Why would a coworker want to share "bad news" with other employees about the company?

Today this stupid women I came across while walking down the hall told me to walk with her to the back so she could tell me a rumor. The rumor was we supposed to be moving in March or April. First of all why would someone want to share news that will make some sad or mad? Isn't that what the news media is for? I don't want anyone going out of their way to tell me something negative. Now I don't even want to be around her anymore because if it's bad news you supposed to let other employees find out on their own

Then said she........"Don't say anything"

She don't have to worry about me spreading that awful news lol

Lernaean_Hydra
The rumor was we supposed to be moving in March or April. First of all why would someone want to share news that will make some sad or mad?

Well, maybe some people enjoy being blissfully unaware of dire circumstances ahead but I'd damn sure like to know.

• Like 3
  • Author
Well, maybe some people enjoy being blissfully unaware of dire circumstances ahead but I'd damn sure like to know.

If it's bad news let me find out on my own

I am a bit confused. If the company was planning a massive layoff, for example, you wouldn't want to be told/warned about it? You would rather find out on your own, where finding out would most likely be you being told it is your last day with the company? And to go further, how would you find out "bad news" on your own? I doubt it would be posted on facebook, you would have to speak with someone, which again just reverts back to someone telling you...

• Like 8
  • Author
I am a bit confused. If the company was planning a massive layoff, for example, you wouldn't want to be told/warned about it? You would rather find out on your own, where finding out would most likely be you being told it is your last day with the company? And to go further, how would you find out "bad news" on your own? I doubt it would be posted on facebook, you would have to speak with someone, which again just reverts back to someone telling you...

meaning that I would rather be told by management if it's something bad

if it's something good I don't mind being told by a coworker

Lernaean_Hydra
If it's bad news let me find out on my own

So, you'd rather wait to be told by "management" (who may well wait until the last minute) than be given advanced warning by a coworker?

I mean....okay, to each his own I guess but a lot of people would tend to disagree with you there.

On another note, you legitimately seem to find a new topic to complain about or take issue with EVER. SINGLE. DAY. And most of them are very minor at best. Is this like, some weird quirk of yours? Are you just a generally unhappy person? I mean what's the deal here? Because this patten of yours is not only tiresome but quite disconcerting.

• Like 2
  • Author
So, you'd rather wait to be told by "management" (who may well wait until the last minute) than be given advanced warning by a coworker?

I mean....okay, to each his own I guess but a lot of people would tend to disagree with you there.

On another note, you legitimately seem to find a new topic to complain about or take issue with EVER. SINGLE. DAY. And most of them are very minor at best. Is this like, some weird quirk of yours? Are you just a generally unhappy person? I mean what's the deal here? Because this patten of yours is not only tiresome but quite disconcerting.

well it's not minor to me since I have to get up earlier. But maybe I am having anxiety for nothing and it would happen.

Lernaean_Hydra
well it's not minor to me since I have to get up earlier. But maybe I am having anxiety for nothing and it would happen.

So wait, it's actually major to you but you'd rather not have been told until possibly the 25th hour? Idgi....:confused:

• Like 3
  • Author
So wait, it's actually major to you but you'd rather not have been told until possibly the 25th hour? Idgi....:confused:

I guess that's what makes me different, I don't like someone telling me something that is going to annoy me.

This. I would much rather know and get a head start on my job search rather than being tossed out on my a$$, which is exactly what happened to me on Dec 2013.

• Like 1
I guess that's what makes me different, I don't like someone telling me something that is going to annoy me.

Even if it's inevitable? :confused:

You are very much in a minority, I can assure you. If I knew of something that negatively impacted the others in the future and I didn't tell them, they would be very pissed with me and consider me disloyal. Quite rightly so.

• Like 3

She told you because she wanted to seem more important, that she knew something you didn't.

Your view that you don't want to know is a minority point of view. Most people would want a heads up.

Companies tend to hide vital news from their employees until the last minute, so I appreciate any info I get ahead of time, and many would consider it their duty to let others in on it if it could affect them adversely. In this case, there isn't enough info to be very useful, but at least in case it's moving far away, you could think about what your plan would be.

• Like 3
  • Author
She told you because she wanted to seem more important, that she knew something you didn't.

Your view that you don't want to know is a minority point of view. Most people would want a heads up.

You maybe right because she works in the file room.

I would be stunned if we left a nice business area like this to a horrible crime looking neighborhood. That's why part of me won't allow me to believe it because it just doesn't make sense

• Author
Companies tend to hide vital news from their employees until the last minute, so I appreciate any info I get ahead of time, and many would consider it their duty to let others in on it if it could affect them adversely. In this case, there isn't enough info to be very useful, but at least in case it's moving far away, you could think about what your plan would be.

It's not moving that far away just in a area that doesn't look safe

The new place may offer lower rent or tax incentives for helping to revitalize an emerging neighborhood. Do you know what your employer's cash flow position looks like? If it's not rosy, perhaps it's time to get your resume together & be grateful about the heads up.

• Like 1

What you are doing is putting your head in the sand and refusing to accept bad news.

Instead of accepting the news you are blaming the messenger, and no doubt had you been left in the dark till the last minute, you would be the first to complain, as to why she didn't tell you months ago...

Take your head out of the sand, use your intelligence, suss out the veracity of the info and if you are convinced it is true, then use this info wisely to your own advantage.

• Like 1
  • Author
The new place may offer lower rent or tax incentives for helping to revitalize an emerging neighborhood. Do you know what your employer's cash flow position looks like? If it's not rosy, perhaps it's time to get your resume together & be grateful about the heads up.

we just got a raise 4 months ago and they just hired new people last month and still hiring so cash flow is fine

• Like 1
we just got a raise 4 months ago and they just hired new people last month and still hiring

New people need paid, so perhaps moving to low rent area will offset some of those costs.

• Like 1
  • Author
What you are doing is putting your head in the sand and refusing to accept bad news.

Instead of accepting the news you are blaming the messenger, and no doubt had you been left in the dark till the last minute, you would be the first to complain, as to why she didn't tell you months ago...

Take your head out of the sand, use your intelligence, suss out the veracity of the info and if you are convinced it is true, then use this info wisely to your own advantage.

I have and already identified a route if it was to happen but still would not be thrilled to wake up 30 mins earlier

• Author
New people need paid, so perhaps moving to low rent area will offset some of those costs.

I don't think so because I wanna believe budgets were approved to hire those people. You don't bring on new people without knowing if you can pay them.

Even moving a short distance can affect some people who maybe share a car with their spouse or whatever. I don't see why anyone would object to her saying that.

• Like 1
I don't think so because I wanna believe budgets were approved to hire those people. You don't bring on new people without knowing if you can pay them.

expansion often also comes with lowering overheads such as rent..

I would be ok with a colleague giving me a heads up on the murmurs within the company and that was probably what she thought she was doing. Rather than "delivering bad news".

• Author
expansion often also comes with lowering overheads such as rent..

I would be ok with a colleague giving me a heads up on the murmurs within the company and that was probably what she thought she was doing. Rather than "delivering bad news".

Well like I said she doesn't have to worry about me telling anyone that news

Yes budgets will have been approved but if the company is expanding then it may not be able to do that if it continues to pay high rent, hence the proposed move.

Just because the news newly broke, doesn't mean this is a recent decision by the company owners.

Rents come up for review periodically and I guess they have taken advantage of that, to find other accommodation in a lower cost area.

Knowing that extra money was going to be available soon, may have spurred them on to hire new staff to meet demand or to expand their company.