Manager role - limited experience

Hi. Yesterday I applied for a manager role above my current position to manage my team. I have been at the organisation 4 years, have more skill based experience than they are looking for, and have achieved strong results in my role as well as good feedback from colleagues.

Despite this I dont have as much management experience as they are looking for. Just wondering whether they will consider me or not and whether my achievements can compensate for this lack of managerial experience.

The qualities I do have are hard work, passion, good results, and good relationships at the organisation. Would a company be willing to overlook this lack of experience? I figure after four years I need to have some kind of progression now, but how can I get managers experience if the role above me requires managers experience?

I think you've got a good chance.

In your interview, pull leadership experience from your current and past jobs, as well as any outside leadership roles or experience, formal or informal, you've had. Been the unofficial team captain of a recreational sports team? Use that. Older sibling to three? Use that. Looked to for answers and advice from current colleagues? Use that. Also play up your institutional knowledge from where you are now.

• Author

Oh you just gave me an answer to something!! I've been a football captain! thank you that's great!! didnt even think of it! And I'm an older sibling to two!

• Like 1

It's actually really hard to make the management jump. A lot of times, many qualified candidates are passed up because of this pesky experience requirement.

I just took over a team of 13 people because nobody inside the team made the cut for the management role, including the two supervisors. It happens.

It's all about the interpersonal skills and decision-making ability. The rest can always be learned.

Answer these:

Do your team-mates use you as a resource when they need guidance?

Did your former manager request your input on critical issues?

Do you play an organizational role for your team? (ie scheduling meetings, writing documentation)

If the answer is "yes", chances are you'd probably make a good candidate for the position. Make sure to bring up these things when you are interviewed for the position.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

A senior Manager today called me in to tell me they could not accept my application due to lack of management experience. I'm really quite disappointed that I was not given at least an interview although was well aware the experience would count against me and would likely not get it.

He suggested the company help me do further qualifications. I said well, without the manager experience I still cant really progress to a role like this unfortunately.

I'd love to do more qualifications but company policy dictates if an employee leaves during them he has to pay the full amount and masters programs arent cheap nor can they be done overnight so I would be committing myself for another 3-4 years in an entry level role. I'm not sure at my age I am willing to do that, I have six years experience in my sector and ten years professional experience, and also hold a degree from a good university.

I tried to hide my disappointment as best I could, but I think it might be the end of the road on this one.

That is unfortunate.

Without knowing what field you're in, it's difficult to give more advice.

I would consider looking for another job if you've already been there for a while, but remember this is likely to happen anywhere you go. It's very rare to go from entry level to manager in most fields.

You may be better off applying for senior/lead roles for your next job. That would make a good stepping stone into a management role later on.

• Like 1

Often people who are very good at a particular role aren't necessarily the best managers. If you were responsible for the performance of your team, most likely your time would need to be spent in other areas than currently is. Just bear that in mind.

I read your post when you added it and was hoping you'd get the job.

I'm sorry that you didn't get it.

However, (and bear in mind we don't know what you do for a living) go back and ask what kind of qualifications they were thinking about.

You can always say that your initial disappointment made you feel concerned about qualifications, length of time and that you are aware that if you leave during study you need to foot the bill.

(in other words be completely up front and honest about this - and rational).

Don't think any the less of how they value you either.

For them the rationale could well be that they needed a strong management experience candidate so that no managerial skills would need any guidance (which is fair enough in some situations).

The qualifications - and the reason I think you should find out what they might have in mind is that there are lots of superb management courses out there.

I've been on several of them and learned way more than I ever could have imagined.

Some of the courses I have been on have been one or two dayers so nothing like a degree but they give you a lot to think about and give you skills to 'manage' people, teams and workloads.

You could possibly even ask them if there's anything such as this on offer and you could find there is and that you might be able to step up and cover for the new manager and or help out.

Part of this - a lot of it is about not taking this at all personally. If you can do that then you're halfway to knowing how managers have to work.

In my role I get hassle, arguments and shouted at from some colleagues but my boss knows I can handle it and not take anything personally. I also never respond in kind and will sit back and respond succinctly once an answer is found.

He is happy to leave me in charge. He also knows that I will argue a point for the team when needed as I have done many times in the past.

I would recommend a book to read too called The Synergist by Les McKeown.

It has some great info and is I suspect the kind of employee that you are (I'm one too!).

If it is it will help you understand dynamics.

• Author

Thank you for your responses and understanding, appreciate it, you all raise good points.

I know management would be really different to what I do now and also that it could not end up being what I want, I guess in my previous career I was used to upward trajectory of promotions and clear career pathways, whereas there is only one role where I currently work that is a potential avenue for me - and that one unfortunately requires experience I dont have nor am likely to get in near future.

I think its the background to what has led to this that has caused my disappointment a little, in the time I have been there they have brought in six different people in this particular role who have then left shortly after - so I keep having to adjust to new managers, demonstrate my qualities only for me to start from scratch again when the next one starts. I thought they might try something different this time and look for continuity with existing staff as their previous approaches haven't worked.

You raise an excellent point about emailing him about my initial disappointment though, I will do that today. I remained calm and diplomatic and friendly but I think some of my answers were not well thought out regarding future.

I think what I will do is take on some shorter courses through the company like you suggested - things I can do in a year and I know they will fully fund. And look to fund a post grad myself without their help as I think this will give me more satisfaction longer term

• Like 1