Underemployed seeks answer to rejection

HI

Underemployed mom and caregiver seeks new work home. My current place of work is aestheticly wonderful, professionally interesting and rewarding but does not offer the number of hours I need to pay bills etc. Sp I am looking elsewhere.

Recent job interview seemed to go very well. Then I got the dreaded letter. According to the paper my work history and interview information lead them to conclude they would continue to search. Polite and vague....In other words, I am not getting the job. This is after I even gave them a day where I observed the routine in the department. I was not paid but I was there for the full day.

I was willing to be part time or full time and make a 30 min commute and even to work nights. There were 5 openings in the department and there is a need certainly. Despite desperate company need and despite a clear history of doing this type of work. Embarassing. All my community work, I have been strong leader in professional association but in my paid work I seem to be stuck completely.

I am reentering the work force after being very part time and perhaps my frequent job changes or an unsatisfactory reference would be the real problem. How can I change when I do not know exactly the problem and get started on making new job experience if I cannot get a job. My current job is so part time at present. If it were a poor reference would they not say that in the letter or is it implied. Human resources is confusing.

I have great successes at work but my work history is irratic due to raising family and changes in responsibilities. Also I have a bankruptcy and job loss over 10 years ago. But subsequent jobs were increasing in responsiblities. I just usually left after 3 or 4 years due to family needs. I was cutting back my hours or changing roles due to home responsibilites. But is that not normal part of life? Now kids are growing up and I need real work environment. 30 years I have worked in same field but 5 different places due to hours and family needs.

I wish I could go back to school but cannot afford it. I wish I could stay part time but again, need the income. So do I change professions completely? Is my career completely a mess? Caregiving roles seem to have openings.

There must be something up as 2 past interviews I heard no response at all...and recent promotion w current employer went right over me -- other candidate had more education. My reviews are all good.

Let me know how to proceed. Maybe I am missing something.

My guess would be that the inconsistent work history would be a huge factor. Employers like to see a constant work history because anything else shows unreliability. Employers don't want to be left empty handed if you choose to up and leave, like your history indiciates REGARDLESS of the real reasons behind it.

Also, a lot of companies are now checking credit histories as part of the hiring process. They don't call it a credit history, they refer to it as a character check but in essence, they run your credit. A bankruptcy would definitely dissuade a company from hiring a candidate as well.

My advice to you would be to find a full time job, for now, that will pay the bills. Pick something that you can stick with and that will help to build your resume. Child care pays decently and something you're obviously experienced in since you have kids.

In the meantime, can you qualify for student loans or scholarships? You'd be surprised how many scholarships are out there. Check out the Mannie Fae Foundation. They are good with scholarships. Definitely do all you can to get the education level you need to excel. That's so important in this day in age.

For now though, find a full time job and stick with it, check into student loans/scholarships, get your degree and then the work world will be more forgiving and accepting of you. Best of luck to you!

PS-- The employer, in a letter, does not have to state whether they rejected you due to a poor reference. Their generic reason that they found someone else more qualified for the position is a standard response.

Nocturnalkitee
Originally posted by Leikela

Also, a lot of companies are now checking credit histories as part of the hiring process. They don't call it a credit history, they refer to it as a character check but in essence, they run your credit. A bankruptcy would definitely dissuade a company from hiring a candidate as well.

and accepting of you. Best of luck to you!

I have a friend that has been working for a company for 15 years, and he applied for an opening within the same company. Everyone felt that he was totally qualified for this postion. Now I know why he was turned down. He filed for bankruptcy several years ago.

Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by Nocturnalkitee

I have a friend that has been working for a company for 15 years, and he applied for an opening within the same company. Everyone felt that he was totally qualified for this postion. Now I know why he was turned down. He filed for bankruptcy several years ago.

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome for the info! It's getting out of hand, in my opinion, with all this credit checking stuff. It seems like you have to get your credit checked for everything these days. Car insurance companies base your credit history on what kind of rate they give you. Crazy, huh? Credit is checked if you want a cell phone, utilities, even if you want an apartment they check your credit... Just insane.

Why not call the interviewers and ask for hints for your next interview? Some may not comply but others just might. It's better than trying to second-guess people.

This credit check thing sounds stupid. What does that have to do with a person's ability to do a job? Haven't you got any sort of privacy laws that cover your financial information? I see no reason on the planet why an employer would need a credit check.

This credit check thing sounds stupid. What does that have to do with a person's ability to do a job? Haven't you got any sort of privacy laws that cover your financial information? I see no reason on the planet why an employer would need a credit check.

Unfortunately, with all the stories one reads these days regarding corporate theft, employee theft, embezzlement, and so on ...that's the first thing a prospective employer checks now - in some cases even before bothering to look at your work history and references.

Sadder still, in a lot of states this is one instance in which privacy laws do not apply.