Has anyone got a job offer weeks after final interview?

hearttopieces

I had two interviews last month and still waiting to hear back.

It's been 3 and a half weeks since the 2nd interview.

The waiting game is killing me, looks like I am not ready to give up just yet. I really really want this job. I am hopeful because the hiring process has been extremely slow anyway. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it possible to get an offer after 4 weeks of waiting? :o

Is this a large company or a small one? Have they explained to you why it's been so slow?

Best thing you can do is reach out to your interviewer (you did ask for a business card, right?) and politely ask.

But after 3 and a half weeks... my guess is they are not interested. A company that is interested in a candidate will make an offer ASAP... otherwise they risk losing out and they know it.

• Like 1
  • Author
hearttopieces

Thanks for replying. It is a large international company. My brain is telling me they probably have someone in training already. But there is a tiny bit of hope too as I have not received a regret email yet.

Thanks for replying. It is a large international company. My brain is telling me they probably have someone in training already. But there is a tiny bit of hope too as I have not received a regret email yet.

Vast majority of times there's no email or notification to let you know they chose someone else. They assume their silence is enough.

My first few professional jobs left me hanging for a week or two after the final interview and I did not hear from them until I got on the phone and asked what the status was. Sometimes vacations and can extend wait times. In my case when I called they gave me an estimate of when they would chose the candidate by and I got the job. The other one was more of me convincing them that I am ready and want to start the job asap. Those jobs did not hire me on the spot and most do not these days since it is an employer's market. Most employers will want to interview a handful of people before making a decision.

Have you chased it up at all?

There once was a time that it took me 4 weeks to hire a #2 candidate.

We offered the job to #1 immediately. #1 counter-offered with a much higher salary requirement. It was discussed, to be brought down lower. Another counter-offer, still too high. We walked away. What was initially discussed as the range, became the floor for salary negotiations for this person and we just weren't going to do that.

This process took about 3 weeks.

We looked back at the other candidates. Went with #2.

But so far in my professional life as a hiring manager, it has never taken me that long to reach out to an ideal candidate unless their HR department is in that much of a hiring frenzy.

You should have reached out by now to them.

Eternal Sunshine

It is possible if you are not their first choice. In my experience, all offers were made in under 48 hours from the final interview.

The waiting game is killing me, looks like I am not ready to give up just yet. I really really want this job. I am hopeful because the hiring process has been extremely slow anyway. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it possible to get an offer after 4 weeks of waiting? :o

Based on my personal experiences, I went for a few final round interviews at different organizations, waited for 1 month plus and I heard nothing from them.

(I usually would email a thank you e-mail after interview and a follow up after about 10 days, also heard nothing)

From what I know, if they really find you a good fit and want you, they will grab you asap. Otherwise, it can be due to the different levels of management and that probably takes up sometimes to finally get the green light.

Perhaps, you may wish to contact them to ask about the progress. My advice is, don't pin too high hopes in this.

• Like 1
Banker Chick

My company has been in the process of hiring an accounting assistant for the past month. It's been tough for us to make a final decision and we ultimately decided to hire 2 people. We hired one we like a lot but then we got busy with trade shows, customer visits, etc. and hiring the second person has languished a little. Today we discussed a few of the candidates and who we still liked. One has continued to follow up and one we didn't hear anything after she came in for the second interview. It's tough to not gravitate toward the one that has continually followed up and expressed interest. Hopefully you've at least reached out to them to find out if the position was filled.

• Author
hearttopieces

Thank you for all your comments, they are much appreciated. :)

Just a quick update. At the moment I am still waiting to hear. For those of you who asked, I did follow up around two weeks post-interview and asked how things were going. Unfortunately my email was never replied to. I did think about sending another email to a different manager but eventually decided not to.

I did however read through the company's official careers site on linkedin. It seems it is their policy not to update applicants / communicate anything about the (very slow) hiring process until a decision is made.

I have also been in contact with another applicant who made it through to the 2nd interview. She hasn't heard anything either.

It has been more than 4 weeks now and I understand I most likely did not get this one. Still I hope they will let me know so that I can have some sort of a closure.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
hearttopieces

Hello everyone, so a quick update.

I still have not heard anything officially BUT my online application status has today changed to "unsuccessful". That's exactly 6 weeks after the 2nd interview.

Just wanted to share this in case someone reads the thread in the future.

I am quite disappointed though as this is a very reputable and huge international company. I guess I expected better communication. Oh well. :o

Good luck to everyone interviewing.

• Like 1
scooby-philly

Just to follow up/close-out this chain.

Sorry you did not get the job. It's tougher when you have your heart set on it. However, hopefully the process will only strengthen you - the interviewing that is, not the rejection...

I've worked for large, international companies, medium size cross-usa companies, and as an contractor. All of my positions sit within the HR function, though not with recruitment. From my own interview and job experience and from my work with recruiters on various projects, there plate are pretty full and things are messy. There's a number of factors that go into how long it takes. If the position is critical then they'll respond quickly. If the department/team has the budget but is afraid of losing if they odn't quickly fill the "req" then they'll move quickly. Likewise if the hiring person or leader has authority and pull and you're the top candidate. However, even in those instance variations such as schedules, priority of reqs on a recruiters lap, etc. Plus each company - internal or external, has it own process and culture which a recruiter must learn - but unfortunately lots of folks in business are only out for themselves.

I was brought in by an executive search firm for a manager position at a retail type company. Interviewed with external recruiter - went well. interviewd on site with director (boss) and HR SVP - both went well. It was a 6 week game after that. Apparently the other guy that made it to the in-person round flopped so bad they went back to this search firm to find more "candidates". That was an immediate sign that I wasn't strong enough in their minds. Though they follow, like most mid-large companies, certain processes, they could have forgone the formality if I was liked/good match.

8 months before that I spent two months going through the process for what was supposed to be a "full-time" job only to have it start as a contract so they could bring me on board quickly and not worry about doing all the stuff necessary to create a new "position" and budget for it. My gut that time told me it would be a circus - it was a system implementaiton project, and that's what it was. they didn't have anyone else doing what I was doing and the project was so fouled up that they actually fired a VP and a PM before i got there and then after 6 months they put the projcet on hold because of the delays and cost. Suffice to say if they don't respond in a timely manner don't expect an offer and if they do off, don't accept it. People prove what they want and what's important through action.

• Like 1

Yes my last two jobs I was able to get job offers weeks after the final interview.

Current Job...........Verbal Job Offer came 5 weeks after final interview

Previous Job...........Verbal Offer came 3 weeks after final interview

Best thing you can do is reach out to your interviewer (you did ask for a business card, right?) and politely ask.

But after 3 and a half weeks... my guess is they are not interested. A company that is interested in a candidate will make an offer ASAP... otherwise they risk losing out and they know it.

Not always the case, my current job called 5 weeks after final interview.

Not always the case, my current job called 5 weeks after final interview.

Five weeks? To me, that says that you were the second or perhaps third choice, and they spent the first five weeks negotiating with the other candidates.

I am starting a new job tomorrow. I had the phone interview on a Friday, the in-person interview on Tuesday, and that same day their HR person called me with an offer. Since it was after business hours (!), I didn't see the call and it went to voicemail. First thing the next morning, they called back and made the offer. We went back and forth a couple of times while negotiating the offer. Done.

This has been my experience for the last four jobs I've held. Same for my husband.

Five weeks? To me, that says that you were the second or perhaps third choice, and they spent the first five weeks negotiating with the other candidates.

I am starting a new job tomorrow. I had the phone interview on a Friday, the in-person interview on Tuesday, and that same day their HR person called me with an offer. Since it was after business hours (!), I didn't see the call and it went to voicemail. First thing the next morning, they called back and made the offer. We went back and forth a couple of times while negotiating the offer. Done.

This has been my experience for the last four jobs I've held. Same for my husband.

I don;t think so because probation is 3 months and then you have to take a test. So the fact that my interview was on 11/4 and I was called on 12/9 it means that the hiring process was slow

Eternal Sunshine
I don;t think so because probation is 3 months and then you have to take a test. So the fact that my interview was on 11/4 and I was called on 12/9 it means that the hiring process was slow

What does probation have to do with anything? My probation was 6 months and I still got called within 48 hours of the interview.

• Like 1
What does probation have to do with anything? My probation was 6 months and I still got called within 48 hours of the interview.

Try and follow me

My interview was in the first week of November. They called me the second week of December. If they chose someone else they would never have called me because probation at this agency is 90 days and then you have to take a test.

Just like the woman who started in March, her probation ends on June 3rd and that;s when it;s determined if you will remain there. So they don't get rid of anyone while they are on probabtion

Try and follow me

My interview was in the first week of November. They called me the second week of December. If they chose someone else they would never have called me because probation at this agency is 90 days and then you have to take a test.

Just like the woman who started in March, her probation ends on June 3rd and that;s when it;s determined if you will remain there. So they don't get rid of anyone while they are on probabtion

Probation is irrelevant, as that begins AFTER the candidate accepts the position. The point I was trying to make is that they may have selected other candidates before you and they fell through for any reason. They could have become unavailable (ie hired by someone else), or the negotiations fell through, etc.

Five weeks from interview day is ridiculous. I've never spent that long in a job search, let alone waiting to hear from one company alone!

Probation is irrelevant, as that begins AFTER the candidate accepts the position. The point I was trying to make is that they may have selected other candidates before you and they fell through for any reason. They could have become unavailable (ie hired by someone else), or the negotiations fell through, etc.

Five weeks from interview day is ridiculous. I've never spent that long in a job search, let alone waiting to hear from one company alone!

Well I gave up on the job because it was a long time but you have to remember around November and December take vacation days so that may slow the hiring process.

• 3 weeks later...
scooby-philly

I think you bring up a good point - which is when is it the final interview? If you don't have a lot of experience in corporate you may not realize when it is or isn't the "final interview".

That said, the issue is also what does the recruiter promise? You should never leave an interview without getting details on the next steps from them or the hiring manager - clear details - timeframe, who does what, do they need or want anything, etc.

And to the original post's question - will it happen - of course, but as several people said - even with vacations, holidays, etc. if you're #1 they'll call you. If you're #1 and it's slow process and you reach out, they'll reach back to let you know. Again, people put their money where their mouth is

So they don't get rid of anyone while they are on probabtion

Yes of course they do. It's in your contract how much notice you have to give each other during this period. It happens all the time.

Yes of course they do. It's in your contract how much notice you have to give each other during this period. It happens all the time.

In most of the US, no notice at all necessary, due to "at will" employment. An employee can be dismissed for any reason (that is, without having to establish "just cause" for termination), and without warning.