How to recover from illegal behavior being rewarded?

I'm so upset and have not been able to sleep for days. I gave my all to the company I thought I'd retire from, and was highly regarded as a top employee- until I identified myself as a disabled person who requested accommodations.

The request was simple- I needed a lumbar support on my chair and to work from home three days per week, something that other employees got anyway without needing to request with a doctor's note. I gave them the documentation they wanted and they delayed everything. From waiting two weeks to give me the paperwork, to four weeks before approving it to nearly three months elapsing before I got the lumbar support.

Within hours of identifying myself as disabled, my manager moved the team to a far away location on the top floor away from any elevators. She began publicizing my medical issues and it only increased when I complained. She started nitpicking my work, stupidly tearing me apart on things that happened a few months earlier where she had previously replied and praised me. So the email thread shows positive acclaim from her, then all of a sudden a reply two months later ripping me apart. Many other things happened and several lawyers were jumping through hoops to get my case.

We filed with the EEOC, and things got worse, so we filed retaliation. At this point the manager began incorporating physical activities into my job duties, which was never there before. At the same time, I did my due diligence and reported a temporary employee who had been falsifying her time records. This same temp employee began sexually harassing me with comments and physical touch. Instead the manager rewarded this temp. The temp would always burst into tears whenever she was caught not doing her work, including when she was asked why it took her four weeks to post a document to the Share drive. Total toddler behavior!

The manager was outsed soon after, but others picked up where she left off. The more I complained about the sexual harassment, the more they put me closer to the sexual harasser. The temp was rewarded and seems untouchable.

I am most bothered by the employer's attorney saying none of this happened and calling the sexual harassment comments (which definitely meet the legal definintion of sexual harassment) as common workplace problems and basically saying I overreacted. They say that I have to work closer to the temp and that they've bent over backwards for me and there isn't a problem with publicizing my medical details. My lawyer is done with it and said that we need to make a demand for a settlement so that I leave there and can move on with my life. He says this is the best time to do it.

I am angry about my character being attacked and want to set them straight. I am absolutely infurtiated that this temp is not held accountable for lying, cheating , stealing and sexual harassment and is rewarded for it and has never been disciplined. Why? I am so livid. I hate that place and know I should use the energy to apply elsewhere because there are better jobs out there, and I was overqualified and underpaid there anyway. But I am upset and almost want revenge. I feel like telling the news or something. This is personally wrong and the company claims to be so ethical but they aren't. I feel like I want to make sure the temp is held accountable.

How can I move on and focus on my future when there are such grave injustices being done to me, and things that go against my personal value system? Please help.

How can I move on and focus on my future when there are such grave injustices being done to me, and things that go against my personal value system?

Once you accept that life is war, it gets easier.

Personally, I tend to side with your lawyer. Negotiate a settlement or sue for a judgment to mitigate your damages and move on. Expect that there will be a whole lot more people in life who won't like you and will disparage you for sport or profit. It's what humans do. Avoid the ones you can avoid and wade into the rest without regard to their humanity. It works.

• Like 2
  • Author

Personally, I tend to side with your lawyer. Negotiate a settlement or sue for a judgment to mitigate your damages and move on. Expect that there will be a whole lot more people in life who won't like you and will disparage you for sport or profit. It's what humans do. Avoid the ones you can avoid and wade into the rest without regard to their humanity. It works.

Thanks. I just never expected something so good to go so bad. I've been finding better job postings today, though.

If I as for the settlement now, after their letter, won't I look weak? And how do I deal with that I feel leaving (even with a settlement) will make the temp think she won?

nomadic_butterfly
Thanks. I just never expected something so good to go so bad. I've been finding better job postings today, though.

If I as for the settlement now, after their letter, won't I look weak? And how do I deal with that I feel leaving (even with a settlement) will make the temp think she won?

Wow!! I am so sorry to hear how they treated you. You are much better off somewhere else where they'll respect your needs as much as the quality of your work!

• Like 1

VenusinLibra,

I smiled when I saw your "handle" because Venus in Libra is an indication of a person who is very fair-minded, charming and balanced. So all of this work stuff will really go against the grain with you!

You said

Let's turn this around.

You're the one who's won here because you have a settlement and got away from a crappy work environment where you weren't valued.

By the time the company realise that they lost your valuable input, by siding against you in favour of someone just out of nappies, you'll be long gone and working for a company who appreciates your skills, talents and maturity.

I was overqualified and underpaid there anyway

So now you've been given the push - literally - to make better use of your experience.

I can understand that you feel bitter and resentful - I would too - but use that anger as energy to get yourself a better position.

I know you feel vengeful but rest assured, that temp will get her come-uppance. I don't think that this is the first time she's behaved like this and if she continues pushing her luck she'll be caught out. Unfortunately you may not get the satisfaction of seeing it come to pass...

Good luck for your new career !

The law offers imperfect solutions. All you get is cash. Taking a settlement & moving on is better than wallowing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
venusinlibra

True.

You're right. I'm feeling better about this, but things have gotten worse. I'm still there and they counter-offered around 10% of the original demand. :(

Wow!! I am so sorry to hear how they treated you. You are much better off somewhere else where they'll respect your needs as much as the quality of your work!

Agreed. That they accept and encourage illegal behaviors and respond to EEOC charges with even more illegal activities really makes me wonder how much they paid to be named to a "World's Most Ethical Companies" list. I'm applying for better jobs now.

VenusinLibra,

I smiled when I saw your "handle" because Venus in Libra is an indication of a person who is very fair-minded, charming and balanced. So all of this work stuff will really go against the grain with you!

Lol, I know!

You said

Let's turn this around.

You're the one who's won here because you have a settlement and got away from a crappy work environment where you weren't valued.

Yes. They are being difficult with the negotiations, and their counter offer was such an insult.

By the time the company realise that they lost your valuable input, by siding against you in favour of someone just out of nappies, you'll be long gone and working for a company who appreciates your skills, talents and maturity.

So now you've been given the push - literally - to make better use of your experience.

I can understand that you feel bitter and resentful - I would too - but use that anger as energy to get yourself a better position.

I know you feel vengeful but rest assured, that temp will get her come-uppance. I don't think that this is the first time she's behaved like this and if she continues pushing her luck she'll be caught out. Unfortunately you may not get the satisfaction of seeing it come to pass...

Good luck for your new career !

Thanks! This made me feel soooo much better! I thought the same thing when I was forwarding emails to my personal email and the lawyer. They are foolish. In my first two months there, I accomplished things that people who had been there over 35 years hadn't done.

The temp confessed that she has never been able to find a permanent position, so has been temping for over ten years. She was crying about not knowing how to do this one task, yet her resume stated that she was a "master" at it back in 2001, before I even entered this field. Lol. The task in question is equivalent to writing a tweet after reading a paragraph! My lawyer told me that I am her job security and they will probably fire her once I leave.

The law offers imperfect solutions. All you get is cash. Taking a settlement & moving on is better than wallowing.

Thanks!

I'm so sorry. I know this type thing happens a lot. It's hard to prove everything, but it does sound like they immediately began trying to find ways to document you out of the company. Be sure you've asked all your questions of your attorney as far as why she isn't taking it to trial, etc. But if they offer enough money that you can live on it, end the stress and take the money. Best of luck.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 1
  • Author
venusinlibra
I'm so sorry. I know this type thing happens a lot. It's hard to prove everything, but it does sound like they immediately began trying to find ways to document you out of the company. Be sure you've asked all your questions of your attorney as far as why she isn't taking it to trial, etc. But if they offer enough money that you can live on it, end the stress and take the money. Best of luck.

They made a counteroffer of 10% of what the lawyer originally demanded. That was very insulting to me. Please send good vibes as negotiations will resume this week.

It hasn't went to trial yet because the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has to investigate and give a us "Right to Sue" letter. The employer has many excuses, such as me being "too sensitive" and saying it is "normal work issues" to have other females complimenting and scrutinizing your body and pinching your breasts. Yeah right. I have emails showing the discrimination beginning within hours of identifying as disabled.

They couldn't find anything on me, and they even gave me a raise recently. I hope this nightmare is over soon so that I can move on with my life. I suppose the only good thing about my tenure with this company is that the health insurance is paying 100% for me to take steps now to have my own children into my 40's.

I will send my best wishes your way. To me, it sounds like there was a lot of crap going on there. To me, the worst is when companies try to find a reason to fire you but it's really for some entirely other reason. Life is simply not always fair. It's a hard fact of life. Don't give up. Decades ago, I had an EEOC complaint that I got fired for being robbed, and the EEOC had one hearing with us and gave me the right to sue, but I didn't. I actually liked the owner a lot, just not his general manager, who is who did it. I was later offered any job I wanted back, but I wouldn't unless they got rid of the general manager, and he didn't want to. Honestly, the guy probably had something on him. He was like that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
venusinlibra

The saga continues! I'm grateful for any help, advice, and support here during this difficult time.

As for positive news, another company snatched me up. I applied, interviewed five days later, and walked out of my first and only interview with an offer letter in hand for nearly twice my current salary, thus putting me at six figures. The case with the bad employer will be settled next week, and I'm getting enough to buy a home without a mortgage. I gey to keep the health insurance which has sweet ivf coverage, so I'll be able to become a mother out of this. I'm basically set for life because they discriminated against me in several classes and retaliated. There were eight different EEOC charges.

But remember that lying, manipulative, crybaby temp who has been sexually harassing me and leaving everyone else to do her work because she is so lazy? The one who lied on her resume? Well, they are hiring it permanently. I'm furious. How in the heck does that happen? I'm so mad at that company, yet sad that a place I loved so much did all of this to me simply because I followed procedures and identified as disabled.

Congrats on your success....

Life experience will teach you to let go of this:

But remember that lying, manipulative, crybaby temp who has been sexually harassing me and leaving everyone else to do her work because she is so lazy? The one who lied on her resume? Well, they are hiring it permanently. I'm furious. How in the heck does that happen? I'm so mad at that company, yet sad that a place I loved so much did all of this to me simply because I followed procedures and identified as disabled.

Other people are insignificant unless you give them significance. They're just an imperfect organism with a relatively fragile and brief life. Don't bother. Move on.

Simply be happy that you work somewhere else & trust that karma will take care of the rest.