Facing backlash after marking down during peer review

Penguin_hugs

Hi I posted the following comment in a thread about group work the other day

"Do you not get given the opportunity for peer review? On my course we fill out score cards for each group member which is a fairer way to do it.

I gave someone a low mark because they missed meetings, left early, went for frequent breaks, never completed the work in between meetings etc- and other people had to do her part. Then they had the cheek to say that we should all give each other full marks!

I'm of the opinion now though that I'm not going to let people get "free" good grades off me now"

Except now the marks are out and the person has found out that they have a lower mark. I know I wasn't the only one to mark them down but now I am feeling really awkward.

The person sent round a message like "thanks to whoever marked me down- next time talk to me"- but the whole point is the review is anonymous. Maybe I should have spoken to her- but she's a very difficult person to talk to. I left the message thread at the time because I was busy with other things and didn't want to get involved. Now in retrospect that was a bit silly because now it is more obvious that I was involved. The other person I know of that marked them down didn't receive the message.

Now another group member has started posting how upset and disappointed they are that people marked others down. Part of me feels guilty and part of me doesn't because this person did not do their fair share of work and it's unfair on the rest of the group.

I thought it would be fine as I won't be seeing this person for long (only 4 exams left of the degree), but I have just noticed that I have to be in a holding room after an exam with the person I marked down for an hour :(

I don't know what to do if she confronts me :( Do I deny knowledge? Or state why I marked her down?

Two questions:

1) HAVE you tried talking to her before about how she wasn't pulling her fair share?

2) You said she suggested everyone giving each other full marks, what was your response when she said that? Did you just nod along with everyone else?

Honestly, I DO think you should have said something to her prior to the review, especially in situation #2. It feels rather duplicitous to me, if you had actually agreed to give everyone full marks and then marked her down after that. On the other hand, if you weren't informed of this apparent 'decision' to mark everyone up or didn't have the opportunity to respond, or if you had talked to her about her work ethic before and she fobbed you off, then you are in the right.

All said and done, I think that IF she confronts you, you should answer honestly and state why you marked her down. Otherwise just let things be IMO. This bridge is unlikely to be rebuilt, but you don't need to get in a confrontation in an exam holding room (of all places!) about it.

• Like 1
  • Author
Penguin_hugs
Two questions:

1) HAVE you tried talking to her before about how she wasn't pulling her fair share?

2) You said she suggested everyone giving each other full marks, what was your response when she said that? Did you just nod along with everyone else?

Honestly, I DO think you should have said something to her prior to the review, especially in situation #2. It feels rather duplicitous to me, if you had actually agreed to give everyone full marks and then marked her down after that. On the other hand, if you weren't informed of this apparent 'decision' to mark everyone up or didn't have the opportunity to respond, or if you had talked to her about her work ethic before and she fobbed you off, then you are in the right.

All said and done, I think that IF she confronts you, you should answer honestly and state why you marked her down. Otherwise just let things be IMO. This bridge is unlikely to be rebuilt, but you don't need to get in a confrontation in an exam holding room (of all places!) about it.

I didn't specifically say anything to her- as it was more of an overall review- like full marks if the person attended every meeting, lose one if they were late, lose 2 if they missed some etc- she was also not present during the majority of meetings and this is backed up in meeting minutes.

I did mention to her that she needed to complete her work before meetings in future and she did not do this. Our meeting minutes do also state that she had the same task every week with the deadline for the next week.

I did not reply when she started talking about giving everyone full marks- she was discussing it with other group members and I overheard.

I don't intend on rebuilding a bridge with her- I was never her friend anyway- and her work ethic was very poor. I only ever have to see her for another few days.

Thankyou for your advice. In retrospect I probably should have said more to her during meetings- but I tend to avoid confrontation and she is very intimidating.

I'm just hoping she doesn't confront me in the holding room

I didn't specifically say anything to her- as it was more of an overall review- like full marks if the person attended every meeting, lose one if they were late, lose 2 if they missed some etc- she was also not present during the majority of meetings and this is backed up in meeting minutes.

I did mention to her that she needed to complete her work before meetings in future and she did not do this. Our meeting minutes do also state that she had the same task every week with the deadline for the next week.

I did not reply when she started talking about giving everyone full marks- she was discussing it with other group members and I overheard.

I don't intend on rebuilding a bridge with her- I was never her friend anyway- and her work ethic was very poor. I only ever have to see her for another few days.

Thankyou for your advice. In retrospect I probably should have said more to her during meetings- but I tend to avoid confrontation and she is very intimidating.

I'm just hoping she doesn't confront me in the holding room

This sounds fine to me, then - if she had never talked to you about giving everyone full marks and thus you had no opportunity to disagree, AND you had tried to talk to her about her work before... this is on her, not you. Don't let her intimidate you - look her in the eye and say that you did try asking her to complete her work, and that if she had wanted everyone to give each other full marks she should have talked to EVERYONE about it, not just a select few people.

Good luck! Exams are tough enough without anticipating annoying confrontations in the holding room.

• Like 1

As long as you communicated to her during the project that her contribution was unsatisfactory and they still didn't improve. Only then can I see a bad mark is justified. But if you never bothered to say anything...which I have had happen to me several times in group projects, I can see why they would be shocked.

No one should be allowed to review their same level because they are competing against those people for promotions, etc. That's what supervisors are supposed to be for. In any group, there will be the buddies who stick together and lie for each other, the ones who lie to make someone look bad, and the ones who are just honest. I'd protest the system.

• Like 2