Salary Question To HR & Hiring Managers

nomadic_butterfly

I am curious. So I've been interviewing to move from LA back to NYC. In my book, the higher cost of living plus obviously an anticipated jump when changing positions justifies a bump of $10-15k. I am also sure I am overworked and underpaid at my current position, and I have a unique background AND a masters degree. I currently make $50,000/yr. I've also seen friends in my company/industry recently make the same jump and get bumps of up to $20k.

Company A:

During the initial screening (by the CEO) I was asked what are my salary requirements. The job listing didn't really specify years of experience, and I also looked up existing workers on LinkedIn and the same title but with as much experience as me as well, so I don't think it' set in stone that one has to be just entry level. They are a start-up, with a solid portfolio and growing fast. They want to hire at least 30-40 people this year, 15 in the next month or so. Glassdoor had tons of reviews but no salary info :-(

I replied, "With higher cost of living and researched market value, $60-65k. He then says "we were looking to hire at $55k, but we will what we can do for you." I never thought I was going to hear back from him LOL. I then received an email to have another interview, this time with VP of that division of the company and then a third round of interviews with 3 more people! I deduce from their tone, body language, making them laugh, and them really seeming to like my answers to questions as well as the questions I asked them, that it went well.

I don't know if I priced myself out? I mean I figured the CEO of all people wouldn't move me to the second and third stages if I was way out of my league. I am just unsure of how these situations work.

Company B:

I interviewed with HR coordinator who's main job is to just screen the candidates. She was really enthusiastic about my background. It required at least two years of experience MINIMUM and I have just over three. Once again, another fast growing company and my experience really aligns with the role. She asked me my current salary (unlike company A). After my reply, she asked me if it included a bonus. I don't know if I should take that as my salary being higher than she anticipated or a lot lower, and she was surprised I didn't get bonuses. I replied "unfortunately not" (I perceived she meant I should be getting them, who knows!)

She then asked me what I was looking for and I told her it really would depend on complete benefit package but $60-65k. I said my current job, although $50k, has full dental, medical, and vision. She said well only the hiring manager is at liberty to go into nitty gritty detail about that, but she can say they get two weeks of during Christmas and full medical. I mean, was I wrong for saying that? For me, the benefits included affects my range. If I have to spend several thousands on benefits, I have to leverage that. Also the position is new so I couldn't find salary info for it on glassdoor but I know the avg. salary within the company is in my range and higher.

Afterwards, she said she wants to catapult me to the third stage (re-emphasizing how she thinks my background is on the mark) and ASAP wants me to speak to the person who would be my manager and then video interviews with the team. Her tone was still upbeat after, but I am not sure how to interpret the bonus question? Maybe this role is under or just at $60k but with performance bonuses?

Edited by nomadic_butterfly
  • Like 1

Been awhile but I prefer prospective employees who don't elaborate on the details of their reasoning behind salary/benefit needs but rather focus on a basic proposal of salary and benefits, in writing, then orally focus on what they bring to the company and why it would be worth my time to accept those terms and hire them today.

Cali, in general, and LA and SFO in particular, are pretty expensive places to live, some of the most expensive in the country.

Is the company going to pay for your move? That's a consideration too.

Be aware that we're also used to purported expectant hires sussing out our parameters to leverage a better deal with their current employer or a competitor or simply for competitive reasons with no real interest in getting hired . This is real common in my industry, so employers often play things real close to the cuff and do background checks on prospective hires.

Average starting pay for most hires is 60-150K, depending on job, with mechanics, machinists, roughnecks and techs at the low and engineers and managers at the high end, and is in a low COL area of Cali, compared to LA anyway.

What's your goal with this job? Is it a step to another job, a holding pattern for a move to a competitor who currently isn't interested in your services, a long-time commitment, etc, etc.? To me, that's an important part of a good match. You said both are 'fast-growing' companies. OK. Have you done background research on their principals, either the majority shareholders or owners, depending on method of operation, their financials, industry rep, etc, etc. Fast growing companies can be the Apple of their industry or they can fade into the abyss. People wanting your work are selling you. Investigate the salesperson and those who trained them.

Disclaimer. Haven't worked for anyone in about 30 years but have hired or been involved in hiring of employees. Blue collar industry. Generally all male. FWIW. Good luck!

• Like 2
loveweary11
I am curious. So I've been interviewing to move from LA back to NYC. In my book, the higher cost of living plus obviously an anticipated jump when changing positions justifies a bump of $10-15k. I am also sure I am overworked and underpaid at my current position, and I have a unique background AND a masters degree. I currently make $50,000/yr. I've also seen friends in my company/industry recently make the same jump and get bumps of up to $20k.

Company A:

During the initial screening (by the CEO) I was asked what are my salary requirements. The job listing didn't really specify years of experience, and I also looked up existing workers on LinkedIn and the same title but with as much experience as me as well, so I don't think it' set in stone that one has to be just entry level. They are a start-up, with a solid portfolio and growing fast. They want to hire at least 30-40 people this year, 15 in the next month or so. Glassdoor had tons of reviews but no salary info :-(

I replied, "With higher cost of living and researched market value, $60-65k. He then says "we were looking to hire at $55k, but we will what we can do for you." I never thought I was going to hear back from him LOL. I then received an email to have another interview, this time with VP of that division of the company and then a third round of interviews with 3 more people! I deduce from their tone, body language, making them laugh, and them really seeming to like my answers to questions as well as the questions I asked them, that it went well.

I don't know if I priced myself out? I mean I figured the CEO of all people wouldn't move me to the second and third stages if I was way out of my league. I am just unsure of how these situations work.

Company B:

I interviewed with HR coordinator who's main job is to just screen the candidates. She was really enthusiastic about my background. It required at least two years of experience MINIMUM and I have just over three. Once again, another fast growing company and my experience really aligns with the role. She asked me my current salary (unlike company A). After my reply, she asked me if it included a bonus. I don't know if I should take that as my salary being higher than she anticipated or a lot lower, and she was surprised I didn't get bonuses. I replied "unfortunately not" (I perceived she meant I should be getting them, who knows!)

She then asked me what I was looking for and I told her it really would depend on complete benefit package but $60-65k. I said my current job, although $50k, has full dental, medical, and vision. She said well only the hiring manager is at liberty to go into nitty gritty detail about that, but she can say they get two weeks of during Christmas and full medical. I mean, was I wrong for saying that? For me, the benefits included affects my range. If I have to spend several thousands on benefits, I have to leverage that. Also the position is new so I couldn't find salary info for it on glassdoor but I know the avg. salary within the company is in my range and higher.

Afterwards, she said she wants to catapult me to the third stage (re-emphasizing how she thinks my background is on the mark) and ASAP wants me to speak to the person who would be my manager and then video interviews with the team. Her tone was still upbeat after, but I am not sure how to interpret the bonus question? Maybe this role is under or just at $60k but with performance bonuses?

Within reason, any business that's doing well will pay an extra $1000 a month salary to choose the best candidate.

Salaries aren't nearly as tightly controlled as you are presuming.

When I used to work for other people, I always got top dollar and didn't settle for less.

If you have a great track record, fit the industry and they like you, you can write your own ticket to some extent. If you are a superstar, they'll pay extra to have you.

No successful company needs to penny pinch on $10 grand if you are making them millions in revenue.

And adding to what Carhill said, don't talk about why you want what you want. Simply state it. If you meet resistance, tell them why you are worth it. How much more money you make/save them, etc.

Being almost arrogant about it has worked for me. ymmv.

I also put it off until after they have made the decision to hire.

Let them invest in you time wise, emotionally, etc. Then drop your non negotiable salary requirements on them after they give you the offer letter.

Edited by loveweary11
  • Like 1
loveweary11

Also, salary is a negotiation. Depending on your role in a business, you should be very good at negotiating. (not so if tech expert, etc)

A secret of mine when negotiating is: "Don't give a F$"

There are other jobs. There are other companies that need you. They need you as much as you need them. Be prepared to walk away.

This helps you keep the upper hand in the negotiation. The fact that you have nothing to lose lets you push all the way to their limit.

• Author
nomadic_butterfly
Been awhile but I prefer prospective employees who don't elaborate on the details of their reasoning behind salary/benefit needs but rather focus on a basic proposal of salary and benefits, in writing, then orally focus on what they bring to the company and why it would be worth my time to accept those terms and hire them today.

Cali, in general, and LA and SFO in particular, are pretty expensive places to live, some of the most expensive in the country.

Is the company going to pay for your move? That's a consideration too.

Be aware that we're also used to purported expectant hires sussing out our parameters to leverage a better deal with their current employer or a competitor or simply for competitive reasons with no real interest in getting hired. This is real common in my industry, so employers often play things real close to the cuff and do background checks on prospective hires.

What's your goal with this job? Is it a step to another job, a holding pattern for a move to a competitor who currently isn't interested in your services, a long-time commitment, etc, etc.? To me, that's an important part of a good match. You said both are 'fast-growing' companies. OK. Have you done background research on their principals, either the majority shareholders or owners, depending on method of operation, their financials, industry rep, etc, etc

Disclaimer. Haven't worked for anyone in about 30 years but have hired or been involved in hiring of employees. Blue collar industry. Generally all male. FWIW. Good luck!

Company A has products that are highly valuable and a spin-off of a parent company that has been around for a long time. They have a very impressive portfolio. It's highly likely they will be around for a long time. Their tech products/services are revolutionary.

Neither companies are necessarily "direct" competitors. I want to leave for many reasons. The primary one being my job is not hands on enough and doesn't require as much critical thinking as I am capable of. I love a challenge and I thrive in that kind of pressure. At my company, almost all of the senior level people have not had any other jobs so their perspective is extremely narrow and they need to hire outside people on a senior level to have more realistic insight. It also doesn't help at least 70% of my company has know each other since highschool or before that. I also find some people are a bit intimidated when they see some of your advanced capabilities they themselves don't possess (when really a smart boss will leverage it to their/the company's advantage) so you have to dumb yourself down to make others comfortable and not view you as a "threat" Besides that, there's lack of structure which drives me nuts. Outside of creative initiatives and things that should piggyback or build off your pre-existing knowledge, expectations need to be very clear and when asked for say, a specific metric as far as what is expected, I get resistance. I've always had fantastic reviews but it's hard to set goals for myself when I have no clue where I stand from a more concrete standpoint (i.e. producing X amount of reports a day is expected, therefore if I exceed that X I know I am doing very well, below it, underperforming, etc.). They never tell me and it drives me nuts and I've asked multiple times in reviews.

My initial experience was purely client side, always for start-ups/smaller, growing companies so I was able to roll up my sleeves and do a lot of the dirty work! I love that. I feel like I just spectate in my job, just culling numbers, analyzing large data sets and creating "pretty" reports when I want to a part of the reason a company grew revenue for a particular product by 30%. Or gained first mover's advantage because I noticed a trend in their industry and gave them insight on how to stay ahead of the curve.

I kind of just needed a job when I came back to America from grad school with all of my student loans and they seemed to have a great culture and I thought by working "internally" in marketing, that meant directly marketing for the company but they are growing like wildfire and their current strategy doesn't call for it, and with their massive success (more than doubled since I started 2 yrs ago), no incentive to push for other types of marketing right now. I like almost everything about my company except the role itself. To do what I truly want, I'd have to switch departments, start from scratch, change titles, and take a pay cut. I've confirmed this with several people who've switch departments. It's regressive to change titles, start from scratch, take a pay cut when I can build on my current title/experience and make MORE.

I don't have too many things to move, and I already have family/lots of friends in NYC since I am originally from there. I am not pushing for relo but if offered, I would accept it.

Thanks for pointing out not explaining the jump in salary. I just thought asking for 20-30% more than the current salary needed some justification.

• Author
nomadic_butterfly
Also, salary is a negotiation. Depending on your role in a business, you should be very good at negotiating. (not so if tech expert, etc)

A secret of mine when negotiating is: "Don't give a F$"

There are other jobs. There are other companies that need you. They need you as much as you need them. Be prepared to walk away.

This helps you keep the upper hand in the negotiation. The fact that you have nothing to lose lets you push all the way to their limit.

Thanks! I try to sound very confident when they ask me "how much?" You're right; I am not unemployed and there are options so I CAN afford to wait out a great opportunity that makes the move worth it.

loveweary11
Thanks! I try to sound very confident when they ask me "how much?" You're right; I am not unemployed and there are options so I CAN afford to wait out a great opportunity that makes the move worth it.

And it's too early to move to NYC anyway. An April/May arrival will be far more pleasing. :lmao:

• Like 1

Benefits should always be factored in when considering pay. If you're making say $40, but get 4 weeks paid vacation and full benefits, it's not worth taking a $50k a year job with no benefits. But it sounds like you have some good negotiation skills, so I wish you the best of luck. I would never return to a highly expensive area myself. It's probably still hard to get by on $60 a year somewhere like NYC.

• Like 1
  • Author
nomadic_butterfly
Benefits should always be factored in when considering pay. If you're making say $40, but get 4 weeks paid vacation and full benefits, it's not worth taking a $50k a year job with no benefits. But it sounds like you have some good negotiation skills, so I wish you the best of luck. I would never return to a highly expensive area myself. It's probably still hard to get by on $60 a year somewhere like NYC.

Yea...I know it's expensive but within a few years I'll be making a lot of money to offset the cost. I'm pretty frugal and low maintenance. My biggest expense right now are student loans. I dedicate almost a whole paycheck to them. I want to knock them out ASAP. That's the biggest money-suck for me. I also am approaching my late 20s soon so I want to be close to family and not have to deal with LA traffic and flakiness. I will probably live on the outskirts of the city in NJ and get a bigger space for cheaper and commute. It's only a 20-30 min or less; sometimes closer than other boroughs within the city.