When to look for other opportunities

I have been with my current job just over 8 months. I was working another part time job to make ends meet before and took this job as a second job. When the prior job ended, I got 30 hours a week at this job instead of 20, so it worked out. However, it seems like things are remaining stagnant. I left a job in 2013 that paid $12 an hour, because I was part time, had not one raise in 2 years and the place was small that there was no growth opportunities.I left that job for $20 an hour full time and unfortunately the next opportunity let me go after 3 months due to financial cutbacks. I moved out of the area and that's when I found the job before the one I am at now. That lasted about 6 months before they let me go due to lack of work. I'd like to stick with my current job for at least a year before considering other opportunities. At my 6 month review, I didn't get a raise due to spending too much personal time on the internet. (Have not done it since and there are no issues). However, that aside, my review was actually pretty good. They said I got things done quickly and that I was a good communicator and etc. I will have an annual review in another 4 months. I enjoy my job, it has a family feel and I'm getting some good experience in my field that I did not have before. I also work from home a few days a week, which is also nice. However, after being promised more hours on a few occasions and not getting any more hours, I am starting to wonder if I will ever be full time. 30 hours is sufficient enough for now, but not long term. I am a college graduate with nearly 4 years experience, so I hope I will be raised to $14 hourly at my next review. I enjoy my work and who I work with for the most part, but considering my qualifications, I believe I am underpaid. That said, I think it is reasonable to keep other opportunities in mind if things don't change at my next review. I would be pretty picky when it comes to my next opportunity for the above mentioned reasons. One of my colleagues just became full time after nearly 5 years with the company. I don't want to wait that long. I would like to buy a home within the next 5 years and my husband and I would like to get a new car next year since we share a 10 year old car that has racked up a lot of miles. I would also like to travel and most definitely have paid vacation time. I can't do this with where I am at financially right now. However, I don't want my resume to look as if I am jumping around and I want to give this job a chance, hence why I am waiting until the year mark before I consider other things. Thoughts?

Edited by pink_sugar

Ouch...

Given your history - as an ex-hiring manager - I'm not sure even a year would assure me that you would stay in a job, if offered.

I would stick it out and start networking the best you can. I think your best bet might be to find another job via networking, but to actually go out and submit résumés?

I'm sorry to say it but on paper, you don't look like a stable employee or a good bet. At 30 hours a week, how about getting another job? You want a house or a vacation? Work 50 or 60 hours a week for several years.

(And I'm not saying this to sound cruel.)

• Like 2
  • Author
Ouch...

Given your history - as an ex-hiring manager - I'm not sure even a year would assure me that you would stay in a job, if offered.

I would stick it out and start networking the best you can. I think your best bet might be to find another job via networking, but to actually go out and submit résumés?

I'm sorry to say it but on paper, you don't look like a stable employee or a good bet. At 30 hours a week, how about getting another job? You want a house or a vacation? Work 50 or 60 hours a week for several years.

Well my first professional job was 2 years long, I moved on in 2013 after receiving my degree needing full time work with advancement opportunities. Unfortunately the next place was having financial issues and had to let me go after 3 months. So then I was forced to take any job to make ends meet until I found something else. I worked a temp job and a remote contract job. While I was working the other part time position...I found this position and worked both jobs until they decided to let me go due to lack of work for me. (It was a small company and I was the only employee). I just don't want to be unhappy in a stagnant opportunity. It also seems like a lot of work these days is contract or temporary, so I wonder if that looks to employers as if the employee was jumping around? Because in those cases it can't really be helped if the person had to accept anything they could so they could pay bills until they found something permanent. Do unemployment gaps look better than several short term contracts? My husband is currently experiencing this because his contract of 4 months recently ended and is having to accept another contract position to pay the bills while he looks for something permanent. I do appreciate your perspective though. I will likely stick it out, but I might casually send out resumes if it's a position I would seriously consider resigning for because I don't want to resign just yet. The way my schedule is set up would only allow night time jobs or weekend jobs and those positions would be out of my field of work, which wouldn't really boost my resume. I might look into freelance work again. I did some freelance work on the side before while I was working my other part time positions and it helped with my resume and cash flow. :)

Edited by pink_sugar

I have been at my current job for two years working full-time and making a decent hourly rate (not $20). I went through a divorce six years ago and had to uproot and move to another part of the country. I have a bachelor's degree and years of regular sustained work experience. Before I got this job I held five other part-time jobs and worked 60 plus hours a week just to get by basically at minimum wage. In other words, nothing is going to be handed to you even if you do have a degree and lots of experience. Employers want people who they can trust and who will consistently show up - training is a huge expense to them. There is nothing wrong with looking around and seeing if something better is there but be careful with this idea that you are "under paid" because of your "qualifications." I try to live by this philosophy - "bloom where you are planted." I know it's not easy out there so my thoughts and prayers are with you. Be blessed!

Well my first professional job was 2 years long, I moved on in 2013 after receiving my degree needing full time work with advancement opportunities. Unfortunately the next place was having financial issues and had to let me go after 3 months. So then I was forced to take any job to make ends meet until I found something else. I worked a temp job and a remote contract job. While I was working the other part time position...I found this position and worked both jobs until they decided to let me go due to lack of work for me. (It was a small company and I was the only employee). I just don't want to be unhappy in a stagnant opportunity. It also seems like a lot of work these days is contract or temporary, so I wonder if that looks to employers as if the employee was jumping around? Because in those cases it can't really be helped if the person had to accept anything they could so they could pay bills until they found something permanent. Do unemployment gaps look better than several short term contracts? My husband is currently experiencing this because his contract of 4 months recently ended and is having to accept another contract position to pay the bills while he looks for something permanent. I do appreciate your perspective though. I will likely stick it out, but I might casually send out resumes if it's a position I would seriously consider resigning for because I don't want to resign just yet. The way my schedule is set up would only allow night time jobs or weekend jobs and those positions would be out of my field of work, which wouldn't really boost my resume. I might look into freelance work again. I did some freelance work on the side before while I was working my other part time positions and it helped with my resume and cash flow. :)

Regardless whether the additional job would be your field of work or not, Carrie is right, you need to stick it out. It's unrealistic to expect that a job is always fullfilling and never stagnant. Even those with professional qualifications and in senior positions go through years of being employed doing something they feel stuck in at some point in their career. Especially while younger.

You don't really have proper opportunities coming your way until you have been somewhere for a couple of years or have worked on a major project that got you noticed. You have to prove yourself. Employers also look for tenacity and resilience. Not someone that jumps ship because she is bored after 6 months.

I understand that it's hard working part-time but you should take another job somewhere else casually and fight this out. Especially as you got into trouble for internet use.

During my Master's work, I worked a job from 7:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. I then attended classes all afternoon (doing homework in between), and then worked at a bookstore from 6:00 p.m. until midnight.

Even those small, part-time jobs - whether or not they are in your field - show tenacity and an ethic of being willing to "do whatever needs to be done and go the extra mile." These jobs weren't in my field at all, but demonstrated my willingness to work hard.

OP, you can explain your short stints in this thread, but on a cursory glance of a resume across someone's desk, all it will show is an inability to stay somewhere - even though it is sometimes out of your hands. A second job, regardless of the field, would depict your desire to move and grow towards something better.

And to answer your question, several short-term jobs (listed as contract jobs on your resume) will always look better than gaps. It will look even better if they overlap.

• Author
And to answer your question, several short-term jobs (listed as contract jobs on your resume) will always look better than gaps. It will look even better if they overlap.

On some good news, my husband just found a full time permanent position and was offered a job today, so I think I in part made this post due to be tired of the constant financial strains (both of us not being able to find stable work over the last year or dealing with job instability the past several years). I think with both of us having stable positions in an affordable area, we'll still be able to do the things we'd like to accomplish over time, such as travel an a house without feeling like I have to find another job. I enjoy where I work and the company, so I will stick it out right now and possibly look for some additional freelance work to supplement income if I need to until my hours increase. With the way my current work hours are set, it would be very difficult to find another employer who would be willing to work with such limited availability...especially since my husband and I have to share one car right now. Plus it might affect may performance at my current job and I don't want to leave another employer high and dry so quickly in the event my current job decides to offer more hours. I definitely will be browsing Elance though.

I will say 3 years is the time to start looking for other opportunities and we are almost in the same situation.

My last job..........10 months

Job before that...............2 years

So I really want to stay at this job for 5 years. But I would say you can start looking elsewhere once you reach 3 years

• Author
I will say 3 years is the time to start looking for other opportunities and we are almost in the same situation.

My last job..........10 months

Job before that...............2 years

So I really want to stay at this job for 5 years. But I would say you can start looking elsewhere once you reach 3 years

I'd say 2 years is the max I would stay somewhere with no hourly increase or raise during that time, especially since I make so little and know I can make more. I was in a situation like that before and I moved on once I finished school since the job would never go anywhere and it was damaging my morale.

I'd say 2 years is the max I would stay somewhere with no hourly increase or raise during that time, especially since I make so little and know I can make more. I was in a situation like that before and I moved on once I finished school since the job would never go anywhere and it was damaging my morale.

2 to 3 years sounds about right so I guess you can start looking in the fall of 2016.

• Author

After much thought, I have decided to return to grad school next year. I will stick out this job until I have my MBA. At that time, the combination of a degree in my field that is more focused and my experience will allow me to have a well paying career and not just a job. I'm really excited and I'm more confident about the path I am on.:)

Ouch...

It really depends.

If the company is desperate for people, then they'll probably overlook her job hopping. I honestly don't think that job hopping is quite the factor that it used to be. The reality is that employers in certain fields can be extremely selective - if she were applying for a job with some major accounting firm or something like that, then she'd have a problem. But in a lot of other fields, they're understaffed. That's the reality.

In any case, good luck Pink.

• Like 2
After much thought, I have decided to return to grad school next year. I will stick out this job until I have my MBA. At that time, the combination of a degree in my field that is more focused and my experience will allow me to have a well paying career and not just a job. I'm really excited and I'm more confident about the path I am on.:)

Make sure an MBA is what you want. Make sure you know what you're going to do with the degree. It's an extremely expensive "investment" that doesn't always pay off, and you're obligated to pay student debt. You can't even discharge it in bankruptcy. It's the one debt that can leave a person living under a bridge.

• Like 1
  • Author
Make sure an MBA is what you want. Make sure you know what you're going to do with the degree. It's an extremely expensive "investment" that doesn't always pay off, and you're obligated to pay student debt. You can't even discharge it in bankruptcy. It's the one debt that can leave a person living under a bridge.

I have student loan debt from my bachelors and have been managing it pretty well with an income based repayment plan, but it is a general business degree, whereas my MBA would be in Marketing which would look great along with my Marketing experience in order to get me higher up into that field where I want to be. A lot of employers have asked if my degree is in Marketing when job hunting. So I really do think it would look impressive with a degree and experience. By the time I go back to school, I will have about 5 years professional experience in the field. :)

Edited by pink_sugar
I have student loan debt from my bachelors and have been managing it pretty well with an income based repayment plan, but it is a general business degree, whereas my MBA would be in Marketing which would look great along with my Marketing experience in order to get me higher up into that field where I want to be. A lot of employers have asked if my degree is in Marketing when job hunting. So I really do think it would look impressive with a degree and experience. By the time I go back to school, I will have about 5 years professional experience in the field. :)

I would avoid paying the obscene amount of money for a masters based on an assumption that it might look good on a resume. What employers want are people with proven skills and track records. The networking might actually be the biggest benefit of school, but you can network in other ways. I'm not saying don't get an MBA, but be realistic about its long-term value and the ways it can be of benefit to you.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
tuxedo cat

Of course I'm not a hiring manager but I half disagree with CarrieT's advice.

I think a lot of people stay at unsatisfying jobs too long because of complacency or fear, and it's always good to be looking ahead. I agree that you're seriously underpaid. $12 an hour is barely above minimum wage, and their reason for not giving you a raise sounds like BS.

I suggest that you try to stick it out at this job for another six months, BUT in the meantime you spend most of your free time figuring out how you're going to move on. That means updating your resume and cover letter, learning any skills you need, researching the field and networking like crazy.

Then in a few months, you'll be ready to hit the trigger and start job hunting.

• Like 1

pink_sugar: If an MBA will yield a large financial return after your household bills and student loan payments are covered, then go for it. But as someone who spent a FORTUNE on financial aid to get her masters degree, who spent 2 years scrambling to find stable work...then do it.

Otherwise, I don't think the MBA is worth the financial hassle. If you stay put and work there for minimum 3 years, you can: network for a job in your chosen field that pays well, send out resumes and do interviews over your lunch hour, and have financial stability.

It's good fortune that your husband found a full-time job. But I think you seriously need to reconsider your MBA path because you'll be adding on to your current student loan repayments (although income based). Do you really want to add an extra $50-75K to your debt? If not, go the old-school way and work your way to the top via social networking, freelance work on the side since you have the time (with only a 30 hour a week job).

I really think if you focused on building your own freelance portfolio with clients on the side and kept your full-time job, you're better off financially down the road.

Although I am repaying my student loans with income-based-repayment, since I'm single I can't buy a house or even a good used car. The fact that I'm taking a much-needed trip this summer is because I scrimped and saved, so that I could reward myself with something nice in my life.

Don't jump into an MBA until you've completely explored other ways to advance your own career that won't cost you more financial aid debt. If you and your husband want to buy a house, buy a new car, plan for a family, then seriously think about how adding MBA debt to your lives (even if you were to get a better job with the MBA) will impact you long-term.

• Like 1

If you have a lot of free time in this job to spend so much time on the Internet, then they probably don't have more than 30 hours of work to give you. This explains why you haven't been given full-time hours.

Do you take initiative at work and start working on things without being told first? If not, you really should. This is a huge plus in the eyes of an employer.

• Author
pink_sugar
pink_sugar: If an MBA will yield a large financial return after your household bills and student loan payments are covered, then go for it. But as someone who spent a FORTUNE on financial aid to get her masters degree, who spent 2 years scrambling to find stable work...then do it.

Otherwise, I don't think the MBA is worth the financial hassle. If you stay put and work there for minimum 3 years, you can: network for a job in your chosen field that pays well, send out resumes and do interviews over your lunch hour, and have financial stability.

It's good fortune that your husband found a full-time job. But I think you seriously need to reconsider your MBA path because you'll be adding on to your current student loan repayments (although income based). Do you really want to add an extra $50-75K to your debt? If not, go the old-school way and work your way to the top via social networking, freelance work on the side since you have the time (with only a 30 hour a week job).

I really think if you focused on building your own freelance portfolio with clients on the side and kept your full-time job, you're better off financially down the road.

Although I am repaying my student loans with income-based-repayment, since I'm single I can't buy a house or even a good used car. The fact that I'm taking a much-needed trip this summer is because I scrimped and saved, so that I could reward myself with something nice in my life.

Don't jump into an MBA until you've completely explored other ways to advance your own career that won't cost you more financial aid debt. If you and your husband want to buy a house, buy a new car, plan for a family, then seriously think about how adding MBA debt to your lives (even if you were to get a better job with the MBA) will impact you long-term.

This past week, I recently got contacted by a recruiter for a contract position for a large fortune 500 tech company. The position paid $75k a year. When I spoke with the recruiter, she said the advertising salary would be for someone with an MBA in my field, so she would submit me for a slightly lower wage since I have BS. I understand a lot of people have a hard time finding jobs with a master's degree, but I have done a lot of research that shows that people who hold an MBA in my field have a high overall satisfaction rate. Plus I strongly believe the combination of years of experience in my field with an MBA focused in my field of work would get me into leadership opportunities...since that is primarily the reason people get an MBA. If you're not looking to get into a leadership position or start your own company, an MBA probably wouldn't be beneficial. But I am very confident it will get me where I need to go. The cost of an MBA at the school I am returning to is about $32k, which isn't too steep compared to a lot of other Master's programs. I will be paying off some other debt before returning to school. One would be our car loan and the next loan will be in my husband's name. I don't plan to secure another car loan or mortgage until well after I complete my degree and have a much better paying position.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Author
pink_sugar
If you have a lot of free time in this job to spend so much time on the Internet, then they probably don't have more than 30 hours of work to give you. This explains why you haven't been given full-time hours.

Do you take initiative at work and start working on things without being told first? If not, you really should. This is a huge plus in the eyes of an employer.

No, they are just being cheap, which is very common with a lot of employers. This past week, they have dumped a ton more work on me with the same working hours, which made it impossible for me to complete everything by the deadlines. If they give me any issues with it, I will tell them straight up that I need more working hours to complete all these extra projects.

This past week, I recently got contacted by a recruiter for a contract position for a large fortune 500 tech company. The position paid $75k a year. When I spoke with the recruiter, she said the advertising salary would be for someone with an MBA in my field, so she would submit me for a slightly lower wage since I have BS. I understand a lot of people have a hard time finding jobs with a master's degree, but I have done a lot of research that shows that people who hold an MBA in my field have a high overall satisfaction rate. Plus I strongly believe the combination of years of experience in my field with an MBA focused in my field of work would get me into leadership opportunities...since that is primarily the reason people get an MBA. If you're not looking to get into a leadership position or start your own company, an MBA probably wouldn't be beneficial. But I am very confident it will get me where I need to go. The cost of an MBA at the school I am returning to is about $32k, which isn't too steep compared to a lot of other Master's programs. I will be paying off some other debt before returning to school. One would be our car loan and the next loan will be in my husband's name. I don't plan to secure another car loan or mortgage until well after I complete my degree and have a much better paying position.

I'm sure a lot of people with MBA have high satisfaction rate in their jobs but you have to be able to get those jobs in the first place, pink sugar. You don't have years of experience. You worked somewhere for a couple of years then did part time work in several places for short periods of time. You don't just add up 2 years here 4 months there and 8 months somewhere else and count it as 3 years. You actually have to stick it out and have real, continuous experience.

I don't know what your field is but in every field you compete with many others, when someone has a Masters or an MBA, you still compete with many others who also have work experience.

Not having substantial work experience is what is stopping you. It is extremely unlikely that you would get picked against a candidate that has the same qualifications as you AND worked for a good company for 5 years. I'm not even sure how you know that this is what you want to do long term when you haven't spent a substantial amount of time in one place getting in depth knowledge and understanding.

• Like 1
  • Author
pink_sugar
I'm sure a lot of people with MBA have high satisfaction rate in their jobs but you have to be able to get those jobs in the first place, pink sugar. You don't have years of experience. You worked somewhere for a couple of years then did part time work in several places for short periods of time. You don't just add up 2 years here 4 months there and 8 months somewhere else and count it as 3 years. You actually have to stick it out and have real, continuous experience.

I don't know what your field is but in every field you compete with many others, when someone has a Masters or an MBA, you still compete with many others who also have work experience.

Not having substantial work experience is what is stopping you. It is extremely unlikely that you would get picked against a candidate that has the same qualifications as you AND worked for a good company for 5 years. I'm not even sure how you know that this is what you want to do long term when you haven't spent a substantial amount of time in one place getting in depth knowledge and understanding.

I have been doing this type of work consistently for nearly 4 years. A lot of people have to take temp or contract work nowadays, because a lot of employers just want part time, temp or contract employees. That is out of my hands. Sometimes that is all that is available, especially if you're in the tech industry where most positions are contract. It's more and more common now that people have had to work several places, just because of the way the job market is evolving and leaning towards contract and temp roles. And I know what I want to do because I have been doing this type of work consistently for several years and do not see myself doing anything else. It wasn't my choice to jump role to role. My first professional position lasted 2 years and I moved on to another position to which I hoped to remain long term after getting my BS degree. I didn't expect them to go bankrupt 3 months into my employment with them. When I was on unemployment, I took whatever position I could find in my field that I was offered first, even though it was only part time, because I thought THAT would better than staying unemployed for several months. While at that position, I worked contract roles and temp roles because I DID want to be there a while. Unfortunately, it was a new position and they decided they weren't getting enough work for me after 6 months. But thankfully, I had another job (my current one) on the side, which I have been at nearly 1 year. By the time I complete my degree, I will have been at this job over 3 years, which I think would be a reasonable amount of time before I move on to something else since this is a small company with little advancement opportunities.

JustAddIce

Can you still get that F500 job without your MBA? (By the way, paying $75K for someone with an MBA is a little low. If I remember correctly, you live somewhere on the west coast?) If yes, I would suggest that you get your foot in the door, prove to your employer that you are worth their investment, then ask them to foot the bill (tuition + books) for your MBA. I took that route. My then employer paid for most of my masters degrees. Yes, even nowadays, some employers still pay for their employees to go back to school. The employer may require the employee to sign an agreement to stay with them for a set number of years or pay back a certain amount. It will not be easy to work full time while maintaining a minimum 3.0 GPA but it is one of the cheapest ways to obtain an advanced degree. You do NOT have to be in debt to obtain your MBA – unless you decide to apply for Stanford, Harvard, Wharton or the likes.

For a lot of employers, school pedigree is important. Does the school you plan to attend have a good reputation with the local employers? Do they have a good MBA placement record? Do they require high GMAT score? (If you are going to relocate later in life, you may want to attend the highest ranked biz school you can afford and get accepted). I agree with the poster above who said networking may be the biggest benefit of obtaining an MBA. Better schools tend to attract higher caliber students. Higher caliber students attract employers who offer high paying jobs.

No, having an MBA does not mean you will get into a leadership position. Are you a go-getter? Are you perceived as a leader? Stuff like that tends to be more important than having an MBA. Why? If you are perceived to be a leader already, your employer will pay to send you back to school if the position being obtained requires an MBA.

Think long term. If you can make the sacrifices now for a better future, I would say go for it. Good luck.