Coworker acts like the town crier at work!

I've written my fair share about Chatty Cathy on here, but not for a while. Well she has gotten under my skin again. Another of my coworkers is going to Hawaii with her family this week. She and I have talked about it in the mornings before Chatty gets here so Chatty had no idea that she was taking this trip. At our group meeting this week the girl who is taking the trip reminded our manager that this Tuesday would be her last day for a week. Chatty immediately pipes up (apparently this was enough to get her to look up from playing on her iPhone!) and goes "Where are you going?" The girl tells her Hawaii and Chatty seemed very miffed that she didn't know about this. She asks her a few questions like where she'll be staying and how long she'll be gone and what she plans on doing. I kid you not, 10 minutes later you hear her telling another coworker in the kitchen that so and so is taking this trip and she's going here and will be gone this long. She is acting like she was the first to know about it and now she is telling everyone she sees that this is happening like they are just best buds. Even when another person comes up and asks the girl about her trip, Chatty will answer for her acting like she just knows ALL the details when all she was told is when she's leaving and how long she's staying.

Just like after I left work one day and I came into work the next morning and I had a voicemail on my phone. I didn't recognize the name or number and when I listened to it they had obviously called the wrong person. Well Chatty comes in and nearly the first thing out of her mouth is "Your desk phone rang after you left last night. You never get many calls so I looked on your phone to see who it was and I didn't recognize the name as it wasn't from work. It was Mark somebody". She went on for 5 minutes about it! Why are you in my desk area looking at MY phone?? So you can be the first to tell everyone that such and such called me??

I recommend calling Guido. For a small sum, Guido will take care of Chatty Cathy for you. Guido is in the travel business, specializing in short trips and water excursions.

• Like 3

Just like after I left work one day and I came into work the next morning and I had a voicemail on my phone. I didn't recognize the name or number and when I listened to it they had obviously called the wrong person. Well Chatty comes in and nearly the first thing out of her mouth is "Your desk phone rang after you left last night. You never get many calls so I looked on your phone to see who it was and I didn't recognize the name as it wasn't from work. It was Mark somebody". She went on for 5 minutes about it! Why are you in my desk area looking at MY phone?? So you can be the first to tell everyone that such and such called me??

Haha you are an amateur. I NEVER leave my phone on my desk. The guys I used to work with used to log into email accounts, instagram, etc pretending to be the person whose phone they got hold of. They caused all sorts of trouble.

You got off lightly. Never leave a phone on your desk and NEVER leave your computer unlocked.

• Like 1
  • Author
Haha you are an amateur. I NEVER leave my phone on my desk. The guys I used to work with used to log into email accounts, instagram, etc pretending to be the person whose phone they got hold of. They caused all sorts of trouble.

You got off lightly. Never leave a phone on your desk and NEVER leave your computer unlocked.

It wasn't my cell phone that she looked at, it was my desk phone. I wasn't about to unplug my desk phone from the wall and take it home with me :laugh:Someone was calling my work number. Even if the person isn't at their desk you don't go seeing who is calling them and/or pick up and answer it. It's none of your business! And then to come in and not even put her stuff down or sit in her chair before she says "Oh yeah someone called your phone last night, etc. like it was the biggest news and she had to let me know and everyone else know that she knew someone called me. My god, she even remembered the name that showed up on the phone!

• Like 1

Remind me why this bothers you, again?

Don't you have more important things to do at work, like... work?

• Like 3

This gal breathes and you are mad at her.

It may be useful for you to find out why you place so much value on allowing her to irritate you.

• Like 2
  • Author
Remind me why this bothers you, again?

Don't you have more important things to do at work, like... work?

So having her nose in your business of who is calling you and when wouldn't bother you? And oh yeah, I'm always done with my work....just waiting on her to finish her part so I can continue with my part! So while I'm sitting around waiting on her to get me work I have to listen to her when she's on her cell phone with her husband at her desk for 15 minutes having a conversation about what they will have for dinner that night and her telling him what she's "working" on (and she makes it sound like the hardest thing in the world!), or having to wait for her to go to the post office to drop off a package in the middle of the day and it takes her 30 minutes to get back when the post office is only 2 blocks away, or twiddling my thumbs while she has to leave in the middle of the day for 2 hours to go get her mother's silver appraised (which is what she's doing right now) then yeah, it bothers me!

So having her nose in your business of who is calling you and when wouldn't bother you? And oh yeah, I'm always done with my work....just waiting on her to finish her part so I can continue with my part! So while I'm sitting around waiting on her to get me work I have to listen to her when she's on her cell phone with her husband at her desk for 15 minutes having a conversation about what they will have for dinner that night and her telling him what she's "working" on (and she makes it sound like the hardest thing in the world!), or having to wait for her to go to the post office to drop off a package in the middle of the day and it takes her 30 minutes to get back when the post office is only 2 blocks away, or twiddling my thumbs while she has to leave in the middle of the day for 2 hours to go get her mother's silver appraised (which is what she's doing right now) then yeah, it bothers me!

Somewhere in your office, there is someone saying, "Wow, Mapper is just sitting there doing nothing."

Also, I've had plenty of people look at my work phone and tell me "X person called you." I don't see what the big deal is.

• Like 1

if all the workers think tne same as you, ok

but since the boss does not mind her, you must not argue, imo, they are having an affair, based on what you have said, for she does not ever bother turning in a full day's work, she just chats nearly all the time, almost inexplicable

• Author
Somewhere in your office, there is someone saying, "Wow, Mapper is just sitting there doing nothing."

Also, I've had plenty of people look at my work phone and tell me "X person called you." I don't see what the big deal is.

No I actually manage to look quite busy. AND I keep my mouth shut and don't let everyone know what I'm doing every second on my computer like SOME people!

• Author
if all the workers think tne same as you, ok

but since the boss does not mind her, you must not argue, imo, they are having an affair, based on what you have said, for she does not ever bother turning in a full day's work, she just chats nearly all the time, almost inexplicable

So she is married to her husband and having a lesbian affair with our manager who is also married to a man? Interesting!

• Like 1
  • Author

Why is who calls you at work anyone else's business? And why is it so important that she would have to be mention it before she has even been in the building 30 seconds??

nomadic_butterfly
I've written my fair share about Chatty Cathy on here, but not for a while. Well she has gotten under my skin again. Another of my coworkers is going to Hawaii with her family this week. She and I have talked about it in the mornings before Chatty gets here so Chatty had no idea that she was taking this trip. At our group meeting this week the girl who is taking the trip reminded our manager that this Tuesday would be her last day for a week. Chatty immediately pipes up (apparently this was enough to get her to look up from playing on her iPhone!) and goes "Where are you going?" The girl tells her Hawaii and Chatty seemed very miffed that she didn't know about this. She asks her a few questions like where she'll be staying and how long she'll be gone and what she plans on doing. I kid you not, 10 minutes later you hear her telling another coworker in the kitchen that so and so is taking this trip and she's going here and will be gone this long. She is acting like she was the first to know about it and now she is telling everyone she sees that this is happening like they are just best buds. Even when another person comes up and asks the girl about her trip, Chatty will answer for her acting like she just knows ALL the details when all she was told is when she's leaving and how long she's staying.

Ugh...cannot stand these types! it's none of her business and she had no reason to spy on your phone; if you were close friends or something, a bit different. But you're just cordial, if that!

No I actually manage to look quite busy. AND I keep my mouth shut and don't let everyone know what I'm doing every second on my computer like SOME people!

Hey, YOU said you sometimes sit around twiddling your thumbs. Not sure if that qualifies as "looking busy".

Why is who calls you at work anyone else's business? And why is it so important that she would have to be mention it before she has even been in the building 30 seconds??

Because if someone is calling me, it means they need help with something and if there is someone else around here that can, if I am not here, then they will. I just think no matter where you go, you will always find a "Chatty Cathy", regardless.

• Like 1
nomadic_butterfly
So she is married to her husband and having a lesbian affair with our manager who is also married to a man? Interesting!

LOL that is some juicy info!

A trip to Hawaii is fun. What's wrong with her telling people about a coworker going? Anytime someone at work is going on a trip, others will talk about it because we think it sounds fun. What is she doing wrong there again?

As far as the phone goes, when I'm away from my desk and someone else wants to see who's calling me, I don't care. It's my work phone so people call me for work related things. If someone sees that someone called, I don't mind at all.

You seem way too sensitive about this woman when there's probably a good chance she's not dwelling on you nearly as much.

Who cares?

Now it looks like you are the nosy one...

Just do the job you are paid to do.

When she tells you new info just say calmly "thanks".

And carry on with your work.

• Like 1
  • Author
Hey, YOU said you sometimes sit around twiddling your thumbs. Not sure if that qualifies as "looking busy".

Because if someone is calling me, it means they need help with something and if there is someone else around here that can, if I am not here, then they will. I just think no matter where you go, you will always find a "Chatty Cathy", regardless.

You ACTUALLY thought I was twiddling my thumbs??? Um, that's a metaphor for not being busy! Oh I can look ALL kinds of busy looking up spreadsheets and typing!

As far as the phone situation goes, 1) They got they wrong number and I had no idea who it was, 2) it wasn't even a work related issue, just someone saying they were running late due to traffic and 3) Nobody here answers anyone else's phone EVER because it's not for them! Even if it's the president of the U.S. calling, you don't answer someone else's phone because it's none of your business so there is no reason for you to be nosing around to see who is calling!

• Author
A trip to Hawaii is fun. What's wrong with her telling people about a coworker going? Anytime someone at work is going on a trip, others will talk about it because we think it sounds fun. What is she doing wrong there again?

Yes a trip IS fun, but the person who is going on it isn't saying a whole lot about it to anyone so why should this person, who just now heard about it be telling everyone what this person is going to be doing? If I'm not shouting from the mountaintop to my coworkers that I'm going to Hawaii then I certainly don't want another coworker going around telling everyone when I'm going, how long I'm staying, who is going with me, where I'm staying! She tells everyone when she gets just the SLIGHTEST bit of info on anyone so she can look like she's totally in the know and is the first to know EVERYTHING!

• Author
Who cares?

Now it looks like you are the nosy one...

Just do the job you are paid to do.

When she tells you new info just say calmly "thanks".

And carry on with your work.

Um, you do realize I just made up that scenario about lesbian affair right?Because someone else on here came up with the ridiculous notion that Chatty gets away with all this because they are having an affair?

Yes a trip IS fun, but the person who is going on it isn't saying a whole lot about it to anyone so why should this person, who just now heard about it be telling everyone what this person is going to be doing? If I'm not shouting from the mountaintop to my coworkers that I'm going to Hawaii then I certainly don't want another coworker going around telling everyone when I'm going, how long I'm staying, who is going with me, where I'm staying! She tells everyone when she gets just the SLIGHTEST bit of info on anyone so she can look like she's totally in the know and is the first to know EVERYTHING!

Then I assume your coworkers know she is like that and therefore wouldn't tell her anything they didn't want others to know. I'm not understanding the problem with this at all. It's not some false rumor she's spreading, she's just talking about someone's trip.

• Like 1
  • Author
Then I assume your coworkers know she is like that and therefore wouldn't tell her anything they didn't want others to know. I'm not understanding the problem with this at all. It's not some false rumor she's spreading, she's just talking about someone's trip.

No she isn't spreading any rumors but if it were me and I had told my manager in our weekly dept. meeting as a reminder that I was going to be gone for a week on a trip, I certainly wouldn't want Chatty to all of a sudden have an enormous interest in me and what I would be doing. Before the mention of this trip she could have cared less what was going on in this girl's life and in the meeting as she was playing with her iPhone but as as soon as she heard this girl was going on vacation she was all impertinent that SHE wasn't aware of this before now!

I chuckled when I read your posts. You realize your desk and whatever your employer provided are not yours, right? If you don't appreciate "Chatty Cathy" in your desk area, then you should ask her not to do that again. If whatever Chatty Cathy does (or doesn't do) affect your work, you should also communicate that to her. If she does not change, escalate to your manager.

So what if she wants to be "the town crier"? Are you secretly vying for that "post"? It seems like you are focusing a lot of attention on "Chatty Cathy". Why?

• Like 2
It wasn't my cell phone that she looked at, it was my desk phone. I wasn't about to unplug my desk phone from the wall and take it home with me :laugh:Someone was calling my work number. Even if the person isn't at their desk you don't go seeing who is calling them and/or pick up and answer it. It's none of your business! And then to come in and not even put her stuff down or sit in her chair before she says "Oh yeah someone called your phone last night, etc. like it was the biggest news and she had to let me know and everyone else know that she knew someone called me. My god, she even remembered the name that showed up on the phone!

It never even occurred to me that someone looking at your desk phone would make you mad? It's an office, people want to know why the phone is ringing. It's a business, it's not your private phone, how is the difference unclear?

I'm sorry but I think you are being completely unreasonable.

You ACTUALLY thought I was twiddling my thumbs??? Um, that's a metaphor for not being busy! Oh I can look ALL kinds of busy looking up spreadsheets and typing!

I know an expression when I read one.

Looking all busy looking up spreadsheets, and on LS posting about Chatty Cathy. Yep. Sure.

As far as the phone situation goes, 1) They got they wrong number and I had no idea who it was, 2) it wasn't even a work related issue, just someone saying they were running late due to traffic and 3) Nobody here answers anyone else's phone EVER because it's not for them! Even if it's the president of the U.S. calling, you don't answer someone else's phone because it's none of your business so there is no reason for you to be nosing around to see who is calling!

You said yourself, she didn't answer the phone, she just looked at the name. So this whole paragraph is about nothing.