At what point does being fired from a job no longer matter?

I was fired a couple of years ago and was lucky enough to find another job in only 60 days. Part of the reason was I put "Job Ended" as my reason for leaving and not fired or terminated. I was never asked about it during the interview for the job I have now and was able to pass the background check and get hired.

So if I stay at this job for 4-5 years would that job I was fired from in 2013 matter anymore since it's not my previous job?

I was technically fired/terminated in 2013 (after only 3 months too) and had no issue finding another job. I think the reason you were let go matters more than whether or not you quit or were fired. Plenty of people get fired and are able to find other jobs...just so long as you were doing something like stealing or walking off the job.

• Like 1
  • Author
I was technically fired/terminated in 2013 (after only 3 months too) and had no issue finding another job. I think the reason you were let go matters more than whether or not you quit or were fired. Plenty of people get fired and are able to find other jobs...just so long as you were doing something like stealing or walking off the job.

It was for violating the internet policy but the fact that I would have another job after that for 4 or more years so just overshadow with no problem.

You don't even have to list it really if you are at your current job for that long. Also the reason behind the fire would matter, if it wasn't something illegal or very serious, it won't matter too much.

• Author
You don't even have to list it really if you are at your current job for that long. Also the reason behind the fire would matter, if it wasn't something illegal or very serious, it won't matter too much.

I'm just surprised it didn't come up with this job since it is connected to the state and involved a full background check. I'm thinking what saved me is the supervisor for that job agreeing to be a reference even though I was fired.

I'm just surprised it didn't come up with this job since it is connected to the state and involved a full background check. I'm thinking what saved me is the supervisor for that job agreeing to be a reference even though I was fired.

Very likely. One of my old jobs, the company had actually shut down, but I was still in contact with one of the supervisors. I just told him what my work history period was and salary, and background check contacted him so he was able to match what I had told the company I was applying for (which was all correct).

Background checks can vary in how detailed they are, a lot of them depend on what the applicant provides. There isn't like a database that hold everyone's work history, at best, getting your tax documents would reveal something like that, and even than, some companies use payroll services that it wouldn't match!

• Like 2
  • Author
Very likely. One of my old jobs, the company had actually shut down, but I was still in contact with one of the supervisors. I just told him what my work history period was and salary, and background check contacted him so he was able to match what I had told the company I was applying for (which was all correct).

Background checks can vary in how detailed they are, a lot of them depend on what the applicant provides. There isn't like a database that hold everyone's work history, at best, getting your tax documents would reveal something like that, and even than, some companies use payroll services that it wouldn't match!

I also made my reason for leaving the last job I was fired from blend in and put it for all the jobs like this

Job Ended...

Job Ended....Company Closure

Job Ended....Layoff

Job Ended....Company Restructure

So I made it blend it but didn't put a reason for the job I was fired from so they probably figured it was one of the reasons below lol

I was almost fired for violating internet policy...though it was for personal use and nothing like content. Despite that, my boss said it continued he would let me go, but he would assist me with my resume and finding another job.

What's generally more of an issue is large gaps of unemployment, because potential employers want you to explain those. So if you didn't hold the job you were fired from for very long, like contact1 said, you wouldn't even have to list it and no one would know. But if you worked there eight years, you can't sustain that long of a gap in your resume without someone noticing. And then they'd want to know what was going on during that time. In that sense, your history never 'expires,' tho the further back it is, the less interesting and topical.

It also depends on what type of tier you're at professionally. If you're a professional with a degree in a certain field, you'll tend to be scrutinized more closely, while if you're a young person with a history of part time low paying jobs, no one is likely to care much.

contact1's also right about there being no master jobs database that someone could consult to see if you're lying about timeframes and employers. That kind of info can be stored in credit headers, but it's far from comprehensive. So the focus will always be on checking your references and using the information you provide them.

• Like 1
  • Author
What's generally more of an issue is large gaps of unemployment, because potential employers want you to explain those. So if you didn't hold the job you were fired from for very long, like contact1 said, you wouldn't even have to list it and no one would know. But if you worked there eight years, you can't sustain that long of a gap in your resume without someone noticing. And then they'd want to know what was going on during that time. In that sense, your history never 'expires,' tho the further back it is, the less interesting and topical.

It also depends on what type of tier you're at professionally. If you're a professional with a degree in a certain field, you'll tend to be scrutinized more closely, while if you're a young person with a history of part time low paying jobs, no one is likely to care much.

contact1's also right about there being no master jobs database that someone could consult to see if you're lying about timeframes and employers. That kind of info can be stored in credit headers, but it's far from comprehensive. So the focus will always be on checking your references and using the information you provide them.

I was at the job that fired me for 10 months. And hoped to be at my current job for 5 years so I can overshadow that termination

I was at the job that fired me for 10 months. And hoped to be at my current job for 5 years so I can overshadow that termination

I think you're worrying about it too much. The job I was let go from was only 3 months in duration, so I suppose I could get away with not listing it...but then that would make my 3 month employment gap into a 6 month one since it took 3 months to look for other work (Granted that was also because I had re-located during that time), but since they were dealing with a bankruptcy and never explicitly gave me a reason for letting me go, I usually use that as a reason. "Unfortunately the company had financial problems, so they had to let me go" which is true, because I have the paperwork that the company had just exited bankruptcy when they let me go. Same day and all.

Also, you have been at your current job long enough that they will most likely only care about why you're leaving this job. As long you have some good references you can use, both coworker and supervisor, I would just put no to contact for the previous employer. You don't need to use them as a reference, just for verification purposes. And the only questions they will be asked are dates of hire, pay rate, position, and whether or not you're eligible for re-hire, which they will answer either "yes or no". Most employers do not go into detail for fear of a lawsuit. I was fired from a job behind my back once and I still found other work. It's not the end of the world.

• Author
Also, you have been at your current job long enough that they will most likely only care about why you're leaving this job. As long you have some good references you can use, both coworker and supervisor, I would just put no to contact for the previous employer. You don't need to use them as a reference, just for verification purposes. And the only questions they will be asked are dates of hire, pay rate, position, and whether or not you're eligible for re-hire, which they will answer either "yes or no". Most employers do not go into detail for fear of a lawsuit. I was fired from a job behind my back once and I still found other work. It's not the end of the world.

That's why I was so shocked I got this job so fast because it's connected to the state government and I was fired from local government so very shocking that I was not asked about it or nothing ever came up. My current job is not a state job just connected to the state in regards to determining eligibility for state issued childcare.

whichwayisup
I was fired a couple of years ago and was lucky enough to find another job in only 60 days. Part of the reason was I put "Job Ended" as my reason for leaving and not fired or terminated. I was never asked about it during the interview for the job I have now and was able to pass the background check and get hired.

So if I stay at this job for 4-5 years would that job I was fired from in 2013 matter anymore since it's not my previous job?

If people ask for references, it's up to you in the future if you use that company where you were fired. Though I'm surprised this new job didn't ask for references, if they did they would have found out you were fired.

• Like 2
  • Author
If people ask for references, it's up to you in the future if you use that company where you were fired. Though I'm surprised this new job didn't ask for references, if they did they would have found out you were fired.

The current job did ask for references and I gave them a total of 3

supervisor from the job I was fired from

supervisor from last job

colleague from last job

• Like 1
whichwayisup

It's possible that your previous bosses and others didn't want to taint your professional reputation so they did you a favour by not giving that info out.

• Like 2
  • Author
It's possible that your previous bosses and others didn't want to taint your professional reputation so they did you a favour by not giving that info out.

I think what helped me is my supervisor from the job I was fired from agreeing to be a reference for me. I can't even use her anymore because she retired last year.

• Like 1
  • Author
OP exactly what is your problem /issue?

Just wondering should I still list the job I was fired from in 2013 if I stay at this current job until 2018. So that would mean my resume would look like this

Current Job........2013-Present

Second Job-2009 to 2011

Third Job-2005 to 2009

The job I was fired from was the shortest of all the jobs I had since 1998 which was 10 months. So I was wondering if I should even list it anymore if I am still working at this same job in 2018

Just wondering should I still list the job I was fired from in 2013 if I stay at this current job until 2018. So that would mean my resume would look like this

Current Job........2013-Present

Second Job-2009 to 2011

Third Job-2005 to 2009

The job I was fired from was the shortest of all the jobs I had since 1998 which was 10 months. So I was wondering if I should even list it anymore if I am still working at this same job in 2018

Just leave it...especially if it adds experience to your resume. It was 10 months long, so it's kinda hard to leave it out. I can see if you were maybe there for a month or something, but you were there nearly a year. You've had another job since then, so you simply just do not use them as a reference. If they get contacted for employment verification, they will only be asked for dates of work, rate of pay AND they might ask if you are eligible for re-hire, which is a yes or no question for them. Most places will not divulge any other info since it is not a reference. It's so simple...you don't need to omit them on your resume, because then you'd get caught in a lie. That's a year gap and they might question what you were doing during that time. Just don't use them as your reference.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Author
Just leave it...especially if it adds experience to your resume. It was 10 months long, so it's kinda hard to leave it out. I can see if you were maybe there for a month or something, but you were there nearly a year. You've had another job since then, so you simply just do not use them as a reference. If they get contacted for employment verification, they will only be asked for dates of work, rate of pay AND they might ask if you are eligible for re-hire, which is a yes or no question for them. Most places will not divulge any other info since it is not a reference. It's so simple...you don't need to omit them on your resume, because then you'd get caught in a lie. That's a year gap and they might question what you were doing during that time. Just don't use them as your reference.

My supervisor who agreed to be a reference for the job I was fired from was so worried that HR was going to reveal something negative about me but it all worked out.

Yeah I guess you are right, what would a firing 6 years in the past mean if I was at the previous job for 5 years. And that's the main reason why I can leave like everyone at my job is doing because of the MOVE because I need more years of service since I only been there a year and a half.

• Like 1
My supervisor who agreed to be a reference for the job I was fired from was so worried that HR was going to reveal something negative about me but it all worked out.

Yeah I guess you are right, what would a firing 6 years in the past mean if I was at the previous job for 5 years. And that's the main reason why I can leave like everyone at my job is doing because of the MOVE because I need more years of service since I only been there a year and a half.

Yeah, as I've said before I have been fired from places before and just didn't use them as references. If you're at this job for 5 years, I doubt they will even ask about the previous position.