AHoleLotOfCrazy

I'm looking for other people's opinions about my current situation. I'm currently a District Manager for a chain of retail book stores. I have 11 stores and 70+ employees under me. I have been with this company for 4 years and have opened 3 of the stores myself. It is a small company and I work directly for the owner which means there is no where else to go as far as up. I've pretty much plateaued. I'm still pretty young at 28 and I would ultimately like to be a DM for a larger company.

The old company I worked for before my current position has recently had a shift in management. The old DM was pretty much forced to resign (she was doing a lot of unethical things and was one of the main reasons I left that company). I was not in a management role during the time I worked for this company, but I have since gained a lot of experience through my current position. I interviewed with my old company today and they want me to come in for a second interview this Friday. I think they are considering making me what they consider an assistant manager. I cannot get over the idea of going from a DM down to an AM.

Now the old company is a much, much larger chain and the AM position would more than likely pay more than my current DM position. Also, I would be in a GM program which means they would be training me to one day become a general manager of a store, which then I'd have to work my way to the DM position, and that would be my ultimate goal. I understand that most companies promote from within so it would be hard to just walk into a new company as a DM, but I expected to start out as a store manager, not an assistant. Am I just getting hung up on the labels? It just feels like such a downgrade after all I've accomplished in the last 4 years. The old company does offer really good benefits, as well as good pay plus commission, and they offer more time off than my current employer.

My question is, if you are already a district manager, would you step down to an assistant manager to start out in another company that offers better pay and benefits or would you keep looking for something that is a little closer to your experience level? Thank you for any and all advice!

If it pays more and you like the company and consider it viable for the future, take the change in title and laugh all the way to the bank. Be sure to ask them what they road is to DM or advancement.

I'm looking for other people's opinions about my current situation. I'm currently a District Manager for a chain of retail book stores. I have 11 stores and 70+ employees under me. I have been with this company for 4 years and have opened 3 of the stores myself. It is a small company and I work directly for the owner which means there is no where else to go as far as up. I've pretty much plateaued. I'm still pretty young at 28 and I would ultimately like to be a DM for a larger company.

The old company I worked for before my current position has recently had a shift in management. The old DM was pretty much forced to resign (she was doing a lot of unethical things and was one of the main reasons I left that company). I was not in a management role during the time I worked for this company, but I have since gained a lot of experience through my current position. I interviewed with my old company today and they want me to come in for a second interview this Friday. I think they are considering making me what they consider an assistant manager. I cannot get over the idea of going from a DM down to an AM.

Now the old company is a much, much larger chain and the AM position would more than likely pay more than my current DM position. Also, I would be in a GM program which means they would be training me to one day become a general manager of a store, which then I'd have to work my way to the DM position, and that would be my ultimate goal. I understand that most companies promote from within so it would be hard to just walk into a new company as a DM, but I expected to start out as a store manager, not an assistant. Am I just getting hung up on the labels? It just feels like such a downgrade after all I've accomplished in the last 4 years. The old company does offer really good benefits, as well as good pay plus commission, and they offer more time off than my current employer.

My question is, if you are already a district manager, would you step down to an assistant manager to start out in another company that offers better pay and benefits or would you keep looking for something that is a little closer to your experience level? Thank you for any and all advice!

I work in the retail/hospitality space. I would strongly recommend not taking the drop down. That is a big difference going from multi-unit to single unit and an assistant manager. Titles mean a lot and it would be hard to explain to other prospect employer why you made the decision.

I would say, update your profile on linked - in, start contact recruiters in the retail space and see about concepts you would like to work for. Or tell your old company you are interested but nothing less than parallel and hold to it.

I can see maybe dropping down to a GM with the commitment that you are fast tracked to a DM role but that is too big, even if it is a big box company.

Have you thought about moving around the retail space into hospitality, food, etc? All similar and may open some doors for you.