i think i got hired because my manager likes me

he was the one that interviewed me and hired me(i will call him M). at the time i didn't think that i was a possibility. mostly because were i work is a fairly large place and he is incharge of like a 100 other people, so it didn't cross my mind at first. also he not my direct manager; M is in a higher position then she is.

then... i don't know how to explain....he started to give me a weird feeling(vibe), that not to say that his is some weirdo or creep. it's just a feeling that seems to feel different from normal. ( i know i can't put it in words. sorry)

other then my feeling i get there are things that he does that standout. one came to my attention from my co-worker (i will just call her J). J started working were i work a year before i came. she the one that told me he keeps doing things that he would normally tell someone else to do(i think he wanted to be near me). i never gave what she told serious thought mostly because we were very busy; especially so because it was the holidays.

now though i have other reason as to why i really think it is likely M likes me. there have been three incidence. the first is he blocked my way.... were i work, when i clock-in i have to walk to were we get a shipments for store so there is a lot of boxes in the way and there only a small path for some one to walk through and i have to go there to be able to get to my department. so that day when clock-in i walk through that little path and i seen him there. and i know that he seen me because he looked rite at me, but for some reason he grabbed one of the large boxes and blocked my path for a moment; i am pretty passive he didn't need the the large box ether.

the other incident that happen when i was clocking out for lunch. i had to walk through the receiving area (the place i just explain) to get to the computer to clock out. the receiving area is mostly male dominant, and i am on friendly terms with many of them. (also i grow up around mostly guys so i know when take what they say seriously or lightly). well M and the guys from receiving were all sitting near the computer that i had to use to clock out for lunch(which is only 45 minutes), so i clock out and i was almost out the door when i faintly heard one of the guys from receiving say " hey don't u guys think that she has a great ass". honestly i was offend by the comment; hell if he phrased it better could have been flattering (maybe):laugh:. it is when i got back from my lunch, that is the most amusing thing. M made the guy that said that comment about my ass, to do training on sexually harassment.

the last and final incident that happen so far was when i had to close with him.(i hate the closing shifts because you have to stay longer then you are scheduled, to help the other department with cleaning, and depending on the manager they topically don't unlocking the doors let people out.) that day i really couldn't stay long after my shift because had to catch the bus, (my car was being repaired that week) so i couldn't afford to stay long after my shift and miss my bus. the only problem the door was lock, i had to ask him to open it. M open the the door for me, but not until i told him the "please" when i final said for him the please out the door i seen him smirk. i know it would be odd to says but i personally felt more sexually harassed having to pleaded to him; then hearing the comment about my ass, a week earlier.

so is it just me or does he like me?

Of course he likes you (...you have a great ass, after all). Bigger question is whether he has any strange intentions with you.

I know that I've given bad vibes to women I work with before. Doesn't mean I am after them, and in fact am usually thinking quite the opposite: "dammit she's hot, how do I be careful not to interact weirdly or stare at her." But then, I have the goal of never getting involved with someone at work.

He did reprimand the person who made that comment, and maybe he didn't understand the urgency of getting the door for you until you said 'please?' Or, maybe he is creeping hard for you...

• Like 1

So he actually said, like, "not until you say please" ?

Then i would look into the company's harassment policy, and whatever laws about it. Let him know that the incident that night made you uncomfortable and was unwanted, and then document it.

• Like 1
  • Author

i did look in the harassment policy. apparently being polite isn't considered harassment, but not only that. he did apologized too after it happened a few days later

you report him, get him a bad record, over one remark that you do not like, just one, no wonder he is now smirking and making you say please

next time, just say you have a boyf, be gentle about a flirt you do not like,

i assume you would want gentle treatment for a family member in his position?

Not how i see it. He had her locked inside of a building after her shift was over. There should be no pleading, or joking around over that.

More appropriate would be: "Open the f***ing door before i call the police."

Edited by chumble
  • Like 1

I would be unnerved if I was in the OP's situation as well. These two incidences alone warrant a trip to HR. In most cases, anything that makes you uncomfortable is considered harassment, which means immediate termination for a lot of companies. You could tell him that you are uncomfortable with his remarks or discuss these things with HR. I had a fellow employee make a comment about my butt before and I could have reported him. Funny thing is, he reported another coworker for sexual harassment. :eek: