Someone at my job who has been employed for 6 years had no idea Unemployment changed

My job is in the process of relocating and no one is thrilled with the new area so people are looking for other jobs to avoid going. So the guy was like if push comes to shove I may just let them fire me so I can get unemployment.

I then said......"Unemployment is only 6 months"

He said...."well I will just get an extension"

I responded....."there are no more extensions:D"

So he has no idea what has been going with Unemployment since 2008 because he has been working since then unlike me who has been laid off 4 times making me the Unemployment Compensation Advisor lol

That was definitely the funniest moment of this year so far

• Like 2

Last time I was on unemployment was also around 2008-2009 and I was on it for a little over a year. I learned about the extensions being done away with when I was unemployed early last year for 3 months in the beginning of 2014. Sad, but true. Needless to say, I ended up taking the first job that hired me, even if it was only part time. Thankfully it's not as difficult to find work where we moved to. If the guy is confident he can find other work within 6 months, by all means he can wait until he is let go.

• Author
Last time I was on unemployment was also around 2008-2009 and I was on it for a little over a year. I learned about the extensions being done away with when I was unemployed early last year for 3 months in the beginning of 2014. Sad, but true. Needless to say, I ended up taking the first job that hired me, even if it was only part time. Thankfully it's not as difficult to find work where we moved to. If the guy is confident he can find other work within 6 months, by all means he can wait until he is let go.

He has been desperately trying to leave because I guess he is not a fan of the new area. I think we are supposed to move in June or July so he has another 2 months to look for a job. I am not going anywhere because this December will only be my 2 year anniversary and my goal was to be employed for 5 years. Plus when I decide to leave this job I want to make sure the next job is just as stable as the one I with now. I don't want to be on unemployment ever again in life which I know is putting a lot of pressure on myself but after being laid off 4 times in 5 years I had enough.

• Like 1

That was definitely the funniest moment of this year so far

Thankfully, you have nine months to top that.

• Like 6

It's possible to get 64 weeks + in my state.

I've never collected it - but I've known people who collected it even longer than that. It is frustrating watching people collect with no intention of taking work.

• Author
It's possible to get 64 weeks + in my state.

I've never collected it - but I've known people who collected it even longer than that. It is frustrating watching people collect with no intention of taking work.

26 weeks is the max in all states effective 2015

They've said that before but many know loopholes to receive it longer.

• Like 1
He has been desperately trying to leave because I guess he is not a fan of the new area. I think we are supposed to move in June or July so he has another 2 months to look for a job. I am not going anywhere because this December will only be my 2 year anniversary and my goal was to be employed for 5 years. Plus when I decide to leave this job I want to make sure the next job is just as stable as the one I with now. I don't want to be on unemployment ever again in life which I know is putting a lot of pressure on myself but after being laid off 4 times in 5 years I had enough.

I hear you 100%. This past year for me was very hard, especially since before that I had never once been let go from a job. I was let go from the job I mentioned to you before in Dec 2013...took another part time job in March...let go 5/6 months later due to apparent lack of work and they wanted an agent who could do the filing on the side for a just a few hours per week. A month before that, a temp to hire job just let me go suddenly because they decided I didn't have enough experience and didn't feel like training me anymore. Yeah...so I can understand your frustration. Unfortunately, it seems like there are no permanent jobs anymore....but they are all replaced with contract positions that offer no benefits.:(

Employers (not employees) pay Federal & State unemployment taxes. Each State has their own laws & regulations. There are State extensions & Federal extensions. The cancellation of Federal extensions does not change the States' administration of benefits.

• Like 2
  • Author
I hear you 100%. This past year for me was very hard, especially since before that I had never once been let go from a job. I was let go from the job I mentioned to you before in Dec 2013...took another part time job in March...let go 5/6 months later due to apparent lack of work and they wanted an agent who could do the filing on the side for a just a few hours per week. A month before that, a temp to hire job just let me go suddenly because they decided I didn't have enough experience and didn't feel like training me anymore. Yeah...so I can understand your frustration. Unfortunately, it seems like there are no permanent jobs anymore....but they are all replaced with contract positions that offer no benefits.:(

Yeah so you can see how working in a bad neighborhood is better than not working at all. lol And the fact that the job is stable with nice benefits means I can deal with working in a undesirable area for a while. And when you have rent to pay you have to follow the money LOL

• Author
Employers (not employees) pay Federal & State unemployment taxes. Each State has their own laws & regulations. There are State extensions & Federal extensions. The cancellation of Federal extensions does not change the States' administration of benefits.

I have yet to hear of anyone receiving more than 26 weeks of UC since 2013.

I have yet to hear of anyone receiving more than 26 weeks of UC since 2013.

Only two States--Massachusetts & Montana--pay State unemployment > 26 weeks, several States pay < 26. (note: Mass. pays 30 wks if there is no Federal extension; 26, if there is).

When I worked for UI in the 80's, there were both State & Federal extensions available.

• Author
Only two States--Massachusetts & Montana--pay State unemployment > 26 weeks, several States pay < 26. (note: Mass. pays 30 wks if there is no Federal extension; 26, if there is).

When I worked for UI in the 80's, there were both State & Federal extensions available.

Ok well that's only 4 more weeks.

I was referring to when it was Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 back in 2011 which was a total of 44 extra weeks on top of the initial 6 months.

• Author
Yes, Federal extensions expired at the end of 2013.

I think it had to because a person who knows they have a year of unemployment would not look for a job the first 2 or 3 months and would treat as a vacation.

• Like 1