How to find remote work and/or bring it up during interview

venusinlibra

I figured the best way to conceal my disability and avoid future discrimination is to work from home. I can suck it up for one or two days per week in an office, but no more. Prolonged sitting and minimal driving in stop and go traffic make my disability worse.

I received a job offer but they are adamant about no remote work. I saw the EEOC also sued them for discrimination and retaliation, and I currently have eight EEOC charges open with my current employer, which may be settled for good this week.

I specialize in IT and truly see no reason for going into an office to work. Other than flexjobs.com how can I suss out remote options? I hate wasting my time only to discover that remote work is not available.

I also need flexible hours. I could be in an office more days per week if I could do four ten-hour days....the commute is what kills me and makes my disability obvious.

Have you considered working with a lawyer versed in the ADA, so you can negotiate for the accommodations you need?

• Like 2
  • Author
venusinlibra

I have one already. In my experience, asking for any type of accommodation always leads to bad things. I was perfect employee, then within hours of requesting temporary accommodations, was discriminated against. Best to not ask and work remotely so they don't know. I can't deal with anymore EEOC charges.

I would look into occupations that are primarily work from home ones. I do internet marketing and a lot of those positions can be home based (or independent contract work) or like me, where you work from home just a few days per week. You might want to think about opening your own business...which is so much better than working for someone anyways.

• Like 1
  • Author
venusinlibra

My occupation and field is known for remote options, it's just finding them that is difficult. Can anyone think of how to determine from posting how to find out? I have trouble bringing it up during the interview also. Too soon, and I could turn them off, whereas if I find out the answer is no too late, then I've wasted my time.

• Like 1
imtooconfused

The remote jobs are out there, but hard to find. My company does remote work almost exclusively. I have never met most of the employees I have hired and wouldn't know if they have a disability, except for a lack of ability in getting the job done (which is the most important job retention factor).

• Like 2
  • Author
venusinlibra

This gives me hope. Are you able to say the name of your company or provide a hint? I'm convinced that remote work is my best option to avoid discrimination. I just spoke to my lawyer and he agreed with me.