience I need for my field, but unfortunately it's just not going to sustain long term and as my boss said, they just don't have the resources to pay career wages. I do enjoy working there, but eventually I need something that will allow me a decent quality of life.

I completely agree with the poster above.

I would also say that this is a good lesson to remember. Why accept a job where you're going in unsatisfied with the pay? It's not realistic to expect, within a year, any amount of significant improvements over the original offer.

Remember, you have the most leverage right BEFORE you accept an offer. That's the time to ask for more money and whatever perks you may want.

If you really want to stay at this company for whatever reason, find a new job and leverage that offer to get a counteroffer from your current company. That's probably your best shot, but even then, you can't bleed a stone. Your current company may simply not have the ability to give you more even if they want to. If that happens, at least you can take the other job if so you choose.

• Like 1
The only reason I request a raise at review time is because the HR manager brings people in for preliminary reviews and asks what people are looking for in terms of a raise as well as any other concerns I may have. I agree with you, Fugu, about looking elsewhere. My boss told me once the company just wouldn't be for me if I'm looking for a career salary such as $25 an hour. (This was after hire). Arabella, the company has told me many times I can get full time. Otherwise I would have looked elsewhere. I was working a second job at the time of hire and they even asked me if I would consider resigning from the other job to be with them. They also said there is possibility for full time , so what I don't like is the false hopes and promises. If they strictly want part time, they should have said that and not lead me on by a string. Having accepted a job post college that paid well more than this, I know I am worth more. I would still be at that position today if the company didn't bankrupt. This job doesn't pay me well enough to live on my own. It was fine at the time with the second job as it gives me experience I need for my field, but unfortunately it's just not going to sustain long term and as my boss said, they just don't have the resources to pay career wages. I do enjoy working there, but eventually I need something that will allow me a decent quality of life.

Another thing you should know... YOU may be worth more, but your JOB may not be. This may be one of those cases where you need to get a position with more responsibility or skill in order to progress. It's hard to say without knowing your specifics.

If they've told you before that you "could" get full time and even asked you about salary expectations, then talk to your manager! Just flat out tell him what you're thinking, like you've expressed it here. That way, he knows where you stand, and you will find out exactly where he stands, no more second-guessing.

• Like 2
  • Author
pink_sugar
I completely agree with the poster above.

I would also say that this is a good lesson to remember. Why accept a job where you're going in unsatisfied with the pay? It's not realistic to expect, within a year, any amount of significant improvements over the original offer.

Remember, you have the most leverage right BEFORE you accept an offer. That's the time to ask for more money and whatever perks you may want.

If you really want to stay at this company for whatever reason, find a new job and leverage that offer to get a counteroffer from your current company. That's probably your best shot, but even then, you can't bleed a stone. Your current company may simply not have the ability to give you more even if they want to. If that happens, at least you can take the other job if so you choose.

I was actually never presented with an offer to consider. They called and offered the job...but didn't disclose the pay until I had to come in to sign paperwork. So at that point it wasn't like I could be like "oh it only pays this much? Can i go home and think this over?" As I said i was working another job at the time and wanted the additional experience, so it wasn't a big deal at the time. I don't have the other job anymore, so now it's a bigger deal. Unfortunately at the time, I was desperate to take any job just to get out of living with relatives after a year. Wasn't in much of a position to be picky...but now I can. I'm not expecting much at review time, but $1 is a reasonable hourly increase after a year. I will also be keeping my options open if another opportunity presents itself in the meantime.

• Author
pink_sugar

Was actually planning on doing this. Not expecting much, but even if they can't match the salary offered, they might give me a raise.

Was actually planning on doing this. Not expecting much, but even if they can't match the salary offered, they might give me a raise.

This really should be a last resort, after you talk to your manager.

Assume they do make a counter-offer and you stay... then what? This will immediately put it in your manager's mind that you want to leave. Things will change, and it probably won't be for the better.

Personally, if this happened to me at work, I would not make a counter-offer at all. I would simply allow the person to go. Your manager may be the same way, so I would only do this if you're truly sure that you don't mind leaving.

• Author
pink_sugar
This really should be a last resort, after you talk to your manager.

Assume they do make a counter-offer and you stay... then what? This will immediately put it in your manager's mind that you want to leave. Things will change, and it probably won't be for the better.

Personally, if this happened to me at work, I would not make a counter-offer at all. I would simply allow the person to go. Your manager may be the same way, so I would only do this if you're truly sure that you don't mind leaving.

I actually had a coworker who was so fed up that he handed in his resignation and was already getting other offers. They actually asked what they could do to get him to stay. He ended up staying. He is salaried and felt really overworked...getting phone calls no one wanted to handle at 11pm at night. This is actually a pretty close knit company and my boss actually told me once that he doesn't care if he knows people are looking for other work, just so long as they give proper notice. Meaning he wouldn't fire someone if he knew they were dissatisfied and looking elsewhere. I would only provide another offer letter as a last resort if I'm practically on my way out the door. I will discuss the hours and raise at the review and go from there. If I did get another offer, it would have to be a damn good offer that I would be ready to move on for if they said no. Thanks for your thoughts.

Why not get a 2nd job, OP? Something that would help with your career?

• Author
pink_sugar
Why not get a 2nd job, OP? Something that would help with your career?

This was originally the second job to another job and hours went up at this job when I was no longer at previous position. Right now I am pretty much done with the second and side jobs as they just seem to make employers think I jump around, so I don't think it would boost my resume at this time. I have had a lot of them in the past few years and if I have too many commitments at once, it would also affect my ability to give 100% of my efforts to my main job. Plus I work 9-5 type hours here and since my husband and I share one vehicle, it would make working somewhere else nearly impossible unless it was a position in which I could telecommute and work around this position. I'm actually going to be doing some coursework to further my skills as I think that would be more beneficial at this time. I need to be more proficient in programs like Excel and I found a nice Groupon certificate program for MS Office. Plus a monthly class seminar on working on certain aspects in my field of work.

Keep in mind that you don't really need a certificate or anything for these Microsoft products - and there are TONS of online tutorials that you could start doing in the interim to increase your skills.

There comes a point in job interviews that some employers will have you take tests to determine your proficiency in programs like Excel, Powerpoint, etc. Even as an Executive Assistant, I would have companies administer tests to gauge my skill level.

Instead of paying for classes (even with a Groupon), just google around for tutorials that will teach you techniques and applications on your own.

• Like 1

I agree with CarrieT. While Office skills are critical for many roles, I don't think certificates and such are very useful. IF the company absolutely needs a certain level of proficiency, they will test it.

However, Id say that the Groupon for the class is a good idea. It's hard to look up tutorials on how to do things when you don't know exactly what are the features and skills you should learn. A class can provide structure and a well-rounded set of skills. :)

• Like 1
  • Author
pink_sugar

I'm not doing it for the certificate, but rather I need the hands on experience working with these programs. I've used some tutorials on youtube, but I am a hands on learner, so actually being given specific tasks to work on helps me learn the concepts better so I can remember it. Some of the youtube videos are hit and miss as it really depends on how well the instructor explains the material. For only $30, there isn't much to lose. It's about 120 hours of coursework.