This is not a relationship question. However, I believe this may be the most appropriate forum for the post. Hopefully the mods will mercifully move it if I am wrong.

Does anyone have any experience working in the non-profit sector? I am contemplating seeking employment in that field, and would like to bounce questions off of someone.

I've thought about it, but I never went for it but from my research non profits have a very high job satisfaction rating but generally don't pay well, for obvious reasons, especially in my area where it's pricey to live.

One of my business prof's in school was an HR buff and he would always say something along the lines of working non profit you will love your job but will be hungry, or something like that. If you are interested though I would look into it!

This is not a relationship question. However, I believe this may be the most appropriate forum for the post. Hopefully the mods will mercifully move it if I am wrong.

Does anyone have any experience working in the non-profit sector? I am contemplating seeking employment in that field, and would like to bounce questions off of someone.

A little. I had a holiday job working for a church run residential centre for kids with learning difficulties years back. Also spend a bit of time working on a helpline for children. Both were very good working experiences. With the helpline in particular, it was at the top of a high building and I always felt a bit as though I was in heaven. All high up, with these incredibly kind and nice people all around.

I don't recall a single person I didn't really like there. It was a very short part time job to fit in with another part time job I had - and I left purely to take up a full time job elsewhere. Even though I'd barely been there for any length of time, they bought me presents and made a big fuss of me leaving. Really nice place and nice people.

• Like 1

My only experience with a non-profit was working for our local credit union and I recall my expense account was quite liberal. I did it to help out and not as my primary income so the pay didn't really matter that much. The rank and file made decent enough money that there were some there from long before I came on board and were there after I moved on. I remember one employee in particular who first signed me up for an account when I was 12 years old and finally retired when the CU merged with another CU a couple years ago. She had been there over 40 years. Our family had joined back when there were under 100 members and credit unions were a new non-profit entity in the banking industry.

If you're talking about charity-type non-profits I have no experience as a paid employee, only volunteer experience, but would opine that some can be labors of love, not pay and others can be quite lucrative. It depends. Just like any other job, qualify the company and industry and see if it matches up with personal goals.

I've worked for and volunteered for several nonprofits and I will say that I was treated much better when I was a volunteer. As an employee, depending on your field of course, nonprofits can provide great opportunities to gain experience. This is often because they have so little funding that if you're that eager beaver with a lot of time and the willingness to learn a skill or share an existing skill that would otherwise be too costly to them then they'll let you. They're also very willing to cross train and give special projects if you speak up.

When I worked for nonprofits I was focused on learning new skills/gaining experience and other perks (schedule flexibility for example) that made a smaller paycheck doable, but knew that eventually I'd move on. Now that I've moved away from nonprofit employment I can volunteer and still do whatever I want without the hassle of punching a clock.

GorillaTheater

I'm telling you, man, public sector is where I'm happiest. No time sheets or billing and I handle my files as I see fit with little or no supervision.

I work for a non-profit. That translates to "work very hard for little pay." If you really care about the cause/service the company represents you will be fine, but if you are ambivalent, you will be miserable. I love my job but it's not for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm telling you, man, public sector is where I'm happiest. No time sheets or billing and I handle my files as I see fit with little or no supervision.

Public sector does sound sweet. However, I imagine that opportunities do not abound given the state of my state. I imagine they may require an L.L.M. as well?

But no time-sheets, no billing, no advertising, no calls at 6pm on Sunday about how Dad dropped the kids off and they were sick and covered in vomit and I need to "do something" (yeah, I'll file an ex-parte 'no vomit' order)? Yes please!