Do NOT give two weeks notice

When an employer is firing someone, especially for cause, the employer wants to sever the relationship for all time. When it's for other reasons -- seasonal, plant closing, economics etc. the employer usually gives more notice to soften the blow. Under Federal laws in the US, plant closings require WARN notices.

When an employee quits presumably it's to pursue a better opportunity but because most industries are small, it's bad idea to leave somebody in the lurch because you don't know who they know in the business or whether they will come around to be your boss again in the future.

Even if you don't believe that, 2 wrongs don't make a right & there is a lot to be said for being the bigger person & doing the right thing.

• Like 3

Where I live employers cannot fire someone on the spot after the probationary period. There is a process that has to be adhered to before an employee can be fired. The only exception would be if the employee is engaging in illegal activities at work such as theft or using drugs on the premises.

Giving proper notice is beneficial to both the employer and employee. The employer has time to find a replacement and the employee leaves the company on a positive note and will possibly be able to use their former employer as a reference in the future. Having positive references from former employers is very valuable. If you leave a job without giving proper notice then you will never be able to use that job on your resume as a way of indicating your experience because if a new company hears that you walked off the job without notice they will never hire you

So leave your jobs without giving notice if you want but you are only hurting yourself.

• Like 2
  • Author
When an employer is firing someone, especially for cause, the employer wants to sever the relationship for all time. When it's for other reasons -- seasonal, plant closing, economics etc. the employer usually gives more notice to soften the blow. Under Federal laws in the US, plant closings require WARN notices.

When an employee quits presumably it's to pursue a better opportunity but because most industries are small, it's bad idea to leave somebody in the lurch because you don't know who they know in the business or whether they will come around to be your boss again in the future.

Even if you don't believe that, 2 wrongs don't make a right & there is a lot to be said for being the bigger person & doing the right thing.

No it's all about power and higher company executives are in it for money and power. humbleness you don't ever see in a company vice president. just smugness and arrogance and a humongous paycheck. having just been fired on the spot by one I'm not going to take it anymore.

• Like 2

I'd have no problem quitting w/o giving 2 weeks if I had a new job lined up.

Only pause I'd have is if I worked in a small industry that talks.

• Like 1

Kerosene and bridges aside, let's discuss the pros and cons of two week notice. Thanks!

• Like 1
No it's all about power and higher company executives are in it for money and power. humbleness you don't ever see in a company vice president. just smugness and arrogance and a humongous paycheck. having just been fired on the spot by one I'm not going to take it anymore.

What does that mean? Please don't do anything illegal to make things worse. Because honestly, that sounds like you are threatening somebody.

Rather than seek revenge, consider an anger management program.

Kerosene and bridges aside, let's discuss the pros and cons of two week notice. Thanks!

Fair enough. Let me give an example.

I know someone who quit and gave no notice... just said at 4:30 PM on a Friday to his boss, this is my last day, it was a pleasure.

Went to his new job the next week. Worked there for about 2 years and wanted to progress at that job, but wasn't going anywhere. Saw a dream job posting at another place, got an interview. Guess who the hiring manager was? The guy he ditched two years earlier on a Friday afternoon with no notice.

What do you think happened?

• Like 4
I'll get a new job but have to lie on my resume because of the stupid vice president, who I called again and told him he was a pos. which he is.

Don't lie on the job application. If you do, when they find out, that lie alone is just cause to fire you.

Edited by d0nnivain
  • Like 1

Corporations unfortunately employ many with entitlement attitudes. There is not too much we can do that I know of being this is a corporate country. NEVER burn your bridges. Sad but true fact and jobs are not always easy to come by. We need the paycheck more than they need us; meaning they will just find another body to fill the spot. More of an issue for the "average joe" than a big corporate conglomerate.

• Like 1

The other thing that can happen is you don't give proper notice and start the new job which suddenly can't hire you because of budget issues.

So you must have a nice exit

Regardless of the reason, I have never once been given notice from an employer that I'm going to be let go. Even when business slows down, I am still suddenly just let go right then. You have to watch out for yourselves these days. Employers in this day and age just make you feel like you're disposable. The employment market has made me pretty jaded. They expect you to give notice, but they can just let you go anytime without even a reason. So, I'd say if the employer has been pretty good to you and you want to use them as a reference, do give notice. If they have treated you horribly, chances are you can't rely on them for a good reference, so if you can start the other job sooner, I wouldn't give much notice. It really depends on the situation. I had a job give me **** for giving them a week's notice, but I felt very justified as I was treated horribly and was not going to stand for it a moment longer. They are lucky I didn't walk off the job that day and at least gave some notice. I never looked back.

Edited by pink_sugar

When I got fired from my past job, they gave me some written warning that my performance wasn't up to their standards and then they had me sign a piece of paper. Well, that day finally came when the manager just came over to my desk and told me I have been "terminated' something along the lines of the job isn't a good fit for me. But I don't know. If its a performance issue, don't they give verbal, written warnings?

• Like 1
When I got fired from my past job, they gave me some written warning that my performance wasn't up to their standards and then they had me sign a piece of paper. Well, that day finally came when the manager just came over to my desk and told me I have been "terminated' something along the lines of the job isn't a good fit for me. But I don't know. If its a performance issue, don't they give verbal, written warnings?

For me, I never got any sort of notice about my performance. On my 90th day they just terminated me out of the blue for "not being a good fit". It was a bunch of runaround BS. I still don't know exactly why I was terminated as it stated performance and overall compatibility with the company as well as their needs. I found out later they went bankrupt that day. If it was my performance, there were no signs that I was not performing...no warnings, nothing like that. After losing that job, I was forced to relocate and live with relatives for a year. Unemployment wouldn't have been enough to make rent in that area until another job came along.

For me, I never got any sort of notice about my performance. On my 90th day they just terminated me out of the blue for "not being a good fit". It was a bunch of runaround BS. I still don't know exactly why I was terminated as it stated performance and overall compatibility with the company as well as their needs. I found out later they went bankrupt that day. If it was my performance, there were no signs that I was not performing...no warnings, nothing like that. After losing that job, I was forced to relocate and live with relatives for a year. Unemployment wouldn't have been enough to make rent in that area until another job came along.

Yeah after paying rent with unemployment it's usually nothing left over.

• Like 1

My unemployment was only like $600-$700 a month and my rent was $1500...just no way it could have been done.

My unemployment was only like $600-$700 a month and my rent was $1500...just no way it could have been done.

My rent was $900 and only $1300 a month was coming in so even though I was able to pay the rent things was very tight

• Like 1

We used our last means to get out of that area as we were barely getting by when we lived there. Even though we were stuck with family for a year, we are back on our own now and living a better quality of life.

I had no idea people could get unemployment if they were fired. I always thought if someone was laid off they could get it.

I had no idea people could get unemployment if they were fired. I always thought if someone was laid off they could get it.

I believe if you were fired for performance you can get it. But if it's something like "inappropriate use of the internet during work hours" then probably not

• Like 1
I believe if you were fired for performance you can get it. But if it's something like "inappropriate use of the internet during work hours" then probably not

Yes, the two times I was fired for performance I got it. Not being a good fit or performance not meeting standards will make you eligible for UI.

Yes, the two times I was fired for performance I got it. Not being a good fit or performance not meeting standards will make you eligible for UI.

Yeah my cousin who was fired for inappropriate use of the internet was fired and then had to appeal

He won the appeal and got like $4000 in UC checks and then the employer appealed the judge decision and it went to the Board of Review. Then the board of review reversed the Judge decision and then he got a notice in the mail saying he owes $4000 which was considered a non-fraudulent overpayment

lol Unebelievable

• Like 1